JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Welcome to the Target Shooter Information Program. A place where volunteers can exchange schedules, planning, discussions and reports for our Target Shooter Information Program in Mt Hood National Forest.

Hats off to each of you for participating in this unique, one of a kind program. Your contribution to this today, is a key element in making a difference for tomorrow. We learn a little more each time we work the booth and we hope you will share your observations to help make improvements.

The primary mission of this thread is to have a 'pool' of volunteers who are interested in working the booth and to schedule days where at least two people operate the program at each setup. The secondary objective is to discuss progress, effectiveness and improvements. In addition, we appreciate efforts, suggestions and contributions from those who cannot participate in booth operations but would like to contribute in some way.

This is an ongoing program, with booths setup as often as we have volunteers to staff them, throughout the Spring, Summer and Fall. Typically, we set up the booth on Saturdays from 9 am to 3 pm. Sundays or weekdays are also okay. We would like to setup at least once per month. More often would be desirable, as it would reach more people.

This program, to our knowledge, is the first of its kind and we know of no other community of gun owners who are actively addressing the issues of respectful outdoor recreational shooting on public land as we are here. This is a unique opportunity to help encourage appropriate behavior and produce a positive difference for the good of our forest. It sends a positive message to the general public of the integrity of Northwest Firearms members as responsible gun owners. It also has the potential to improve the sport of Recreational Target Shooting and supports our right to shoot on public land.

Our Mt Hood booth program operates via the Estacada USFS office.
Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/nHRBqvHvaRk GPS: 45°17'40.46"N 122°20'36.05"W
Our primary contact is NWFA member rangerlars. The booth is typically set up in the forest near that area.

Target shooting rules for Mt Hood National Forest:
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/target-shooting-in-mt-hood-national-forest.188932/

Special thanks of appreciation go out to our original 2014 NWFA Start Up Team members; rangerlars, ZigZagZeke, Ed Guinn, Liberty97045, ZA_Survivalist, Qjay, PDX, Peteralexander78, PotshotJim, Joe13 and doomsday. We thank you all for your help.

Cogs
Volunteer Coordinator

Last Edited:
This booth is all set and ready to go. All we need are people to help set it up and do it. Last year experienced very positive results and good times for all involved.

Actually, there is one thing we still need... funds to print the Northwest Firearms Outdoor Recreational Sport Shooting brochure. We'll be ordering about 5000 brochures and divide those up between the 3 Info Booths. (Hope that's enough to last the summer!) Let Joe Link know if you can help with that part.

Thank you,

Cogs

Last years Booth
Booth 5-16-15 2.jpg

Current Booth
Booth Aug 2015.jpg

Last Edited:
Thanks John. I'll be posting info about how we're proceeding soon. Really appreciate your interest in this. Looking forward to meeting you!

Bill

If you guys need design for fliers, maybe a banner that pops a bit more from a distance, etc let me know.

I've talked to @Joe Link about donating my time for this stuff before. I can't take care of the printing for you, but I am a graphic designer by trade (lots of work for Nike etc.) and I am happy to give my time if you need help.

Who's up for the booth in May? The 7th, 14th, 21st or 28th?

I'll be at the WA cleanup on the 7th and Tillamook cleanup on the 21st. The 14th I'll be out of town. Leaves me only the 28th open.

Still, that shouldn't stop the booth from getting done. Lars will help with the date so he can be there as well.

Post your preferred date and let's make it happen!

Cogs

Who's up for the booth in May? The 7th, 14th, 21st or 28th?

I'll be at the WA cleanup on the 7th and Tillamook cleanup on the 21st. The 14th I'll be out of town. Leaves me only the 28th open.

Still, that shouldn't stop the booth from getting done. Lars will help with the date so he can be there as well.

Post your preferred date and let's make it happen!

Cogs
My wife and I can do the 21st. Let us know what and where.

Yes we would meet at the Estacada Ranger Station and go from there. Let me check on May 21st. I think that could work, but it would help to have Cogs there to share in the orientation. May 28th might be tough with Memorial Day weekend

I am sorry, but regrettably we will not be able to start the info booth yet. We have had a lot of staff and other upheaval lately. I don't mind the morning of May 28th but wasn't sure about people's availability on Memorial Day weekend. I am then looking at Saturday June 18th - is that May 28th a good date for Cogs and folks?

Hello Folks,

Apologies for the short notice, but I wanted to get this going.

The info booth is an opportunity to share positive information about target shooting opportunities on Forest land while informing and educating shooters about guidelines and regulations for safe and responsible target shooting.

In addition to education, we provide proper targets and trash bags to people who need them.

We have found this program to be successful in helping to reduce shooter impacts to other folks and the Forest while reducing the litter and resource damage that has given shooters a poor reputation in the community. It is also an opportunity to share a positive image to the general public and represent shooting sports in a good light.

For anyone interested in volunteering or simply just learning more about the Target Shooting Information program, we will be meeting this saturday at 9am at the Estacada Ranger Station.

While it would be great to have as many people as possible together at once for introduction and orientation, if you can't make it, no worries--you can always join in later on as we go.

Participants will technically become USFS Volunteers, and as such will be entitled to Work-Comp insurance while participating. We have incentive awards for participants as well - we can decide together how to implement the details of that.

We will meet at the station for about 45 minutes to go over some things, and then head out to the Forest (20-35 minute drive) to set up our booth, where we will greet the public and share the good word. We will pick a location near a popular shooting spot - probably 36 Pit but open to other suggestions.

We can stay as long as people like, but will have to break it down by 1:00.

Anyone interested in shooting may do so immediately following at the nearby berm, or really at any time. Please bring any food, drink, or personal items that you might need. Participants can drive their own vehicles to the site from the Ranger Station, or catch a ride as needed.

Thank you for your willingness to represent for professional target shooting!

Ranger Lars

Contact me by posting here, by "private conversation"

595 NW Industrial Way Estacada OR 97023

Google Maps (https://goo.gl/maps/ZbPDXmVhUGK2)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top