JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was an the Willamette today and saw two guys in one boat with four rods and another guy alone running two. Hmmph, if a person fishing TWO rods catches nothing does he not catch, twice as much?

I'll be waiting to see some guide boat with twelve rods out!

before you spew your allowed two poles if you got the license for it.

Time to renew as last yr' expired yesterday.

Two rods, one half drunk redneck in a boat he has no clue how to run? what could be more fun to watch then that? In the middle of the Garbage hole? friggin awesome! Mouth of the Klama, absolute mayhem with a tug and barge commin down on ya!!! I have seen guys use throw down rods for years, but have never had the need or desire to go that way, besides, I would likely get tangled in my second rod while fighting a fish! When there are two or more of us in the boat, all with a rod in the water, when ever some one hooks into a fish, every one else reels in as fast as they can! If I had two rods in , imagine trying to fight a fish one handed, while reeling in all my gear with my free hand,while also pulling that rod out of its holder and stowing it out of the way! I just don't see it working out so well. I don't think you can use two rods on the Columbia and didn't know it was even "legal" for Salmon/Steelhead! I thought i was only lake fishing and only for Trout and such!

It can be done proficiently by many, not everyone is a drunken redneck.

Thinks that's bad, I can only imagine what I'll be looking at if I get the Kali job.... they probably have a tag for bullheads and bluegills, no live worms since that is cruelty to animals.

Brutus Out

I think that's just the Bay area?

Back in my hog line days, a second rod was called a meat line and the old guy I fished next to was a master at using one.
Both rods were identical and when the hidden meat line rod hooked a fish, he would jerk the line by hand to set the hook and then calmly reel in the rod that was up in the rod holder.
He would set the rod down and bring up the meat line and then declare that he hooked a fish while bouncing it back out.

I will admit to spending $21.50 for the extra fishing pole license this year, just so I can run two rods while trolling the Willamette for Springers.
My daughter was up from Texas last weekend and she accompanied me for an afternoon fishing trip.
She didn't have to buy a day tag and the best part was that rod next to her did manage to snag a 15 Springer.

I will admit to spending $21.50 for the extra fishing pole license this year, just so I can run two rods while trolling the Willamette for Springers.
My daughter was up from Texas last weekend and she accompanied me for an afternoon fishing trip.
She didn't have to buy a day tag and the best part was that rod next to her did manage to snag a 15 Springer.

May wanna be careful of using two rods while springer fishing:

This is taken from ODFW's regs:

Two-Rod Validation: Allows a licensed angler to use two rods or lines while angling in standing water bodies such as lakes, ponds and reservoirs, including Snake River impoundments above Hells Canyon Dam. Exceptions:
  • Columbia River and its impoundments.
  • Seasonal or permanent backwaters and sloughs of rivers, streams and creeks.
  • Bays, estuaries and ocean waters.
  • Coastal lakes during wild coho seasons — see zone regulations

Wouldn't want to see you get busted for it.

They recently included the Willamette River just for salmon fishing.
It's totally legal.

Just discovered that buried elsewhere - they really should update the general and zone specific reg PDF's when they make such changes. Seriously - it would take them 3 minutes to insert the stuff into the PDF, save it, and re-upload the corrected file to the servers.

From April 1 – July 31, 2016, the following rules apply:

(a) In all areas of the Willamette River and tributaries, including flowing waters, that are open to angling for hatchery Chinook, hatchery steelhead, trout, or warmwater gamefish, anglers with a valid 2016 Two-Rod Angling Validation may use up to two fishing rods while fishing for any game fish or non-game fish species except sturgeon. Youth anglers under 12 years of age may use two rods in these areas without purchasing the Two-Rod Angling Validation.

(b) Angling for sturgeon remains restricted to the use of one rod per angler.

(c) All other rules and licensing requirements specified in the 2016 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations remain in effect.

CLARIFICATIONS:

If an angler is fishing for sturgeon, they are restricted to a single rod. A second rod may not be deployed by that angler while fishing for sturgeon, even if that rod is deployed for purposes of catching a different species.
As clearly stated in rules, ALL other rules remain in effect – the allowance of a second rod does NOT increase the allowable daily bag limit per angler.

Foster Reservoir

Kind of surprised to see ODFW take this tack - but it's a welcome change. Oregon is slooooooooooowly dragging its angling regulations inline with other states where more common sense rules. The fact that they're nailing people for $21 a pop to fish a second rod is still retarded. Bag limits remain the same regardless of # of lines in the water - so a person fishing 2, or 10 rods is only allowed to take the same as a guy fishing only one.

Most every boat I've seen fishing on the Willamette has two rods out per fisherman.
That $21.50 adds a big chunk of change into their coffers.
Still no sizable fish numbers running upstream yet. Hopes are dimming for a good run this year.
I think the foreign off shore boats found the bulk of the run and they're in a frozen hold heading away to be sold back to us.

Most every boat I've seen fishing on the Willamette has two rods out per fisherman.
That $21.50 adds a big chunk of change into their coffers.
Still no sizable fish numbers running upstream yet. Hopes are dimming for a good run this year.
I think the foreign off shore boats found the bulk of the run and they're in a frozen hold heading away to be sold back to us.

