JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good grief.... I will have a rap sheet longer than a lot of criminals, because I will not comply.
Guess now we will see just what the 2A sanctuary status in Douglas County is going to do for us :mad:
Deschutes too. Sherriff Shane Nelson has stated he will not enforce these Draconian laws. However, ironically, we have a pathetic DA named John Hummel who would LOVE to put every single gun owner in prison while handing out free Cadillacs to illegal aliens. Also, our new chief of Bend PD -- Krantz -- worthless. Was hired out of, you guessed it, PORTLAND where he was an assistant chief. His first day on the job here in Bend was last August when the woke terrorists surrounded the ICE agents trying to lawfully execute their sworn duty by apprehending two removable aliens. When the lessee (the Marriott) of the private property on which this chaos occurred called 911 to report hundreds of trespassers, Bend PD under our new chief on his first day told them to go pound sand and get with the woke agenda. I respect the hard-working men and women of law enforcement, but this one is trash.

There is a specific exemption for parking lots.
I see that in the Summary at the top of page one "Provides that ordinance, rule or policy may not affect possession of firearms in parking area or parking garage.", but there is no mention of the exemption anywhere else in the bill.

EDIT: the italics are what was removed from the prior version, and the bold is what was added. There is no exception for parking lots, garages or most likely the public streets between buildings of a large campus such as Portland State or OHSU.

The Third Reading in the Senate is scheduled for 06/11/2021.

Last Edited:
42350409.jpg

This assumes the legislators, esp the RINOs, actually care about what you and I — the rank and file — have to say.
No, it doesn't assume that at all. Read my post again.

No one should believe what a politician says—it only matters what they DO. If they vote against my rights, it doesn't matter how much or how little they agonized over it. These RINOs—for all practical purposes—might as well be Dems.

They do, however, respond to political pressure. If they got hundreds of calls per day and a thousand emails, they would vote differently. That has NOTHING to do with how much they "care" about us or about rights. They care about re-election—that is all.

Unless you, your family, your neighbors, and your friends pile on that political pressure, they ain't feeling it. They are not going to protect our rights otherwise.

As for recalls being "too little, too late," that is defeatist talk. If we had recalled the ones who voted to outlaw private gun sales, we wouldn't be facing this today. There must be political consequences for selling us out.

No one should believe what a politician says—it only matters what they DO. If they vote against my rights, it doesn't matter how much or how little they agonized over it. These RINOs—for all practical purposes—might as well be Dems.

They do, however, respond to political pressure. If they got hundreds of calls per day and a thousand emails, they would vote differently. That has NOTHING to do with how much they "care" about us or about rights. They care about re-election—that is all.

Unless you, your family, your neighbors, and your friends pile on that political pressure, they ain't feeling it. They are not going to protect our rights otherwise.

As for recalls being "too little, too late," that is defeatist talk. If we had recalled the ones who voted to outlaw private gun sales, we wouldn't be facing this today. There must be political consequences for selling us out.
Recalling a sitting politician TODAY has no effect on what they did (or did not) do yesterday. Sure you can fire them, but you're still stuck with the lousy legislation they vomited into the statutes. Hence, THE COURT is our only remedy, TODAY, ex post facto.

Not just one bill.

You can consider this one the straw that broke the camel's back if you wish. Not only is this the single most anti-citizen, anti-Constitution and comprehensive gun control legislation in modern Oregon history, t goes a long way toward illustrating your legislature's attitude toward you, presumably a law-abiding gun owner. Please don't naively think this is the end of it. Add to it Sanctuary state, police ordered to stand down while arsonists run wild in the streets of our premiere city causing millions in damage and even a few homicides, homeless defecation tolerated and left for business owners to clean up, prosecutors refusing to prosecute same, false narratives regurgitated by the wokerazzi, and now here again today half our state shutting down to fight a virus with a ~98% survival rate and NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE THAT HEALTHY PEOPLE EATING IN A RESTAURANT CONTRIBUTES TO THE SPREAD OF THE VIRUS. Oh and let's not forget energy policies based on junk science proffered by people with the nerve to tell us "follow the science..."

