JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In other words "We know what's best for the people. You'll have to trust us on this one. Now go back where you belong. We have things under control"
Response from Reardon,

Hello Lars,

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns with Senate Bill 554.

This bill would leave the decision on whether to allow Conceal Handgun Licenses (CHL) holders in public buildings by those who know their communities best, not politicians in Salem. Furthermore, Oregon has not raised the CHL fee since the 1990s. It currently has the 24th lowest initial fee and the 30th lowest renewal fee in the nation.

The addition of firearm storage language to SB 554 (the concepts from HB 2510) aims to address firearm suicides and accidental shootings. Currently, Oregon has no requirement for gun owners to secure their firearms when not in use, leaving firearms available for children and individuals in crisis to obtain and harm themselves or others. It would require firearms to be securely stored when not in the control of the owner of the authorized user. Failure to follow these requirements is a violation, not a criminal penalty.

I voted for SB 554 because it promotes responsible gun ownership, reduces the number of suicides, and creates safer public spaces for our communities. I regret that we don't see eye to eye on this issue, but hope you can understand my perspective.

Thank you again for contacting me about this important issue. Please reach out to my office if you have any additional questions, or would like to bring any other issues to my attention.

Jeff Reardon
State Representative District 48
Wow. That's the kind of response I'd expect from...

226A34F3-EB4F-4ED5-AEA6-A824674D1718.jpeg

Response from Reardon,

Hello Lars,

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns with Senate Bill 554.

This bill would leave the decision on whether to allow Conceal Handgun Licenses (CHL) holders in public buildings by those who know their communities best, not politicians in Salem. Furthermore, Oregon has not raised the CHL fee since the 1990s. It currently has the 24th lowest initial fee and the 30th lowest renewal fee in the nation.

The addition of firearm storage language to SB 554 (the concepts from HB 2510) aims to address firearm suicides and accidental shootings. Currently, Oregon has no requirement for gun owners to secure their firearms when not in use, leaving firearms available for children and individuals in crisis to obtain and harm themselves or others. It would require firearms to be securely stored when not in the control of the owner of the authorized user. Failure to follow these requirements is a violation, not a criminal penalty.

I voted for SB 554 because it promotes responsible gun ownership, reduces the number of suicides, and creates safer public spaces for our communities. I regret that we don't see eye to eye on this issue, but hope you can understand my perspective.

Thank you again for contacting me about this important issue. Please reach out to my office if you have any additional questions, or would like to bring any other issues to my attention.

Jeff Reardon
State Representative District 48
I at least respect the man for replying and giving you his stance. If you disagree, and I'm certain most people here do, handle it on the next ballot.

I at least respect the man for replying and giving you his stance. If you disagree, and I'm certain most people here do, handle it on the next ballot.
Unfortunately the damage is done. Very hard to stuff the genie back in the bottle. Or as my grandpa would have said "once it's bubblegumed, you're gonna have a hell of a time unbubbleguming it."

Are you in potland proper? This just jumped right out at me! Neighbors? In potland? :s0140: Highly likely to support everything that's going on in this state! Hell, you don't put a pro "Trump" sign in you yard in potland! Unless you want you property vandalized.
Well, that was a useful contribution to the thread. Tell you what, I'll worry about my neighbors (wherever they might be), and you worry about your neighbors.

I can tell you this, I have spoken to neighbors about the dangers of this bill and got a good response. My point is that everyone needs to gather some additional support--from wherever you can (family, neighbors, shooting buddies, etc) and put the political PRESSURE on these Senators right now, today. Emails and phone calls. Don't worry, you can still live out your non-compliance the way millions of Californians do, or flee the state, if that is your solution. No one is stopping you. But should try to stop this bill now---it has NOT passed yet, remember---rather than waiting for some Court to come and save us. These anti-2A laws are hard to remove once passed. They have to be stopped at the key points in the legislative process, or at least watered down enough that they are no more than an inconvenience (this allows self-serving politicians --but I repeat myself---to save face and agree to weakening the bill while still passing it). Like this.

Last Edited:
Already posted in another thread, but here again for completeness:

I wish all Senators were like Sen. Linthicum

"I will not be in attendance for today's Senate Floor Session.

Why not?

Because the power-hungry Senate Democrats are planning another heist of our lawful right to self-protection. Therefore, I will not participate by lending to the chamber's member count for attaining quorum. If eleven Senators would stay off the floor and deny quorum, then our Oregon constitution would forbid the majority party from continuing down their partisan warpath........"

