JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I figured I'd start a thread for this seasons treck for Winter Steelhead.
When, where, techniques and braggin right pics.
I usually start right after Thanksgiving on the Chehalis river just 10 minutes from the homestead and take a few weeks at various SWWA streams I cut teeth learning to be a steelheader.
Well good luck out there and be safe!!!;)

I'm in Oregon, we don't have steelhead runs until it's time to start springer fishing. WE don't want none of them inferior hatchery fish messin' up that wild fish recovery ya' know.

MY steelhead season starts around mid July, in the Columbia!

Good luck though!

Those inferior hatchery fish (lol) are sure fun to catch though and you get the bonus native evey now and then also. ( even if it's a catch and release fish ) I live 5 blocks from the Washougal river. Nice!!

Stacy

You've got a butt load of streams up there don't you. After a good storm just pick your stream/water color and fish? I always preferred fishing higher off color water. It brings the fish close to the bank, fish are going to be more active as freshet water is going to be warmer. Fish aren't so spooky.

First steelhead I ever hooked on my own was on the Nehalem River at Spruce Run Park. The water was high and off color and I hooked my fish in 3' of water right next to the bank. I was using a BIG pastel orange Corky that matched up with something like a 3/0 hook. I don't know how I ever managed to get that fish in as he took off down stream and at least half way across the river! That fish was just over 15# and mint bright. We used to start down there the first or second week of December.

"Good Old Days"

Yes there are quite a few around here (hence my choise to settle in this area).
I too like the higher off colored water, years ago at one plunking spot the river had to be running at least 13500 CFS to have enough water on that side of the river. There were a lot of times in winter we could not fish it but were able to fish other places on different streams....

The nehalem hatchery reported they saw one person carry a chrome out yesterday. 503-368-5670 is the hatcherys number.

I gave up bank fishing because of places like the NF Nehalem and the Pipeline Hole on the Sandy. So many more inconsiderate fisherman, and less places to fish left me cold. Oh, so many less fish to fish for also.

I don't need a solitary experience, but I do need people that are courteous and relatively friendly.

I have given up on Steelhead as all the rivers I grew up fishing on the Steelhead have gone the way of the dodo bird. Heck the count for Steelhead on the once renowned Salmon River (Mt.Hood) for 2014 from the region biologists is 6. The Salmon count wasn't much better at 500 or so. What a shame when it used to be a top Steelhead river in the state.

Well, it was only a hatchery summer steehead run wasn't it? Good thing they took 'em outta' there huh? Those winters have made a hellava comeback haven't they.

My sweet spot was the upper Clackamas for summer fish. I always preferred the bigger water. More of a challenge maybe? More water to find them in for sure!

Who knows what the Clack wild winter run is these days, I've never checked since they pulled the summers. Took out the trout, cut plants of chinook, coho and steelhead. All that beautiful water above Northfork Res. They pretty much turned the whole GD thing into a petting zoo! Wish the price of gear and licenses would go down proportionately to availability of opportunity.

Hey Caveman Jim you Using a fly rig or a spinning reel set-up? I'm looking to cut me teeth in the Steelhead game as well. I'm down in the Eugene area though.

I came up the coast yesterday from Brookings. I did not have time to do any fishing due to a family funeral, and there was not much pressure on the Chetco or Rouge. However, the locals had said the Pistol was pretty hot, and the 40 cars in the parking lot by the bridge on 101, and the 6 boats on the bank getting ready to launch at 9:30 am said it was the hot ticket.

If the color of the water can make anybody excited, that was the best water I have seen this year. I am back down there again next month, but will have no time for fishing. I agree on the bank access on most of the rivers, a drift boat is key to success. I see a drift boat in my future.

="Quacky88, post: 1187429, member: 36502"]Hey Caveman Jim you Using a fly rig or a spinning reel set-up? I'm looking to cut me teeth in the Steelhead game as well. I'm down in the Eugene area though.[/QUOTE]

Quacky, I took up trout fishing with a fly rod later in life & my shoulder couldn't handle it. I am a diehard drift & gear tossing steelhead addict and I use a bait caster for eggs and spoons, the spinning rod for spinners.
I have had more luck the last few years with Salmon.... lost my steelhead buddy 2 years ago.

Well has anyone been doing any good yet. I'm going to go in the
Next week or two on the Washougal, since I have a bunch of fresh eggs from salmon fishing!

Stacy

I plan to go to the Cowlitz & Lewis starting the 15th as there are still a few Coho in there. I like to fish below Toledo so if I'm fishing solo I can use two rods.

Anyone who wants to join me is welcomed. Have a 16' sled that needs ballast.....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top