But back to the gun bill: whether you think it effects you personally or not should be irrelevant. Gun control (or as they disingenuously now call it "gun safety" and have the nerve to add the modifier "common sense") is always incremental. They are smart enough to know they cannot hit you with it all at once: Like the frog in the pot of boiling water, it will jump out if it can... but you put that frog in the cold water and slowly turn up the heat? We are the frog. Today it's "common sense gun safety" to which you do not object. What does tomorrow bring? You might just find out it does effect you personally... and by then it's too late because you refused to object to that which you falsely believed did not effect you. EVERY gun law effects EVERY gun owner.

Now do I need to remind you of Niëmoller's prosaic and prophetic tome?

First they came for high-capacity magazines. But I didn't object because I didn't own any high-capacity magazines...

This is what kills me...Someone saying "It's not so bad because it doesn't affect ME", a lot of these laws don't affect me. I carry very little, And NOT around potland for sure. Unless I were to walk to the store after dark, I might slide a pocket pistol in the jacket. Besides, these damned stoopid laws these morons pass won't do one thing to stop shootings.

Are you in potland proper? This just jumped right out at me! Neighbors? In potland? :s0140: Highly likely to support everything that's going on in this state! Hell, you don't put a pro "Trump" sign in you yard in potland! Unless you want you property vandalized.

Response from Reardon,

Hello Lars,

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns with Senate Bill 554.

This bill would leave the decision on whether to allow Conceal Handgun Licenses (CHL) holders in public buildings by those who know their communities best, not politicians in Salem. Furthermore, Oregon has not raised the CHL fee since the 1990s. It currently has the 24th lowest initial fee and the 30th lowest renewal fee in the nation.

The addition of firearm storage language to SB 554 (the concepts from HB 2510) aims to address firearm suicides and accidental shootings. Currently, Oregon has no requirement for gun owners to secure their firearms when not in use, leaving firearms available for children and individuals in crisis to obtain and harm themselves or others. It would require firearms to be securely stored when not in the control of the owner of the authorized user. Failure to follow these requirements is a violation, not a criminal penalty.

I voted for SB 554 because it promotes responsible gun ownership, reduces the number of suicides, and creates safer public spaces for our communities. I regret that we don't see eye to eye on this issue, but hope you can understand my perspective.

Thank you again for contacting me about this important issue. Please reach out to my office if you have any additional questions, or would like to bring any other issues to my attention.

Jeff Reardon
State Representative District 48

Response from Reardon,

Hello Lars,

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns with Senate Bill 554.

This bill would leave the decision on whether to allow Conceal Handgun Licenses (CHL) holders in public buildings by those who know their communities best, not politicians in Salem. Furthermore, Oregon has not raised the CHL fee since the 1990s. It currently has the 24th lowest initial fee and the 30th lowest renewal fee in the nation.

The addition of firearm storage language to SB 554 (the concepts from HB 2510) aims to address firearm suicides and accidental shootings. Currently, Oregon has no requirement for gun owners to secure their firearms when not in use, leaving firearms available for children and individuals in crisis to obtain and harm themselves or others. It would require firearms to be securely stored when not in the control of the owner of the authorized user. Failure to follow these requirements is a violation, not a criminal penalty.

I voted for SB 554 because it promotes responsible gun ownership, reduces the number of suicides, and creates safer public spaces for our communities. I regret that we don't see eye to eye on this issue, but hope you can understand my perspective.

Thank you again for contacting me about this important issue. Please reach out to my office if you have any additional questions, or would like to bring any other issues to my attention.

Jeff Reardon
State Representative District 48

In other words "We know what's best for the people. You'll have to trust us on this one. Now go back where you belong. We have things under control"

There is no question that these bills, in every state and at the federal level, are designed to harass gun owners and burden private gun ownership. Instead of fretting over the irrational and unconstitutional nature of the bills, do something. Donate to pro 2A litigation groups, write your representatives. Tell undecided voters that gun control is a proven failure in all the jurisdictions who have the strictest laws. NYC, Chicago, Oakland, Los Angeles. And if those cities blame other jurisdictions' lax laws for imported guns, why don't those other jurisdictions have the higher gun crime rate?

Venting on these message boards does not accomplish anything.
Do you have a favorite org? The NRA can't be trusted with money.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top