JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is THE MOST IMPORTANT program we, as responsible gun owners, can do. It is the most effective way we can make a difference for our current and future rights to shoot on pubic land.

This Target Shooter Information Program was designed to have a positive effect on how people treat public land, our natural resources and our freedom to use the land for recreational shooting. It reaches people with direct communication, one-on-one, while they are there to recreate. It opens eyes to the reality of the the problems. It prompts consideration of ethics and conduct. It encourages responsibility and fosters team spirit. It speaks a positive message to shooters, non-shooters and non-gun owners that we are supporting, not only our kind of recreation but, a healthier recreation for all (including the forest).

The info booth is not a pushy sales person at a mall kiosk booth. It's not a door to door solicitor trying to make a sale. We don't go around putting fliers on windshields in parking lots. Our booth people are not sales people. We welcome anyone, who is interested in what we're doing, to stop and visit the booth. We offer support, encouragement, free stuff and help direct to good/safe/legal places to shoot. No prior booth experience necessary. Just listen, answer and help.

Our message, from the booth, may only reach 30 to 40 people on a Saturday, but it spreads to many more. People talk. Vendors support. Word spreads. And it becomes known that Northwest Firearms members are leading this effort. Those who hear, appreciate.

It's half way through June. We've missed a lot of opportunities. If we care about our kind of recreation, weather you do in on public land or not, it's time to join in and help be a part of a real good thing.

Thanks All!

Cogs

This is a cool thing you are doing with the information booth. I have a question though, did they close the national forest to shooting or is it in just the places stated by the us forest service. I'm seeing a couple spots near my area that are closed, but the BLM land/gravel pit I shoot at isn't one of those spots. My wife says she heard on the radio that they shut the forest down to shooting. What say you guys in the know. Thanks guys and thanks for keeping the forests cleaner!!!!!!!!! My biggest pet peeve is seeing garbage in the rock quarries/gravel pits where I shoot.

@bsa1917hunter The forest is still open (in most all areas) to shooting. There are a few areas closed but they ultimately add up to minuscule parcels of the greater forest area. I don't know where it is that you tend to shoot, so we can't give you the answer. There are currently maps that point out quarries that are open to shooting, though they aren't always the best areas to shoot. Lot 36 is a prime example of a place that's not ideal for shooting. We saw today plenty of evidence of people shooting towards the road just a few yards away (hwy 224). It was also quite clear that it would be very easy for people walk blindly into what someone might be consider to be a shooting lane. The purpose of the info booth is to shed light into proper target shooting rules (ie. No glass bottles, proper backstops, etc). There will be, at some point, information about areas more appropriate for shooting.

What I know is that if we fail to be stewards of our sport, we will lose it.

The nothing. Thanks for your response. I totally agree with your last statement. I shoot at a couple rock quarries about 20-25 miles south of the dalles. I've been visited by state police and chatted with them and they say there is no problem shooting there, "just be safe". This was even during deer season (I believe it was the high cascade buck hunt). I asked if it was alright to be shooting there during deer season, even though I didn't have a deer tag for the unit at that time. He said it was perfectly acceptable, as he's seen me there before and knows I enjoy shooting there.

I also don't leave any garbage behind. My target stand gets set up and it goes back home when done. I also belong to a gun club in Washington, where we shoot most Saturdays with an RSO on board. However, it's fun just being able to get out in the woods and shoot with your buddies sometimes. Thanks for the help.

IMG_0133_zps8e87ec69.jpg 0407131705a_zps8a6c6501.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads