JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1) M10 vs. Python (even a new one) isn't quite a fair comparison. I imagine S&W would come out looking better if it was Python vs. Performance Center .357 of any # of variants.

2) "i never met a smith and wesson i did not like. glad the colt is not stacking like the old ones."
I generally agree, but when I was a gunsmith at a S&W warranty work shop I saw a few that I couldn't understand how they ever got of the door.

3) S&Ws are much easier to smooth and tune than the old Colts. (I have never worked on, or even seen the lockwork of the new guns.) Thusly, a mediocre S&W can be considerably improved at a modest price. There are a lot fewer 'smiths who really know how to work on a Colt. I admit to finding them nothing I ever felt well qualified to work on while S&Ws were a piece of cake.
Couldnt get me to buy another new smith bought a PC 686 a few years back also a model 19 classic. Both had issues. The 686 trigger broke while shooting 38s (return spring). The 19 shoot super high and to the left. I sold them both. Im sure they make good ones and i got really unlucky but I prefer the older smiths. You are correct in that it was a unfair comparison and i mention that. A better comparison would have been my model 14 but i cant get my dad to give it back lol. Both guns are truly awesome cant beat a old smith. I do believe this may be the best Python ever made.

"Couldnt get me to buy another new smith bought a PC 686 a few years back also a model 19 classic. Both had issues. The 686 trigger broke while shooting 38s (return spring). The 19 shoot super high and to the left. I sold them both. Im sure they make good ones and i got really unlucky but I prefer the older smiths."
I completely agree. My object of S&W lust would be an old 8 3/8" M57 - saw one @ Cabela's and had to leave before I bought it. I recently had the chance to examine and shoot new Performance Center N-Frame .357. It was a beautifully made piece, but I still prefer the old ones.

Never shot a Python, but am still in search of a 686+.:s0090:

I really like the 686 we added a little while back on recommendation of friends here:

1566851299578-png.611951

Nicely made, stainless, 7-shots, very accurate; what more can a fellow ask for? (Wife shot it a little with .38 Specials on Monday after doing buzz-gun shooting and liked this revolver too. :s0155:)

The + or the 7th round really turned me off that gun, at least, it did many years ago, i just don't know why i think a revolver needs to be 6 rounds. I mean, one of mine holds 5 rounds....

I can see it happening, all of my revolvers are going to be 6 inches and stainless, not much variety but boy do they look good :)

The + or the 7th round really turned me off that gun, at least, it did many years ago, i just don't know why i think a revolver needs to be 6 rounds. I mean, one of mine holds 5 rounds....

I can see it happening, all of my revolvers are going to be 6 inches and stainless, not much variety but boy do they look good :)
The revolver I have been carrying holds 5, but I loved the 7 shooter I had. The 5 rounder is very light for it's power and the 7 rounder packs that + in the same space as a 6. It's a + for me that you like the 6" versions, cuz that makes it easier for me to find a 4"! There's just something about a 4" barreled revolver with a full lug that appeals to me. It started long ago with a blued Python a friend had. Shoulda bought that when the price was reasonable. But like most nice things I've had, I'da probably sold it in the quest for the next thing...

1) Most of us will never shoot any particular gun enough to wear it out, but competition shooters may. The S&W lockwork is more robust and will go through a higher round count before requiring attention to stuff like timing, end shake, etc., and when such is req'd it's much easier on S&W than Colt. I know that for most people the choice is made more on the feel than round count, but it's nice to have a gun that will last (both do this) and is easy to fix when the time comes.

2) Question to anybody who knows: Does the new Python lock up with -0- play when you pull the trigger like the old ones?

So i broke down and bought a 2020 colt Python and thought i would do a little comparison with my Favorite revolver a S&W model 10. The Colt set me back $1500 while the model 10 i bought years ago for $250 (used). Out by of the box the 6 inch Python is absolutely stunning. The stainless finish is the finest i think i have ever seen. It really is a impressive looking gun. The model 10 has a heavy 4 inch barrel and is a working mans gun I love the looks of this classic. The single action on both is excellent with a slight edge to the Python (not as good as the old pythons) . What surprised me the most was how much improved the DA trigger is compared to the old Pythons. My old Python DA was heavy and stacked. The new python has a almost perfect DA. The Python also has the edge in DA although the smith is dam good. Shooting steel at 15 yards 50 rounds each proved easy work for both guns. At 30 yards the Python was the clear winner. The smith was at a disadvantage with a shorter barrel and fixed sights. Both of these guns are truly awesome. Their is definitely a difference in overall quality (finish and action) with the colt being the winner but it slso comes at a huge price. Do i think the new Python is worth $1500? To me it is. Was concerned about QC after reading of a few guns having issues but it sounds like they have fixed the initial issues. View attachment 809889View attachment 809890View attachment 809891View attachment 809889

Not sure this is an apples to apples comparison? I love S&WW revolvers, but comparing an older Model 10 to a SS Python seems like a mismatch to start with. I'd compare a 686 to a SS Python if I wanted a fair match up. Still unssure which would win, but at least they'd start out as equals.

1) Most of us will never shoot any particular gun enough to wear it out, but competition shooters may. The S&W lockwork is more robust and will go through a higher round count before requiring attention to stuff like timing, end shake, etc., and when such is req'd it's much easier on S&W than Colt. I know that for most people the choice is made more on the feel than round count, but it's nice to have a gun that will last (both do this) and is easy to fix when the time comes.

2) Question to anybody who knows: Does the new Python lock up with -0- play when you pull the trigger like the old ones?

Couldn't agree more! I have thousands of rounds through some of my S&W and they're still tight as they were new. A few years ago I inherited a S&W .38/44 Target Model from the original owner's son. His father was a competitive shooter, and shot on the Navy/Marine team at Camp Perry. He bought the .38/44 HD new with the intent of shooting it a lot! So when he bought it new, he also bought an extra barrel and cylinder, thinking he'd shoot it so much he might wear them out. Unfortunately he died unexpectedly, so the gun is like new, and the extra cylinder and barrel of course were never needed.
UQgkg6Il.jpg
IlwH4njl.jpg

I bought a 686-1 new back in 1987 for $320.00. Replaced the grip with a Pachmeyr rubber grip but kept the original wooden one. I wouldn't mind a Colt Python since I remember Hutch carried one in Starsky and Hutch TV show but the cost is quite high compared to a 686.

SW686-1.jpg

Last Edited:
Since Colt was the first, which used clockwise rotation, that puts them as the correct way versus counter clockwise (Smith, who chose that rotation to avoid patent infringement on Colt)
Finally a reasoned objection to my post. ;)

Other arguments could be, "Colt turns the Right way"
CW, as in "righty tighty" vs S&W CCW "lefty loosie"

Mind you Colt didn't invent the revolver, he did however greatly refine the concept.

640px-Drehling_GNM_W1984_ca_1580.jpg
By Hmaag - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=26531421

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top