JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll be using an old AR-10 DPMS Gen 2 lower to build a 22-250 AR. I've 'heard' there are issues in feeding it with common magazines. Can anyone verify or provide advice? I'll probably be using a side charging upper from Bear Creek Arsenal.

Dan

Many years ago I had a Grendel SRT chambered in 22-250. The only bolt-action rifle design from KelTec founder George Kellgren. It was innovative, way ahead of its time, and — you guessed it — equipped with a folding stock. It was a tack driver with a heavy 26" bull barrel. When I got it it suffered from the same malady that every other George Kellgren design I've owned. Seems as though old George had the ability to think up marvelously innovative designs it's just that they always enter full production while still in the early stages of development.

The seven round blind magazine in my SRT from day one would not feed reliably. Seems that the fuller the magazine was the less likely it would feed.

To make a long story short the problem was the way the 22-250 rounds oriented in the magazine that was designed for the longer (by 3 tenths inch) loaded length of the .308 Win round the rifle was typically chambered for.

So... what to do, I made a spacer that secured to the inside back of the magazine to shorten the cavity front to back and shortened the follower to function in the reduced space. This allowed the ammo to stack in a more consistent manner, placed the bullet tips closer to the feed ramp there by improving how the round was feed without having its nose tip down preventing proper feed.

Is this the fix for your issue? Haven't a clue... just a thought.

I have been firing BCA 20" 22-250 for few months now… side charging. On Aero M5. Rise armament RAVE…. And prefer Carbine buffer… H3 does nothing for me.

Their proprietary Amend2 mag is not necessary at all unless you're really on the move. (Jumping rope) Pmag AR10… 10 rnd from the bench. I leave the 3D printed insert proprietary BCA thing at home. Kinda a joke if I say so.

I've shot several factory loads… REM, PMC, Federal… all varmint.
Hand loaded several bullet weights and different powders. Slow twists…..I've decided to just stick what is made for 55 grn.
I've experienced zero feed issues. ZERO In several hundred rounds.

I'm a beginner in loading so I'm in that curve…. But the accuracy is what you'd expect from 22-250…. But I've loaded rnds more accurately in a savage axis bolt rifle. I'm still on the hunt, for now.

I did like those 36 grn grenades …. Screaming. Magnito speed close to 4k fps my first and only loads on those for now. Playing safe from loading handbook for now.

I very much enjoy the cartridge.. zero at 100 still zero at 200…, that's the farthest I've been able to shoot for now.. range limit for now.
I'd post a pic but don't see it in my camera roll.

Good luck and enjoy

I had luck with 10 round magpul once I massaged the front of the feed lips to allow the rounds to tip up more. It functioned but it's a 20in Lother Wather bull barrel so it likes to sit in my safe.
IMHO I'd like to convert to 22 creed (via fireforming) , 308 body taper would feed much better. I have thousands of 22-250 brass to convert as well.

I'll be using an old AR-10 DPMS Gen 2 lower to build a 22-250 AR. I've 'heard' there are issues in feeding it with common magazines. Can anyone verify or provide advice? I'll probably be using a side charging upper from Bear Creek Arsenal.

Dan
I recently built a 22-250 in the AR platform and yes there are feeding issues. I purchased a 22-250 feed ram from Midwest Gunworks part Code: B3475624. I then took a ar308 magazine and cut the follower flat and epoxied the 22-250 follower on it. Then I trimmed the follower to slide into the mag. Loaded 10 rounds and they fired flawlessly. The only thing I need to do is apply some epoxy to the follower so it will hold the bolt open after the last shot. The piece cost $10 which is a lot better than the $170 magazine that's out there for sale. Good luck, I'm sure you'll love it. I do!!
Bob P

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top