That would be no surprise - usually by this time of year decent numbers of fish are being had. I was re-considering my decision that last year was to be the last year I bought salmon/steelhead tags, but I didn't get out at all early this winter due to other crap that came up. The winter steel season is pretty much done for, summer steel won't begin in earnest for another couple months and I'm not holding out hope that ODFW won't use their newly flexed muscles and shut down stream fisheries again this summer. I'm not paying the cash for the SST tags to only take a stab at the winter steelhead fishery.

The groups like the Native Fish Society have done zero favors for sportsmen with their quest to shut down hatchery programs. Until water quality, escapement, and land use practices adjacent to streams are all addressed and fixed - you won't see wild stocks rebound on their own. The tribes and the foreign fishing fleets will simply finish off what's left of the so-called wild (since Hatchery production in the NW dates back 150 years, its almost impossible that there are any pure wild fish stocks left) runs.

The state needs to grow a sack and fight back against the anti-hatchery groups. The house of cards ODFW has built is going to collapse eventually - with fewer opportunities to catch a fish, fewer people will be fishing. They can only jack the rates up on those left so much before those folks say enough and stop, or simply stop buying a license. Plenty of folk on iFish and the other local forums have expressed their intent to simply quit giving the state money and will risk the fines. Sad that it's coming to that.

Hatchery fish are cheap to produce, there's no reason other than following a certain flawed agenda NOT to put more hatchery fish into the system. Then the commercials, the tribes, and the sports anglers will all have their share.

While I would love to see all the wild runs restored to the point of sustainable harvest for them - it's not happening. Not without essentially destroying the economy of the northwest - because it would take removing all the dams, removing most of the streamside development, further curtailing where logging operations can happen, changing farming practices, ending irrigation on a lot of streams and essentially taking us 100 years or more back in time. And all those hipsters in Portland, I am sure, would love to see the floods scour away swaths their precious city like they did before the dams went up.

It would be far more economically feasible to maintain hatchery programs. And all the "hatchery fish are inferior" crowds concerns could be solved with some inter-breeding with other strains of fish, instead of breeding brothers & sisters or cousins together over and over - they should be swapping eggs between hatcheries to keep the genes fresh.

But we're off in the weeds now, so I'll shut up. o_O

That would be no surprise - usually by this time of year decent numbers of fish are being had. I was re-considering my decision that last year was to be the last year I bought salmon/steelhead tags, but I didn't get out at all early this winter due to other crap that came up. The winter steel season is pretty much done for, summer steel won't begin in earnest for another couple months and I'm not holding out hope that ODFW won't use their newly flexed muscles and shut down stream fisheries again this summer. I'm not paying the cash for the SST tags to only take a stab at the winter steelhead fishery.

The groups like the Native Fish Society have done zero favors for sportsmen with their quest to shut down hatchery programs. Until water quality, escapement, and land use practices adjacent to streams are all addressed and fixed - you won't see wild stocks rebound on their own. The tribes and the foreign fishing fleets will simply finish off what's left of the so-called wild (since Hatchery production in the NW dates back 150 years, its almost impossible that there are any pure wild fish stocks left) runs.

The state needs to grow a sack and fight back against the anti-hatchery groups. The house of cards ODFW has built is going to collapse eventually - with fewer opportunities to catch a fish, fewer people will be fishing. They can only jack the rates up on those left so much before those folks say enough and stop, or simply stop buying a license. Plenty of folk on iFish and the other local forums have expressed their intent to simply quit giving the state money and will risk the fines. Sad that it's coming to that.

Hatchery fish are cheap to produce, there's no reason other than following a certain flawed agenda NOT to put more hatchery fish into the system. Then the commercials, the tribes, and the sports anglers will all have their share.

While I would love to see all the wild runs restored to the point of sustainable harvest for them - it's not happening. Not without essentially destroying the economy of the northwest - because it would take removing all the dams, removing most of the streamside development, further curtailing where logging operations can happen, changing farming practices, ending irrigation on a lot of streams and essentially taking us 100 years or more back in time. And all those hipsters in Portland, I am sure, would love to see the floods scour away swaths their precious city like they did before the dams went up.

It would be far more economically feasible to maintain hatchery programs. And all the "hatchery fish are inferior" crowds concerns could be solved with some inter-breeding with other strains of fish, instead of breeding brothers & sisters or cousins together over and over - they should be swapping eggs between hatcheries to keep the genes fresh.

But we're off in the weeds now, so I'll shut up. o_O

Boy, you said a mouthe full and I agree 100%!!!!:cool:

Last week, there was over 25 guide boats in the Willamette River all competing in a fishing derby.
A special prize for the biggest springer salmon caught and also for the smallest springer salmon.
One guy won both prizes with a 7 lb fish. The only fish caught all day in a guide boat.
That right there tells you how bad the season is so far.

Last week, there was over 25 guide boats in the Willamette River all competing in a fishing derby.
A special prize for the biggest springer salmon caught and also for the smallest springer salmon.
One guy won both prizes with a 7 lb fish. The only fish caught all day in a guide boat.
That right there tells you how bad the season is so far.

Geez 7lbs is almost still a smolt for a springer :eek: Pretty terrible indeed.

Geez 7lbs is almost still a smolt for a springer :eek: Pretty terrible indeed.

There was a pic on ifish of a guy that went with a guide, thinking Buzz Ramsey posted it. I'm not sure it looked 7#s to me. I'd eat if I caught it but I do know I'd not be putting up a pic of a fish I caught that small with a proud grin on my face! Unless it was a perch, bass, etc. LOL

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top