JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well...hunting season, for me is over. I saw a bull's butt......but I think that he had wings and flew away!

One 5x6 bull in camp, so all was good!

Hope you all had a good season.

I have to go now and pour another bourbon.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Jerry

Didn't go elk hunting this year. First time not going since 1983.
Hunted deer for the first time in WA. Missed a buck the first day hunting. Didnt shoot at the doe's with him (any deer unit) chose not to shoot at them again later in the day when I saw them again. Buddy killed a spike.
Hunted solo the last 4 days during the late season. Covered a lot of ground, learned a new hunting area about 30 minutes away from home, never saw another deer while hunting, and enjoyed every minute of it.

Hope others enjoyed their season, successful or not.

Happy Thanksgiving.

I'll bet I have seen around 500 deer in the last couple weeks around here.
There is still the whitetail hunt going on,which I don't have a tag for,I got the regular tag.
And they have been heavy in rut.The bucks with their noses in the air,lips curled and does running everywhere
I saw 2 huge racked bucks 2 days before the season and about 10 after,lol
Heck I chased a non typical down the hiway the other day
5 grouse,1 duck and 2 bunnies this year. And with it being -5 outside,I will wait a couple days before I go back looking to fill my cow tag
But it is encouraging seeing those bucks after the army of hunters we had up this way

I came home with a small spike this year, got him on the last day of the elk hunt about an hour before sunset. Man what a monsoon it was, coast 1st season we got pounded with rain non stop it took over a week to properly dry out all my camping gear.

here is a picture of one that got away....
MFDC0052.jpg

I only got to go out deer hunting for one Saturday evening hunt this year above Timothy Lake.... got squat, LOL!

Got my bird stamps... haven't been out yet. Why does life have "so many things to get done"? :rolleyes:

I get my bird stamp each year and take my shotgun out when scouting for deer. Took the safety off on one this year but he flew a second before. Then later during deer season I had another stand in the road for 10 minutes... but I had my deer rifle. One of these years I will get one but whenever I'm not hunting them they sit out in the open indefinitely and let me take pictures....
grouse.jpg

I only got to go out deer hunting for one Saturday evening hunt this year above Timothy Lake.... got squat, LOL!

Got my bird stamps... haven't been out yet. Why does life have "so many things to get done"? :rolleyes:

I gave up the labor of love huntin for fur bearing critters for the feathered flying birds.
There is something about getting all the deeks set out and waiting for legal shooting hours....:cool::cool::cool:

This was my first season attempting to hunt and i got some really good advice from the folks on here and it was much appreciated. Now when i'm asked if i consider myself a hunter, i say that i'm an accomplished hiker. :D Got real good at hiking around with a heavy pack and rifle...felt like i was in the army. I was averaging 5-6 miles each day.
Saw some elk (out of season and i didn't have a tag) and a bunch of deer but no bucks.
Visited 3 separate areas during my trials. Started at the highest elevation and ended at the lowest as the weather changed. I also missed the last week of deer hunting season due to work travel which annoyed me because the last spot i was visiting was very promising.
Overall i had a lot of fun and looking forward to next year. My goal for this season was to spot an animal and i accomplished that. Next year i'm going to really work 1 of the locations i visited as it had a lot of deer activity, just a shame that i stumbled across it so late in the season.

I gave up the labor of love huntin for fur bearing critters for the feathered flying birds.
There is something about getting all the deeks set out and waiting for legal shooting hours....:cool::cool::cool:
Ya know,my dad didn't teach me much about deer hunting cause it was a job for him. Extra free meat on the table.
But he loved duck hunting and kinda infected me with it.I love bird hunting.And I ain't worth a shyte with a shotgun,lol
Only problem I have is getting up before oh dark thirty to go set in a cold a$$ blind for something I'm not that fond of for eating.(ducks) I like geese and road chickens and such but ducks are fun to shoot and every once in a while you get 1 that is worth eating. But the dog likes them

Ducks are web-footed flying liver... Bleck!!

Domestic duck is great, wild duck.... nope.

Still fun as heck to hunt them though, and my hunting buddy LOVES wild duck so he gets my kills at the end of the day.

You got it backwards for me, wild duck is great and there's something off about the taste of domestic duck. That could be because I'd eaten wild duck for almost 20 years before I ever tasted domestic duck.

Ray

Friday I got out of the house early since it was a blistring 20* out. I went to one area where I had seen elk laying in some trees.Bad sign though when the snow on the road(little dirt road) was packed,but I walk down it anyway.
Nothing
So I go up a road that comes out above an alfalfa field by the hiway that quite a herd of elk feed in.Figured there may be some sitting up there
PERFECT,there they were,I didn't even get to the landing and saw 30 with 1 nice bull,that I didn't have a tag for:(.I was above them and the road was wide enough to walk the hill side undetected.And they were kinda fixated on where they last saw my truck
I get right above them and figure this was my only hope,maybe 200 yards? My $300 "little" rangefinder was in the truck.But this was a down hill (40*?) shot with 404 grains and 90 grains of #7 powder,I figured the energy was there.
The gun shot just where I aimed,right over her back.Must have grazed her cause she buckled a little then ran off with the others
OK they are on the south side of this ridge that ends at the hiway.They drop down thru some trees and by the time I have reloaded they are on the north side about 1/4 mile away.
I get the truck,drive down the hill and walk back up to find sign.
Nothing
25+- elk and no trail thru the snow,no blood anywhere. No elk to be seen anywhere. I walked to where they were laying to be sure I had seen elk! Yes,fresh scat
There was a small gulch next to the ridge to the south.Private property and no one anywhere. My guess is they disappeared in there.
I got my shot at least.With no blood sign anywhere,I'm guessing I just nicked her back as she ran over a 1/4 mile without bleeding

BTW,when I did laser it,it was 129yds,hence the bullet going over the top

Well i filled my cow elk tag today.Some guys I saw on the road said there was some elk running off just a bit before i saw the guys.
So i drove up a little used road in the same drainage I saw the others. I came across them and they decided to run....just under me at about 100 yards.Haha,they were safe at 200 yards.
And the Powerbelt 404 grain slug with 90 grains of powder dropped her. She kicked when i came down the hill so 1 more finished her
Boy oh boy there was some work getting her DOWN the hill to the truck:eek:
First elk,first muzzle loader kill.
All is good in the hunting world for me.
Pics? Yeah the phone was dead when I started and I forgot it each time I went up the hill.
200yards up hill at 45* and 6k ft is a long hall for an old fat guy.3 trips sucks eggs bad

Hey, for you guys that don't like wild duck. Befriend an Asian family! They love duck! The folks who ran our little grocery took every duck I ever brought them, with many thanks! Good deal all around because, I'm of the rather eat a cow pie, faction!

Enjoyed your hunting reports! SRG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads