JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So the idea of having a higher pressure round that causes the rifle to recoil more and is placed in a rifle that already has a higher felt recoil is just a bad idea… having a barrel that is capable of the higher pressure is part of the equation but they would have to change the springs to handle the recoil impulse and I would say that it would make sense to do something like the double capture spring of the Glock or something like that

I was thinking more of a modern design upgrade with some form of accessory rail(s), free floating barrel and optics mount, than a simple FAL furniture and barrel swap.

Yes the FAL is heavy as is (7.2-8.9#). So is any 7.62 battle rifle (7.9-11.6#) from the M1 to the SCAR-H. Comes with the 7.62x51 X20 capability. But the 6.8x51 is a physically lighter round.

But wasn't thinking of an assault rifle but a battle rifle for an WW3 scenario as opposed to urban combat.

Come to think of it, that is a lot like the SCAR-17 built with milled steel billets rather than extruded aluminum. So maybe a build using CNC'd titanium?

Last Edited:
I was thinking more of a modern design eith some form of accessory rail(s), free floating barrel and optics mount, than a simple FAL furniture and barrel swap.

Yes the FAL is heavy as is (7.2-8.9#). So is any 7.62 battle rifle (7.9-11.6#) from the M1 to the SCAR-H. Comes with the 7.62x51 X20 capability. But the 6.8x51 is a physically lighter round.

But wasn't thinking of an assault rifle but a battle rifle for an WW3 scenario as opposed to urban combat.
Like the idea of a battle rifle. The thing is comparing the felt weight of FAL vs felt weight of scar is different. M1A or M14 are being made with shorter barrels. If we're talking WW3 rifle I would still stick with either an AR or AK and a good bolt action. If I could only have one rifle vs the 2 I would go with whatever Sig's semi auto version will be for the caliber if money isn't a concern. However, I don't have it like that so I will stick to the tried and true 308 AR 10 or the Scar17s

The 6.8x51 definitely has a significantly higher recoil impact than the 5.56x45 current generations are used to, but it is still less than the 7.62x51 does from the same basic weapon. Not only are we as a culture FAR more risk averse but have decreasing average physicality 😢

Like the idea of a battle rifle. The thing is comparing the felt weight of FAL vs felt weight of scar is different. M1A or M14 are being made with shorter barrels. If we're talking WW3 rifle I would still stick with either an AR or AK and a good bolt action. If I could only have one rifle vs the 2 I would go with whatever Sig's semi auto version will be for the caliber if money isn't a concern. However, I don't have it like that so I will stick to the tried and true 308 AR 10 or the Scar17s
One of the reasons I was looking at the 6.8x51. 1000m capable 3000fps velocity 135gr FMJ able to defeat modern armor from a 16" barrel. Using an 18.5" barrel brings that to about 3100fps or a 140gr to just over 3000fps.

Last Edited:
Generally, I agree. But the ammount of data from various sources out there says otherwise.

I am aware of the "Army Next Generation Squad Weapon" but they have been saying the same thing for decades. It's always the same story, they'll get a couple hundred maybe a thousand or two and in the process of ringing them out will discover the high chamber pressure is killing guns, the woke soy boy Marine can't handle the recoil and target scores will plummet, their fancy hybrid case is choking and supply can't keep up with shooting all those Russians and Chinese, so everyone will be using an AR. Bottom line, the AR will continue to be America's weapon for the next 50 years, unless Elon Musk invents the phaser or Beijing Brandon sells the farm to China, in that case it'll be the gulags. Anyway, like I said I'll believe it when I see it, not in some internet article but actually happening.

I am aware of the "Army Next Generation Squad Weapon" but they have been saying the same thing for decades. It's always the same story, they'll get a couple hundred maybe a thousand or two and in the process of ringing them out will discover the high chamber pressure is killing guns, the woke soy boy Marine can't handle the recoil and target scores will plummet, their fancy hybrid case is choking and supply can't keep up with shooting all those Russians and Chinese, so everyone will be using an AR. Bottom line, the AR will continue to be America's weapon for the next 50 years, unless Elon Musk invents the phaser or Beijing Brandon sells the farm to China, in that case it'll be the gulags. Anyway, like I said I'll believe it when I see it, not in some internet article but actually happening.
Fair enough. Disagree but your prediction is definitely possible. I guess we will see in a few years.

I am aware of the "Army Next Generation Squad Weapon" but they have been saying the same thing for decades. It's always the same story, they'll get a couple hundred maybe a thousand or two and in the process of ringing them out will discover the high chamber pressure is killing guns, the woke soy boy Marine can't handle the recoil and target scores will plummet, their fancy hybrid case is choking and supply can't keep up with shooting all those Russians and Chinese, so everyone will be using an AR. Bottom line, the AR will continue to be America's weapon for the next 50 years,
So what you are saying is that she is more of a man than the Marines? Or maybe the NGSW (Next Generation Squad Wimp) :D

I'm quite possible in a minority, but any more I'm all about lightweight and more ammo. I had a shorty DSA FAL years ago and IMO is was a chunk of steel and not something desirable for packing long distance. #imnotatier1beast

So what you are saying is that she is more of a man than the Marines? Or maybe the NGSW (Next Generation Squad Wimp) :D

And she had to lean in to the point where she was about to fall over and by the time she emptied a mag was almost standing straight up. Yeah, a super mild recoil that...

And she had to lean in to the point where she was about to fall over and by the time she emptied a mag was almost standing straight up. Yeah, a super mild recoil that...
I noticed it too but the point was the fact that she could handle it better than the tenderfoot nowadays first thing. Also she fired it full auto. Then there's the point that she over exaggerates the stance because she is only 5'4" and 115 lbs and it looks cooler for the video but hey like I said it proves that it can be fired full auto by a girl that's got more spine than most people. Just like the fact that we shot the M60e3 in the 90's just like in Rambo to prove that it could be done. I taught my daughter how to one hand shoot a 3" 12ga slug from a shotgun.

I noticed it too but the point was the fact that she could handle it better than the tenderfoot nowadays first thing. Also she fired it full auto. Then there's the point that she over exaggerates the stance because she is only 5'4" and 115 lbs and it looks cooler for the video but hey like I said it proves that it can be fired full auto by a girl that's got more spine than most people. Just like the fact that we shot the M60e3 in the 90's just like in Rambo to prove that it could be done. I taught my daughter how to one hand shoot a 3" 12ga slug from a shotgun.
Back in my (and probably your) day guns were common tools and most of us learned to shoot as soon as we were big enough to reach the trigger. Nowadays even though there are still a lot of guns they are mostly in the toy and not tool category. That's why so many lean away instead of into until coached properly.

As far as a girl handling a given round for the most part they can shoot almost anything if not everything a man can by using correct form and not fighting recoil as opposed to controlling it. I still see that video as a stunt. A combat weapon needs to be easy to fire in combat positions under combat conditions.

I'm a bit leery of the MCX monniker on the weapon. The MCX is an awesome rifle when it works. When it fails it's not easy to get back into service especially in the field. I'm not sold on it as a "my life depends on it" arm unless Sig has really fixed it's engineering issues.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top