JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im starting my build of a dedicated .22, and I have wanted to build a SBR, but since I cant do that I am thinking of putting one of those spikes slip over fake cans. I really like that SD look and was wonderingn about fitment. If i get a 8.5" slip over is it going to interfere with the gas tube? Do I need to get a shorter gas tube?

What gun are you building it out of?

.22 does not use a gas tube, it is a blowback.

Not sure what you mean by slip over can. For the attachment to be counted as barrel length it has to be permanently attached to be counted as legal length. <broken link removed> ... apter2.pdf

See: NFA Handbook, Chapter 2 on pg. 2 for 2.1.3 Rifle...
"Acceptable methods for permanently attaching a device to a rifle barrel are deep penetrating, full fusion, gas or electric steel seam welds of high temperature silver solder. Depending on the dimensions of a particular barrel it may also be possible to permanently affix a muzzle attachment by drilling a blind hole through the attachment and into the barrel wall. A steel pin that is flush with or below the outside diameter of the attachment is then inserted and the hole welded closed."

Not sure why you dont just use a 16" barrel.

I think I remember that you can get a fake can from Spikes that has internally threads, meaning that it attaches at the loud end, but the can actually slides "back" over the barrel. You need a free-float hand-guard, but it gives the "appearance" of a short barrel with a can, but it's actually a 16" barrel.

yes you can, and that is exactly what I am talking about. But my question is, How far forward does a carbine length gas tube extend on the barrel. If I have a 16" barrel and I will be sliding 8.5" of fake suppressor over it that leaves me with 7.5". Giving my rifle the appearance of a 7.5" SBR with a suppressor. Now does the carbine length gas tube take up more than 7.5" of the barrel? or will I have to get a shorter gas tube for fitment issues?

If you check spikes website it tells you how far down the fake cans go. I got the car1 which is 5.25" on one of my rifles. There is still penty of room between the end of the fake can and the gas block...but like others said....there should not be a gas tube on a 22.

I have one of the Spikes fake suppressors (not sure what model). It is designed to cover part of the barrel (I got it as a "thread protector" since my SBR barrel is shorter than the forearm, that way the threads are clean when I use my real suppressor). The fake can I have would work with a carbine length gas system on a 5.56 AR, it DOES NOT work with my TacSol M4 upper since the end of the barrel is 1.5" shorter than a 16" 5.56 barrel (the .22lr barrel goes into the receiver 1.5" more than a 5.56 barrel would), and it comes up about 3/4" short. You could cut the fake can down simple enough, the rounded end with the gapping hole doesn't really look like a suppressor anyway.

I am looking at one that is similar to PDXGFX set up. it threads on at the far end so that it covers his barrel. I am looking at getting the SD-1 which is 8.5" so i am just not sure if it will fit with the length of the gas tube. If the suppressor slides back over 8.5" over the barrel it just seems to me that it will run into the gas tube underneath the rail. I guess I will just have to purchase one to find out and if it is to long I will just cut it. I am trying to describe it as best i can.

PDXGFX you say that there is plenty of room with the 5.25" but do you think that there is enough room with another 3.25" on top of that?

I am building an AR with a .22 conversion. So yes it will have a gas tube.

I think what's throwing them is that you wrote "dedicated .22" in your O.P.. If it's a "dedicated .22" delete the gas system-no problem. If you are planning a 5.56 that will also run a .22lr, call it a 5.56 and everyone will know what you are talking about.

The Spikes can I have (I think it's a 8.5"er) WILL clear the front sight/gas system of a carbine length gas system.

First off it helps to know that you are building an AR. Very helpful since there is more then one kind of .22 you can build to look like an SBR. It looks like they guys have set you right on parts.

If you are building a .22 upper only then you dont need a gas tube, it will do nothing for you. You dont even need a gas block unless you are using it for a front sight base. If you are planning on running 5.56 in it too then you will need a gas tube for that.

yes that is my fault for refering to it as dedicated. I plan on it being my "dedicated" .22 but will occasionally fire 5.56 for the cost of building it as a .22 only it does not seem worth it to me to have it dedicated to only .22 my fault.

On that rifle I posted there is 2.5" from the end of the fake can to the beginning of the YHM low profile gas block. Its a dpms sportical 16" upper.

That is exactly what i was looking for. So no, I will not be able to use the 8.5" I will either have to get the 6.75" get a shorter gas tube. Thank you

That is exactly what i was looking for. So no, I will not be able to use the 8.5" I will either have to get the 6.75" get a shorter gas tube. Thank you

Whats your overall plan for using a shorter gas tube?

Low profile gas block would likely be a better cure if " said can " will clear otherwise I believe your going to spend some $$$ . on machine work to relocate gas block for "shorter gas tube? "

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top