JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i broke down and bought a 2020 colt Python and thought i would do a little comparison with my Favorite revolver a S&W model 10. The Colt set me back $1500 while the model 10 i bought years ago for $250 (used). Out by of the box the 6 inch Python is absolutely stunning. The stainless finish is the finest i think i have ever seen. It really is a impressive looking gun. The model 10 has a heavy 4 inch barrel and is a working mans gun I love the looks of this classic. The single action on both is excellent with a slight edge to the Python (not as good as the old pythons) . What surprised me the most was how much improved the DA trigger is compared to the old Pythons. My old Python DA was heavy and stacked. The new python has a almost perfect DA. The Python also has the edge in DA although the smith is dam good. Shooting steel at 15 yards 50 rounds each proved easy work for both guns. At 30 yards the Python was the clear winner. The smith was at a disadvantage with a shorter barrel and fixed sights. Both of these guns are truly awesome. Their is definitely a difference in overall quality (finish and action) with the colt being the winner but it slso comes at a huge price. Do i think the new Python is worth $1500? To me it is. Was concerned about QC after reading of a few guns having issues but it sounds like they have fixed the initial issues. 165F40D7-A043-428C-A3FE-6791DEF30CC0.jpeg 3561AFD9-31A8-40B0-81C2-9D3045FEC9B2.jpeg 8F34F84B-32C4-4F59-A3F6-DCF53C9918DC.jpeg 165F40D7-A043-428C-A3FE-6791DEF30CC0.jpeg

So i broke down and bought a 2020 colt Python and thought i would do a little comparison with my Favorite revolver a S&W model 10. The Colt set me back $1500 while the model 10 i bought years ago for $250 (used). Out by of the box the 6 inch Python is absolutely stunning. The stainless finish is the finest i think i have ever seen. It really is a impressive looking gun. The model 10 has a heavy 4 inch barrel and is a working mans gun I love the looks of this classic. The single action on both is excellent with a slight edge to the Python (not as good as the old pythons) . What surprised me the most was how much improved the DA trigger is compared to the old Pythons. My old Python DA was heavy and stacked. The new python has a almost perfect DA. The Python also has the edge in DA although the smith is dam good. Shooting steel at 15 yards 50 rounds each proved easy work for both guns. At 30 yards the Python was the clear winner. The smith was at a disadvantage with a shorter barrel and fixed sights. Both of these guns are truly awesome. Their is definitely a difference in overall quality (finish and action) with the colt being the winner but it slso comes at a huge price. Do i think the new Python is worth $1500? To me it is. Was concerned about QC after reading of a few guns having issues but it sounds like they have fixed the initial issues. View attachment 809889View attachment 809890View attachment 809891View attachment 809889
i never met a smith and wesson i did not like. glad the colt is not stacking like the old ones.

So... I took a new Python and my old S&W 64 out to the range for testing.
Due to the scarcity of ammo I'm only loading one round into the gun's at a time.
So... first up was the S&W, slowly pull the trigger and as expected it discharges and a hole appears in the target exactly where expected.
Next I aim at the target with the Python, slowly pull the trigger and, CLICK. Had to pull the trigger FOUR more times before it finally fired, was fairly tired of it going CLICK by that time and wasn't aiming too well and missed the target.
So...after repeating this exercise a few more times I have determined the S&W is much more predictable and easier to hit the target with. :s0062:

So... I took a new Python and my old S&W 64 out to the range for testing.
Due to the scarcity of ammo I'm only loading one round into the gun's at a time.
So... first up was the S&W, slowly pull the trigger and as expected it discharges and a hole appears in the target exactly where expected.
Next I aim at the target with the Python, slowly pull the trigger and, CLICK. Had to pull the trigger FOUR more times before it finally fired, was fairly tired of it going CLICK by that time and wasn't aiming too well and missed the target.
So...after repeating this exercise a few more times I have determined the S&W is much more predictable and easier to hit the target with. :s0062:
sounds like you dont know how to pull a trigger. Not here to trash talk if thats your game move on

New python is on want list but SWs shoot so well it's a hard decision.
I can handle $1500 for a SAA but have a block about that much money for another stainless DA gun, especially with MIM parts.

Thanks for posting, OP.
I'm 95% getting one, but a few things need to happen first;

1) Money left over from bonus
2) Them be back down to MSRP or lower...
3) Decide between 4 and 6 inch

Number 3 is a silly one - i love the 6 inch, and whilst i don't think the 4 inch looks bad at all, i think the 6 looks better - however my only reason for considering the 4, is because i have no 4 inch revolvers.... yeah i said it was silly.

Thanks for posting, OP.
I'm 95% getting one, but a few things need to happen first;

1) Money left over from bonus
2) Them be back down to MSRP or lower...
3) Decide between 4 and 6 inch

Number 3 is a silly one - i love the 6 inch, and whilst i don't think the 4 inch looks bad at all, i think the 6 looks better - however my only reason for considering the 4, is because i have no 4 inch revolvers.... yeah i said it was silly.
Bought mine at sportsman's for msrp. Paid $1500 with tax. He said they been getting a few in every month or so

Bought mine at sportsman's for msrp. Paid $1500 with tax. He said they been getting a few in every month or so
Ah, my bad, for some reason i had it in my mind that MSRP was somewhere between a grand and 15, not actually 1500 :oops::rolleyes:

Oh well, we'll see, it's all money, and sometimes i just need (want?) to buy other things each year when the money comes up, i can't keep putting off a bigger safe each year :D

Ah, my bad, for some reason i had it in my mind that MSRP was somewhere between a grand and 15, not actually 1500 :oops::rolleyes:

Oh well, we'll see, it's all money, and sometimes i just need (want?) to buy other things each year when the money comes up, i can't keep putting off a bigger safe each year :D
I think msrp is around $1400 plus tax $100 or so

I am a big fan of the k frame and the 38 special. They are kind of boring in that they seem to always work. I would use the model 10.and put the python in the safe. To me the Python would be for show and tell. Just my opinion.

1) M10 vs. Python (even a new one) isn't quite a fair comparison. I imagine S&W would come out looking better if it was Python vs. Performance Center .357 of any # of variants.

2) "i never met a smith and wesson i did not like. glad the colt is not stacking like the old ones."
I generally agree, but when I was a gunsmith at a S&W warranty work shop I saw a few that I couldn't understand how they ever got of the door.

3) S&Ws are much easier to smooth and tune than the old Colts. (I have never worked on, or even seen the lockwork of the new guns.) Thusly, a mediocre S&W can be considerably improved at a modest price. There are a lot fewer 'smiths who really know how to work on a Colt. I admit to finding them nothing I ever felt well qualified to work on while S&Ws were a piece of cake.

The pythons are beautiful revolvers but speaking for myself i would rather have a nice model 27. To me these are both iconic revolvers.

Good report OP.
A few years ago I did similar comparison between 4" Python & 4" 686. Same distances, more rounds over several weeks.
This was early 80s nickle Colt vs 30 year newer Smith. Physically near twins, even used same speed loaders on both, surprise surprise.
I found I preferred my old Python as a BBQ gun & the stainless 686 as range gun. Accuracy very comparable especially pleasing given cost difference. A well tuned 686 trigger is very satisfying. Python was smoother & remains my standard of comparison.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top