JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the heads up that the new regs were out.

Pretty radical changes to the general centerfire elk seasons. All general elk hunts east of the Cascades are now controlled tags, with the single exception of 2nd RM elk (spike). It's hard to imagine that anyone will spend their points choosing those previously-general hunts as first choices in the draw, but it's sure to shake things up with the way people select second and third choices, I imagine. The introduction of a general season for cow elk on private land could have the same effect.

I'm curious what people think of the new general cow elk tags on private land. There does not appear to be any limit in the number sold and the seasons are long. I'm not certain how many similar cow tags had been available through other means before. Unlimited general tags for cows (in select areas) seems a bit odd to me.

If you watch that video In the first post
I think the guy says 4000 cow tags.
Spike blacktail now legal.
Hunters should note that hunts that were formally called "centerfire" seasons or commonly referred to as "rifle" seasons, are now "Any Legal Weapon Seasons." This change was made to make it more clear to hunters that they are not limited to only using a rifle for these hunts; it is legal for hunters to use any legal shotgun, bow, muzzleloader, or handgun.
New for 2020, hunters with access to private land in areas of chronic elk damage can choose the new General Season Antlerless Elk Damage tag as their elk hunt. This new hunt is meant to address chronic elk damage and address increasing private land elk populations.
Several elk seasons east of the Cascades will shift from general season to controlled hunts in 2020 to improve bull ratios and hunt quality.

I checked out the big game and fishing regs posted online. I noticed something interesting I didn't catch in the hunting regs, but saw in the fishing regs:

ODFW Reg Change 2020.png

Since they got rid of the license printers in the stores, and are pushing the electronic BS or making you do paper print outs - now they have a new way to screw with you. Last year I had three copies made of my license, because when the state ditched the system that had worked well forever, and went to the new BS I refused to get the electronic tag - because if your phone dies when you're out in the woods, you can't show your license, and you get a ticket. Now it seems like having multiple copies handy will result in a ticket.

I'm curious what people think of the new general cow elk tags on private land. There does not appear to be any limit in the number sold and the seasons are long. I'm not certain how many similar cow tags had been available through other means before. Unlimited general tags for cows (in select areas) seems a bit odd to me.

Sorry, I didn't read...

Are you referring to the cow elk damage hunts? If so, I don't see a problem with it. In fact, ranchers/farmers desperately need it here where the herds live in the winter. I'll remind folks of the Wallowa rancher that tried to get ODFW to do something about the herd of elk raiding his hay storage that he needed to feed his cattle, then got frustrated/crazy and laid out a bunch of cows. I don't remember what his penalty wound of being, but it's unfortunate and points out the need for relief that may be somewhat provided by those hunts.

If there is a cow hunt that is not damage control, it's gotta be the Benjamins.... big money over here leasing out land for hunting season!!!

Are you referring to the cow elk damage hunts? If so, I don't see a problem with it.

As I understand it, ODFW has taken what used to be cow elk damage hunts and instead made them into a general over-the-counter tag. The video referenced in the initial post above does say they will limit these tags to 4000, though I do not see that figure repeated in the regs themselves. To your point, I don't have a problem with cow elk damage hunts for the reasons you describe. Only that there's a difference between more prescribed hunts and unlimited general tags.

The do say this is a pilot program. Perhaps they're going to give it a year or two to see how the new system works; i.e., whether they get harvest in the places and quantities that match objectives, or if they get much more harvesting than intended. We'll have to see.

Take a look at page 44 of the new regs for the details (page 46 of the PDF).

Yeah the video said 4000.
But now when I think about it, months back there was a proposal and it was unlimited cow tags for land owners.
Yes unlimited!
I posted a link on here from RMEF to protest it, not sure how many signed it .
So I'm Not sure which one they went with, might have to call Odfw.
I'm totally down for damage control tags if they are necessary. But it be nice if hunters could get some access. Either land owners get $ from Odfw or we pay to play. I'd pay 500 to get access on on private for a cow tag for duration of the tag If it could be additional tag for me.

Regarding the copies: you can still print out the summary of your purchases and carry that with you.
I used the cell phone option this season, and really liked it. I kept my phone on airplane mode to maximize the battery life.
You can also keep your phone OFF and save the batteries. Only turn it on only if you need to make a call, tag your animal and show your license to the game warden.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top