This is the entire letter Sen. Linthicum wrote. He would make a fantastic Governor.

I will not be in attendance for today's Senate Floor Session.

Why not?

Because the power-hungry Senate Democrats are planning another heist of our lawful right to self-protection. Therefore, I will not participate by lending to the chamber's member count for attaining quorum. If eleven Senators would stay off the floor and deny quorum, then our Oregon constitution would forbid the majority party from continuing down their partisan warpath.

At issue is a gun-control, lockup, and persecute bill known as, SB 554-Engrossed B version.

With careful reading, SB 554 exposes the heart of the hard-Left. The bill starts with a series of "Whereas" clauses that imply, in the broadest terms available, that tragic criminal events and horrendous accidents are caused by the presence of guns not people. By sweeping several anecdotal accusations and real stories into broad generalizations, the language of the bill herds everyday citizens into circumstances that will make owning a firearm in Oregon very difficult and financially burdensome.

Only the naive will think this a good thing.

Statistics inform our intellectual and cognitive faculties that good people are saved by firearms daily. After all, those seeking to rob, rape or steal from unarmed victims will never leave their weapons behind.

Interestingly, the first "Whereas" clause, refers to a sad and serious shooting that occurred at the Clackamas Town Center, in 2012. That was a long time ago and the Democrat supermajority didn't finally stumble upon the solution. No, rather they are giddy with power and will destroy as many of our long-held constitutionally protected traditions and values as possible.

There is nothing in this bill that will stop a criminal from executing malevolent desires, whether in 2012 or 2021. A person with criminal intent can never serve as a proxy for how any other person might behave. There is no causal, or meaningful correlation that can offer predictive insight into the probabilities for a single criminal event.

Criminal activity cannot be tied to the availability of common-place tools. Kitchen knives are available everywhere. They are rarely, if ever, locked up and they are the weapon of choice for assaulting far more people in the US, than handguns. The rioters, antifa looters and "mostly peaceful" arsonists prefer more common melee weapons, like baseball bats, iron pipes, umbrellas, frozen water bottles, hand-held lasers, hairspray and Zippo-lighters. But the professional Left find these weapons non-threatening.

The focus with SB 554, is not just about guns, it is also about people, law-abiding people, people who live in rural areas and use their weapons regularly. That guns are useful tools, when used safely, matters not.

Concealed Handgun Licensed (CHL) holders have under-gone training and testing; their personal information and background check results are on file; their fingerprint records are also at the County Sheriff's office; and these are the people the Democrats see as threats to the community?

There is an obvious agenda. The Democrats are not interested in stopping the purposeful billion-dollar destruction in downtown Portland due to lawlessness, arson and violence. Neither are they concerned about the destructive Covid lockdowns and the hundreds of million-dollar losses in our local municipalities, counties, and communities. As SB 554 illustrates, they have different goals in mind.

What is the goal?

Statism is the modern Utopian agenda. Both parties can fall prey to this Utopian ideal, because it is attractive. It relies on experts, not peons, and concentrates control, authority, and power into the hands of the powerful. For the Democrat super-majority, the real goal is not gun-control but control, absolute control. SB 554 is just another step up the ladder.

Democrats in both chambers have been watching Gov. Brown with a keen eye to see how dictatorial power is effectively used. They've learned their lessons well.

The first step is to keep the citizens at bay; don't let them participate; don't let them speak, keep them locked down. Then, step up the rhetorical war and feed a distorted picture of what is right, good and true. After a time, reach for the top of the ladder; reach for total power and total domination. Like we see with Gov. Brown's weekly COVID fearmongering, when backed by fallacious authority, such as, Oregon Health Authority (OHA) and Oregon OSHA, the domination strategy is total. Author Leonard Peikoff, refers to this as a movement toward the, "almost metaphysical."

Peikoff was analyzing the application of unlimited unreason imposed on prisoners during World War II and he notes that while prison camps were expected to wreck prisoners, that wasn't the goal. The goal was to make omnipotent rulers.

Peikoff outlines these details in his book Ominous Parallels. He notes, metaphysical power is the inner-soul of statism which requires a god-like allegiance. Absolute obedience is needed to satisfy the wider demands of statism. No entity, or law, or constitutional protection, or church, or business, or school of any kind can be allowed to stand in the way of any of the ruler's whims. For the state, even the most contradictory, benign, or casual dictates must be followed to the letter.

This can be seen in Oregon's COVID-19 protocol, a trademark example of modern tyranny.

