JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went with an SWR Warlock as I don't really shoot with a suppressor much, I'll probably never "fill it up". I was tempted by the price, availability, and service-ability of a YHM Mite. But I'm glad I didn't. When you factor in the wait time for the paper work from the ATF you might as well wait for what you really want instead of what is available. At first $250(for the Mite) seemed like a bargain compared to $350(for the Warlock), but once you figure in the $200 tax stamp and extra expenses($10 for passport photo, $45 for fingerprint card at the sheriff's office) the price differential is a lot smaller. In the end I know I would have been disappointed with a can like the Mite or Tac 65 that makes a .22 pistol sound like a .22 rifle, and would have had to spend more money to get the can I should have bought in the first place.

All this said, if the ability to service my can was a priority I would have bought an SWR Spectre. A nice bonus with this can is that it is multi caliber rated too. So you can shoot .17 HMR, 5.7, .22 mag through it as well as .22lr.

I am looking into getting a silencer/suppressor for a Walther P22. I dont know much about this, but that there is a tax stamp on them of $200.00. Could someone give me the ins and outs of the process, and maybe suggest a few good quality silencers, and where to buy? I got to shoot a silenced P22 a few years ago, that all you could hear was the slide moving on the pistol. Thats what Im after, any suggestions/information? Thanks

I found a local friendly (private) dealer to help walk me through my first one. The local stocking dealers were jerks that thought they were the ONLY way to get NFA items in town. If you go through a local stocking dealer they should be able to help you with the process if they can't find another dealer!

Cool, thanks guys!

I dont think the people at Fort Moes like me much! I registered at their gun forum and never had any response at all.

I didnt know they did NFA stuff. Do they have a store in Milwaukie? I'll definately go there for my silencer needs, always good to deal local. So how does it work, I go in and pay for the silencer, and pay the tax stamp, and fill out the forms, and walk out with a silencer? Or do I have a horribly long government wait on my hands? Im a CHL holder, does that get me through the process any quicker?

Cool, thanks guys!

I dont think the people at Fort Moes like me much! I registered at their gun forum and never had any response at all.

I didnt know they did NFA stuff. Do they have a store in Milwaukie? I'll definately go there for my silencer needs, always good to deal local. So how does it work, I go in and pay for the silencer, and pay the tax stamp, and fill out the forms, and walk out with a silencer? Or do I have a horribly long government wait on my hands? Im a CHL holder, does that get me through the process any quicker?

Ha. You can't walk out with the silencer, you gotta wait until your Form 4 comes back approved, takes anywhere from 2-6 months. First the suppressor has to be in stock, if it isn't you gotta order it and wait for it to come in stock. If it is in stock, you pay for the suppressor, fill out the Form 4, and since I am doing the trust route I won't have to do the CLO/Fingerprint/Photo's, so I just fill out the Form 4, attach copies of my trust and a check for $200, send it in and wait. I am using FortMoe for mine, ordered the YHM Mite. Great guy to deal with. There is also a NFA transfer fee, varies by dealer. A CHL doesn't do anything to help you with this process.

Short answer: Get a Tactical Innovations TAC65. Excellent suppression. Works on either rifle or pistol. Lightweight and well made. Good price. Lots of them around. Lots of people own and understand them, which is a big plus. I own three.

Most important, the TAC series all disassemble completely for cleaning. Disassembly in centerfire suppressors is not as important as for rimfire cans. For rimfire suppressors it is critical in my experience. .22lr is incredibly cruddy stuff! You'll be amazed at the amount of residue you'll clean out of your can after just 500 rounds.

Don't forget to coat the inside of the tube, the outside of the baffles and the endcap threads with anti-seize after cleaning.

By the way I favor CCI minimags for pistols since its excellent quality control and its subsonic from pistol-length barrels. But its supersonic out of rifles so you'll have to find a different ammo for that.

There are quite a few .22 suppressors better than the Tac 65, but not without spending a bunch more money.

I bought one (have it at ORL right now), and is basically movie-quiet. However, the SWR Spectre is supposed to be measurably quieter, but is 2x the price. If you were to buy the Tac-65, you would most definitely be happy I would think.

The Tac is an aluminum can, meaning you can't use nasty things on it to clean all the lead off. Go for a stainless can. The Spectre definitely appears to be the best can for lifetime-investment. I have a YHM stainless Mite on order, not the best can, but it's what I can afford right now. The spectre will run you in the $450ish range (+200 tax stamp and $50 dealer fee, and other costs), the YHM about half that.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top