JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Community Outreach Outlook for 2016

We made some headway last year. We did more clean ups and fine tuned our Target Shooter Information program. A fine group of volunteers! Thank you!!! Let's do it again! Only better!

I have a strong feeling that this year will be worse than ever. The simple fact that landfill dumping fees are costly, which will promote more dumping in the forests. Greater numbers of gun sales means more people want to shoot those new guns and most likely not want to wait in line for membership at the gun range. I think we will see a lot more people and trash in the woods this year.

Our target audience: illegal dumping and unaware target shooters...
  • 1) Those who knowingly and deliberately dump their trash on public land.
  • 2) Target shooters, who are unaware of the rules for shooting on public land, and those who just don't give a darn while they shoot up existing trash as targets and leave their own targets behind in the woods.
Our challenge: To reach them with our message and change their behavior. How do we do that?

We have a couple of options...
  • 1) Make a big difference with many of us getting involved and spreading the word all over.
  • 2) Brush it off as just another same 'ol year where we do a little here and there but there's not much of a noticeable change.
Consider option 1. Make a BIG difference (like a blitz campaign). What if all the gun stores and outdoor stores had printed information about the rules of shooting on public lands? That would take several of us knocking on doors and keeping stores stocked with fliers. What if we had posters and memes, with key messages, and placed them in those stores and on social media? We'd need some help in the creative department and printing. What if we had our Target Shooter Information Booth set up in 3-4 different locations in various forests at the same time? We'd need some more equipment, printed material, dedicated people and good scheduling to keep it going.

If we could pull off this kind of a blitz, I think we would see an overall greater respect for our great outdoors, a change in attitudes, hopefully less trash and a little more respect from the general public (not to mention the increased recognition and traffic to NWFA).

To find solutions to our challenge, we need to talk. Share ideas, thoughts, research and plans. We are people of sound minds and strong desires to preserve our public land for the enjoyment of our recreational shooting and hunting activities, as well as, for our future generations. If we don't step in and do something now, we make it real easy for others to continue their efforts in shutting us down.

Care to help with some of this?

Thanks,

Bill Cogley
Volunteer Coordinator

Last Edited:
Wifey and I will look forward to taking part in clean-ups in the Tillamook again this year if you do them out that way!

What if we had posters and memes, with key messages, and placed them in those stores and on social media? We'd need some help in the creative department and printing.
late last summer I created a flyer with the idea that anyone on NWFA could find it and download it and print out at home a couple copies to hand out when out shooting on public lands in the Tillamook State forest. I shared that here, you guys are still welcome to use it.

• 2) Target shooters, who don't know about public rules, and those who just don't give a darn while they shoot up existing trash as targets and leave their own targets behind in the woods.
I think there is a large audience of new (target) shooters that simply don't know about public rules but would otherwise follow them, that's what I had in mind when I created the flyer to hand out. At the entrance to Salmonberry off hwy 26 the forest dept has a huge sign, maybe they would let us place a real estate flyer box we could fill with flyers for people to take... big red letters saying "TAKE ONE" would encourage new shooters to stop and take where as otherwise the sign doesn't encourage anyone to stop and read and most just drive by.

salmonberry sign.jpg

salmonberry sign.jpg

Thanks for the input, Koda. We'll be taking another look at that flier idea you presented and perhaps it can work in.

You're right about the new audience of shooters and I agree, most of them will adhere once they are aware.

That Salmon Berry sign is missing a key element (the part that stops shooters from filling it full of holes), the American Flag! Put a flag sticker or sign on it and it stands a better chance of lasting longer!

I don't believe that "New Shooters" don't know better than to take, and/or, leave trash at shooting sites. Do you really think that they leave trash on their own floors? Do you think they throw appliances, plastic bottles and general crap all over their own yards? Pigs will be pigs, at forest shooting sites! Peer pressure would be the only thing. The problem is, who will be the ones to call them on it? I haven't shot in the forest for some time, but I don't think I would be willing to confront pigs/dumpers carrying firearms about their filthy habits.

I don't believe that "New Shooters" don't know better than to take, and/or, leave trash at shooting sites.
were talking about new shooters who don't know all the rules. How many new shooters actually know its illegal to shoot at an empty soda can? One problem is new shooters anxious to try out their new guns head out without much thought on proper targets or target stands and bring a bunch of stuff they are not prepared to haul out after its all shot up. Torn up metal cans and broken glass don't always work out so well in a plastic trash bags after the fact, opps... I don't want a bunch of leaky dirty sharp junk in the car and well look around the place is kinda trashed anyways so nobody will know "this time".

I would definitely support posted rules, at well known sites and outdoor stores. I didn't know when I moved here that many outdoor shooting places only allow paper or clay. I am guilty of having shot at a can or two when they were left behind by previous shooters, but I figured I deserved to enjoy the soda somehow if I was going to be the one throwing it away, right?

Seriously, though, regardless of the jack-nuts that may or may not ignore posted rules and flyers, I think they're a good idea, and i'd keep some flyers in my truck to give to some people I see out shooting, or shooters I know.
-Mike

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top