It all started easy enough. Just a small demand for some fawning compliance with some ridiculous mandates, which happen to defy every conceivable fact of nature, virology and epidemiology. After all, never in history have healthy populations been quarantined. Even the phrase, "lockdown", comes from the prison industrial complex where prisoners are "locked down" until prison population compliance is achieved. But remember, the goal is not the publicly proclaimed goal – health, it is the more insidious goal – metaphysical control.

The statist seeks to quell independence and foster dependence. This is accomplished through education, media campaigns, billboards, and news sources, while censoring any opposing voices. There is no reason to question the absurdities of changing rules like, No-Mask, Must-Mask, Double-Mask, and No-Mask if vaccinated. There is no consistency because confusion offers control to the powerful.

Peikoff explains, once the state can coerce submission to utter senselessness, they have defeated sense. When they can require obeisance to absurdity, they have successfully refuted logic. As they garner acceptance for their lies, they successfully overthrow truth. And finally, when the people surrender their values, the state gets to either smash all value or inculcate an entirely new set of values.

Now, if you happen to think that I have driven myself off a metaphysical cliff, let's look back at a key sentence in SB 554. It asserts that a, "violation constitutes per se negligence, and the presumption of negligence may not be over-come by a showing that the owner or possessor acted reasonably." This phraseology in not just an obscure reference but occurs in four separate sections of this bill. In other words, this bill, by law, would turn reasonableness into negligence and destroy reason.

In closing, we must continue to fight against the current gross and overbearing regulatory mandates flowing from the legislative body and the Governor's office. We must stand against the absurdities that are demanded daily. We must stand for the self-evident truth that we witness, the common-sense we utilize, and our own just pursuits and economic enterprises regardless of the crushing weight of the statist bureaucrats. To pursue justice without regard for the individual is statism and statism requires, "a certain kind of universe: a universe of non-fact, non-thing, non-identity," which is a self-annihilating lust for power known as, Utopianism.

I wish all Senators were like Sen. Linthicum

"I will not be in attendance for today's Senate Floor Session.

Why not?

Because the power-hungry Senate Democrats are planning another heist of our lawful right to self-protection. Therefore, I will not participate by lending to the chamber's member count for attaining quorum. If eleven Senators would stay off the floor and deny quorum, then our Oregon constitution would forbid the majority party from continuing down their partisan warpath........"
Here's the link:

Senate concurred in House amendments and repassed bill. Ayes, 17; Nays, 7--Anderson, Findley, Girod, Hansell, Johnson, Kennemer, Knopp; Absent, 3--Linthicum, Robinson, Thatcher; Excused, 3--Boquist, Heard, Thomsen.
Vote:
  • Anderson Nay
  • Beyer Aye
  • Boquist Excused
  • Burdick Aye
  • Dembrow Aye
  • Findley Nay
  • Frederick Aye
  • Gelser Aye
  • Girod Nay
  • Golden Aye
  • Gorsek Aye
  • Hansell Nay
  • Heard Excused
  • Jama Aye
  • Johnson Nay
  • Kennemer Nay
  • Knopp Nay
  • Lieber Aye
  • Linthicum Absent
  • Manning Jr Aye
  • Patterson Aye
  • Prozanski Aye
  • Riley Aye
  • Robinson Absent
  • Steiner Hayward Aye
  • Taylor Aye
  • Thatcher Absent
  • Thomsen Excused
  • Wagner Aye
  • President Courtney Aye

Liz Meerah, a spokesperson for Brown, said the governor would "review" the bill, but said the Democrat "has continually spoken out about the need to pass sensible gun legislation."

Brown has accepted large donations from gun safety proponents: $250,000 from former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and $750,000 from his advocacy group Everytown for Gun Safety.

"Today, I am signing SB 554 with the hope that we can take another step forward to help spare more Oregon families from the grief of losing a loved one to gun violence," Brown said on Twitter.
In a related development, an interfaith movement plans to present signatures Wednesday to the staff of Oregon Secretary of State Shemia Fagan, a step in an attempt to get two initiative petitions onto the ballot.

IP 18 would ban the sale of assault-style weapons in Oregon. IP 17 would ban the sale of large-capacity magazines and require a permit to purchase any gun and a completed background check before a firearm is purchased.

The movement has gathered the signatures of 2,000 voters for each initiative petition and will hand deliver them to Fagan's staff, said Pastor Mark Knutson of the Augustana Lutheran Church in Portland.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top