JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Trainsktg, so glad you and your daughter could make it out. I'm sorry we didn't set her up on the bench earlier. The comment at the instructor dinner went something to the effect of 'he's so naturally talented that he was able to do it in spite of the tacticool gear'. I know this wasn't your first AS but to make Rifleman, center fire on the first AQT is impressive. Well done sir.

Thanks for the kind words, but I am certainly not naturally talented. My last Appleseed was 5 years ago and at that time I was still shooting righty because I hadn't yet realized how bad my right eyesight was. (I think I scored in the 180s using an old H&R Leatherneck.) I switched over to shooting lefty sometime after that Appleseed and applied not only those teachings to my new way of shooting, but also studied the various Army and Marine marksman training guides available, although they are nearly identical. And although I don't shoot as much as I would like, I always make it a point when I do to never shoot off a bench :) , so that probably helped...no Ibuprofin needed here.

Yeah, I had some tacticool gear, but I did shoot that old Finn Mosin M39 for most of Saturday. That was a workout :s0114: .

My daughter really appreciated the use of the table on the second day. Despite the painful knee, she enjoyed herself enough on Saturday to want to return on Sunday even if she couldn't shoot. I think her knee, plus Saturday being her first day ever shooting as a leftie, left her a bit discouraged. Being able to just enjoy herself Sunday really lifted her spirits. Hopefully next year she'll be following your daughter's steps.

Anyways, I want to extend again my deepest appreciation of the excellent training and accommodations given to the students by the Appleseed instructors and Douglas Ridge staff.

Keith

Just a note to those who think it is "cheating" to use a scope instead of iron sights, especially when we have older eyes that don't focus on the front sight so well. Using a scope only gives the advantage of being able to see the target better. If you need a scope in order to shoot better, then use it. It's great to be able to qualify with both, but if you don't use correct technique (position and 6 steps to firing the shot) it won't matter what kind of sight you use. Using a scope is no guarantee of a high score. If it was, anybody with a scope could do it! Work with what your body and eyesight allow as far as shooting position and sight system. A rifleman score is a rifleman score and you earn that score whether you use iron sights, red dot sight or scope to achieve it. If the skill isn't there the sights don't matter. I was very impressed this weekend by the persistence and determination of all the shooters; not just the ones who scored rifleman but the ones who worked so hard to improve. A learning attitude and willingness to persist to improve marks the true Rifleman.

:s0155:

Thanks Kenjo. I'm certainly not bagging on anyone who uses a scope because of their eyesight or physical disability. For me though, as a person who's eyesight is good enough to use iron sights, I wouldn't feel like I had really earned Rifleman unless I do it with iron sights first.

But that's just me ;)

Keith, is that the Mosin you got from me? The skitrooper model?

No, this Mosin was one that I got in the mid 90s, my first actually. Its an accurate enough rifle, but the action of a Mosin is difficult enough to cycle as it is, and I doubt any lefty anywhere could successfully complete an AQT with one. A leftie Finn M28/76 Mosin might work tho...I'll have to look into that.

Although I'd still be handicapped with the necessity of reaching over the receiver to cycle the bolt, with alot of practice I might be able to squeek out a successful AQT with an '03 Springfield or .303 Enfield; both actions are much, much smoother.

Keith

Despite the painful knee, she enjoyed herself enough on Saturday to want to return on Sunday even if she couldn't shoot.

I'm signed up for my first Appleseed in April (the Coupeville event). Would it be a good idea to bring my dirt bike knee and elbow pads?

I read somewhere that it's a good idea to bring a carpet remnant mat so I'm going to find a carpet shop and pick one up. But I'm wondering if knee and elbow pads would be worthwhile...or just more stuff to overthink and get rid of mid-day....

I was a first-timer and novice shooter this past weekend who came home tired, and was sore the next day. However, the focus on shooting for the entire weekend blocked all other stress out of my mind. It was an amazing feeling to go back to work feeling so relaxed. Several other co-workers are now looking for events for family members. Thank you everyone and DRRC for a great event! Though I was also one point short, next time will be a different story.

BTW, the hand warmers in my shoes made a big difference the second day. 8^)

My family and I were also new to Appleseed. We had a great time but had it been 20 Degrees warmer, it would be perfect. Take a piece of scrap carpet, knee and elbow pads will help. Most important is a military sling that fits YOUR rifle. I was very stiff by the end of the day, and next time will take ibuprofen at the lunch break, not when I arrive home.

I do recommend pre loading on vitamin I (buprofine) in the morning and another dose at lunch isn't a bad idea.

Elbows get sore when you are on the 'point' of the elbow. We teach that you should be on the back of the elbow (almost on the triceps) but that is a point that is frequently missed when drinking from the Appleseed fire hose. Better to have them and choose not to use them than wish you had brought them.

Midway has shooting mats on sale for $30/$50 for the small/large size. They are nice and most instructors use them; however, moving blankets from HFT are the most cost effective new mat or a scrap of carpet works well too.

To be clear, my daughter's knee issue pre-dated the Appleseed event. Appleseed was not the cause. Forgeting her knee wrap on Saturday didn't help matters either.

I bought USGI elbow pads at the surplus store in Boring and when shooting also wear coveralls with extra thick fabric in the knees.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top