JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
byAWR HAWKINS2 Jun 2015206

During the Tuesday airing ofFox News'The Five, Geraldo Rivera said Vince Vaughn's pro-gun statements reminded him "of Timothy McVeigh and the militias."

On Monday, Breitbart News reportedBritish GQ magazine asked Vaughn about "the American right to own a gun" and Vaughn said:

We have the right to bear arms to resist the supreme power of a corrupt and abusive government. It's not about duck hunting; it's about the ability of the individual. It's the same reason we have freedom of speech. It's well known that the greatest defense against an intruder is the sound of a gun hammer being pulled back.

British GQ then turned to the current push to put guns in schools so teachers/staff can use them to protect children.

They asked if guns should "be allowed in school," and Vaughn responded:

Of course. You think the politicians that run my country and your country don't have guns in the schools their kids go to? They do. And we should be allowed the same rights. Banning guns is like banning forks in an attempt to stop making people fat.

When Geraldo heard these things, he heard Timothy McVeigh — the man who bombed the Alfred P. Murrah building in Oklahoma City on April 19, 1995, thereby killing 168 people.

Geraldo mocked Vaughn's contention that the Founding Fathers hedged in the right to bear arms so we could resist tyranny not only outside our borders, but also within. He facetiously said, "Anyone who thinks they need guns, there is a gun for every man, woman, and child in the country, to protect against the corrupt, and arrogant, and pervasive government" of which Vaughn spoke.

Geraldo later denied that guns are used by law-abiding citizens to stop crimes. He asked fellow host Eric Bolling, "When was the last time you heard of a civilian stopping a crime with a gun?" And when Bolling said, "It happens thousands of times per day," Geraldo responded by saying, "That's a legend. You're watching too much True Detective."

The number Bolling was looking for was 2,082 defensive gun uses (DGUs) per day. That number comes from Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck's scholarly work showing a minimum of 760,000 DGUs a year.

That's not a typo — guns are lawfully used by civilians to save lives or thwart burglaries, kidnappings, etc., 760,000 timesevery year. Far from legend,Breitbart News previously reportedthat Kleck reaffirmed these findings on February 17 and explained that no one has produced empirical evidence to refute them since he first put them forth in 1993.

If Geraldo wants to see individual instances he can study for himself, here are just a few of the DGUs that took place in November 2014 through January 2015:

(Nov. 30) A Washington state mother shot an alleged home invader to save her children.

(Dec. 8) A veteran confined to walker used a gun to stop home invasion.

(Dec. 9) Antioch, California, homeowner opened fire on two home invaders.

(Dec. 19) A 14-year-old shot and killed an intruder to save grandparents.

(Dec. 20) A man used a handgun in self-defense when confronted by an armed robber outside an Ohio mall. He killed the would-be robber, ending the attack.

(Dec. 26) A Good Samaritan witnessed domestic attack, pulled pistol, and held the man at gunpoint until police arrived.

(Dec. 27) A home invader put a gun to a woman's neck in Memphis. The invader was shot and killed by the homeowner.

(Dec. 28) A Bucks County, Pennsylvania, resident shot an intruder who broke through the glass door on her apartment.

(Dec. 29) A home invader was shot and killed after a pregnant woman helped fight him off.

(Dec. 30) A pastor shot a man who attacked him inside the church.

(Dec. 30) A Texas fireworks stand owner used a gun to shoot and stop armed robbers.

(Jan. 9) Four armed robbers stormed a women's gun store in Shawnee, Kansas, and the co-owner's life was spared when her husband intervened by opening fire on the suspects.

(Jan. 10) A California homeowner survived an initial attack by a home invader, retrieved gun, and held the suspect at gunpoint until police arrived.

(Jan. 11) A man put a gun to a Papa John's Pizza delivery woman's head; she pulled her own gun and shot him in the face.

(Jan. 12) An armed robber in a Milwaukee barber shop was shot and killed by a patron with a concealed carry license/handgun.

(Jan. 13) An armed Taco Bell robber ordered would-be victim to drop his pants, but the victim pulled his gun instead and shot the robber dead.

If Geraldo wants a more recent example: On May 31, Todd C. Scott used his handgunto stop a mass shooting and save lives in the Magnet Bottle liquor store in Conyers, Georgia.

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at [email protected].

The longer I pay attention to Geraldo's flapping lips the more he pisses me off.

Denfenive use is way up and criminals know it and they are aware where they have free reign.

