JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Everyone,
I caught the fishing bug last year and haven't been fishing since I was a kid.
I want to do some steelhead bank fishing on the columbia just south of bonneville dam.

I was hoping to go out in about a week and see what I can catch.

Is it a good time to fish the columbia for steelhead?
I'm not looking to take anyone's secrets or magic honey hole. I just don't have a lot of time to get out, but can't wait to start spending some reel time on bank.

Look to plunking for springers....Personally I don't think there's all that many steelhead going up the Columbia at this time of year, and the ones that are are going to be mostly native. This is why they wait to put the gill netters in for springers, because native steelhead are counted against them. They take those natives WAY serious!

I would suggest you look for plunking spots like Frenchman's Bar. There's places up around the Port of Kalama too. Not being from you side of the river I don't really know of others, but I bet there are a few more. Come late March and into April is when the summer steelhead will be coming in slightly more catchable numbers.

Up around Bonneville isn't a steelhead fishery until the numbers come up in summer. It WILL be a busy springer fishery when they get coming in good. But if it were me I'd stay down here to bank fish for springers, it's a lot more technical AND crowded, and the water will really be moving come 1st of April with the Spring spill starting up there.

Mike

Thanks Jim,
I do work Monday through Friday, but I can take time off whenever.
I am a little limited because I take my daughter to and from daycare.

I've never used a baitcaster before so I want to practice before springers arrive.
I want to explore the banks and find a more secluded place I won't be pissing everyone off casting all over their lines.
Plus I just hate fishing shoulder to shoulder. And most people in general :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top