Geraldo doesn't have anymore secret underground gangster tunnels to unearth, so he needs to make himself relevant somehow.

A man's gotta eat dontcha know :rolleyes:

The Kleck study is from the 90's, and since then, violent crime rate has has decreased by 50% from 1994 to 2013.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...and_rate_per_100000_inhabitants_1994-2013.xls

Assuming a direct correlation between violent crime and the use of defensive gun usages, the number of times that a good guy uses a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun will also decrease at a similar rate. If there are fewer violent crimes being committed, then there are fewer opportunities to legally defend yourself.

That said, there are no studies on defensive gun usage since the 1990's. Also, there are no new studies on where criminals get their guns since the 1990's. I wonder why this is....

That said, there are no studies on defensive gun usage since the 1990's. Also, there are no new studies on where criminals get their guns since the 1990's. I wonder why this is....

incoming devil's advocate comment:
Because the NRA pushed legislation to prevent gun violence studies.

Jerry Rivers has always been an anti gun liberal, even before he changed his name to Geraldo. Typical of the left he avoids the truth like a vampire avoids a cross in the movies.:confused:

incoming devil's advocate comment:
Because the NRA pushed legislation to prevent gun violence studies.

Unfortunately, the NRA screwed the pooch on that one... It's much easier to push hard, relevant facts than it is to push outdated studies.

Colorado D.A. Confirms Shooting Of Three Thugs Was "Common Sense Self-Defense"
Posted by Bob Owens on June 1, 2015 at 8:03 am
  • 8K SHARES

A trio of young thugs attempted to rob three men moving furniture into a condo in Aurora, Colorado Friday night. Two of the men accosted handed over their wallets. The third pulled his legally-concealed weapon and opened fire, hitting all three suspects:

One robbery suspect died on the way to the hospital. A second robbery suspect suffered serious injuries. A third fled, but walked into to Aurora South Medical Center where he was arrested.

The shooter had a concealed to carry weapons permit and put the gun down when he saw officers arriving.

Brauchler says Colorado's self-defense law allows the use of deadly force.

"If you have a weapon on you and you are placed in imminent fear of serious bodily injury or death, you are entitled to defend yourself," Brauchler said.

Brauchler noted it's not a case of Make My Day because the shooting didn't happen inside a residence.

"This is straight up regular common sense and statutorily codified self-defense," he said.

All three suspects were shot as they stood in a 10′ x 6′ space between two doors.

Though the robbers have been described as "young people," which is typically reserved for teens, the identities of the young men and their exact ages have not been discovered Aurora Police Chief Nick Metz said that they are looking for help in ascertaining who the three suspects are. The dead criminal obviously cannot speak, and the two surviving criminals either can't speak, or think that by remaining silent they are somehow helping themselves.

Colorado Revised Statute § 18-3-102 is the state's implementation of the felony murder rule, meaning that the two injured criminals can face first degree murder charges for the death of their compatriot.

by Taboola
Promoted Links

You May Like

The Kleck study is from the 90's, and since then, violent crime rate has has decreased by 50% from 1994 to 2013.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...and_rate_per_100000_inhabitants_1994-2013.xls

Assuming a direct correlation between violent crime and the use of defensive gun usages, the number of times that a good guy uses a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun will also decrease at a similar rate. If there are fewer violent crimes being committed, then there are fewer opportunities to legally defend yourself.

That said, there are no studies on defensive gun usage since the 1990's. The Also, there are no new studies on where criminals get their guns since the 1990's. I wonder why this is....
I would contend the biggest reason violent crime is down is because the number of people whom conceal carry are up. Therefor there is more opportunity for people to defend themselves and their property while away from their homes. Thereby lowering the number of attacks against persons or property. As I have done twice since being legally allowed to carry. When I was younger, it would have been a fight. (Or if I was a liberal a mugging) As it went they simply went on their way and I went mine.

As amended I'm pretty sure this better reflects the reality of the situation, at least for the time in question.

Even if very biased studies are done, which happens in any science field, is that they can be scrutinized and if the data cant be reproduced in an independent study then they are considered useless.

The problem though is the media loves to make some wild conclusions based on some study that they have no idea how to properly interpret and put on their own bias. That's why you see news articles that occasionally say "study shows cheese burgers are actually great for your health."

Unfortunately, the media should not be the ones that interpret studies for the general public. Politicians shouldnt either.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top