JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I normally use the Uncle Mikes QD 1 1/4" swivels about 1" from the edge of the forgrip. Directly under the barrel is best. Side mount studs don't work quite as well.

On the trail sometimes we improvise with just a zip tie around the barrel.

I normally use the Uncle Mikes QD 1 1/4" swivels about 1" from the edge of the forgrip. Directly under the barrel is best. Side mount studs don't work quite as well.

On the trail sometimes we improvise with just a zip tie around the barrel.

Thanks Kimber, have the swivels mounted ok, I was more wondering which way the sling itself attaches. Which end gets the metal clip, does the tail go inside or out, etc...

Here's a pic of a Garand loop sling:

Google Image Result for http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/Garand_Sling_Loop.gif

Edit: Different slings can be adapted to closely equal the configuration of the sling shown in the drawing. For instance, a Turner sling, an M1 Carbine web sling, and a Magpul MS-3 sling can all be used in this manner. Probably a standard AK sling too, I've just never tried it.

With the Garand sling, I run the forward loop's tail on the inside...its easier to adjust than if it were on the outside.

Keith

Last Edited:
Here's a pic of a Garand loop sling:

Google Image Result for http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/Garand_Sling_Loop.gif

Edit: Different slings can be adapted to closely equal the configuration of the sling shown in the drawing. For instance, a Turner sling, an M1 Carbine web sling, and a Magpul MS-3 sling can all be used in this manner. Probably a standard AK sling too, I've just never tried it.

With the Garand sling, I run the forward loop's tail on the inside...its easier to adjust than if it were on the outside.

Keith

Just to add, consider bringing a Krylon paint pen to the Appleseed. Then mark the sling at preferred length when prone vs standing, to speed adjustments during the AQT.

And for those loaning 10/22s to kids or newcomers, they will appreciate the auto-bolt release mod. :)

See you all on Sunday.

Kimber,
Any word on whether DRRC will allow overnight parking for this event? It would save 2 hrs drive and $50 in gas. I'd rather donate some money to DRRC than spend the time on the road. My alternative is probably the Troutdale Motel 6 or a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Thanks

I'm sorry, DRRC denied my request for overnight parking.

Silver Fox RV park
40505 Oregon 224
Estacada, OR 97023
(503) 630-7000
silverfoxrvpark.com

or
‎
Promontory Park Campground
40600 Oregon 224
Estacada, OR 97023 (503) 630-7229

look like the closest (open) options.

Oxbow Park is another option but quite a bit further than either of the other two.

I did scope out several spots right on 224 that are suitable to just pull over into but I personally wouldn't sleep very well 'exposed' like that.

My in-laws are in Gresham, closer than the Wal-Mart in Wood Village, and I'm sure they would let you camp in their driveway if you would like. Just PM me and I'll set it up.

Also, I was in Dick's yesterday at Delta Park and the clerk said they were expecting 6 (I assume cases) of .22lr Friday morning. He said the delivery arrives at 4a and the doors open at 9.

Yup, same here. Had a good times shooting, but it's damned disappointing when my eyesight has deteriorated to the point where I'm virtually guessing when I take my shots. I need to get my eyeglass rx filled, and then see if I can still use open sights. If I still have problems, then dammit I'm going to scope my 10/22.

Yup, same here. Had a good times shooting, but it's damned disappointing when my eyesight has deteriorated to the point where I'm virtually guessing when I take my shots. I need to get my eyeglass rx filled, and then see if I can still use open sights. If I still have problems, then dammit I'm going to scope my 10/22.

I was doing well until we did the known distance round. I adjusted my front sight and chased my elevation the rest of the afternoon. The guy next to me kept shooting my target too, which made it harder to know what I was really doing after the shooting was done. Not that it really mattered, I peaked at 194 just after lunch and fell off sharply after that. I think some of it was fatigue. I imagine I could have done much better if I had brought out my scoped .22 AR, but I feel like I should be able to qualify with iron sights first; seems more honorable that way.

Got home from DRRC a few hours ago. Had a good time, met some great people and learned a lot. Failed to qualify for the Rifleman patch though....

You both have reasons to go to another Appleseed :) And bring friends next time as well. I didn't get Rifleman my first time either, but getting used to the positions and knowing how to prepare a little before the second time (mostly by getting into position and stretching out a couple days ahead of time) really helped. This was my third Appleseed and I was able to get rifleman scores a couple times, beating my previous scores...which shows that not only was I able to maintain the skills that are taught, but I was able to improve as well. I'm sure the same applies to you too. During the last AQT I shot with tech sights and was only a point away from rifleman score, so next time I'm going to go with open sights the entire time.

Thanks for coming out guys! It was a pleasure spending the weekend with you. Saturday was very rough for me. I was not satisfied with many aspects of the day and yet we clearly laid the correct foundation because Sunday we forged so many Rifleman. Several shooters went from not on paper to 6-8MOA groups.

Ironbar, I admire your tenacity. Loved seeing your Garand on the line. I came by to offer you a loaner but then I saw you had already switched back to your .22. I wish I had offered it anyway since all of my loaners have scopes on them.

Modeler, you clearly have it in you. Good form (stay off that back foot). Everything I saw at the target line showed you have the skill set; just a matter of putting it all together. It is not unusual for it to take several events to make it. People tend to underestimate that magic 210 number is.

Trainsktg, so glad you and your daughter could make it out. I'm sorry we didn't set her up on the bench earlier. The comment at the instructor dinner went something to the effect of 'he's so naturally talented that he was able to do it in spite of the tacticool gear'. I know this wasn't your first AS but to make Rifleman, center fire on the first AQT is impressive. Well done sir.

Remember, the patch is only one step on the journey. Take the time to pass it on. Share with others what you learned; not only about marksmanship but our heritage as Riflemen. Use your soap box, mail box and ballot box.

We will be at Wolverton Mountain Gun Club in Aerial, Wa in two weeks. Then there are several events being planned for the April 20/21 weekend (Patriots weekend).

Thanks for coming out guys! It was a pleasure spending the weekend with you. Saturday was very rough for me. I was not satisfied with many aspects of the day and yet we clearly laid the correct foundation because Sunday we forged so many Rifleman. Several shooters went from not on paper to 6-8MOA groups.

Kimber, Congrats to you as well. Sunday must have been amazing, being able to welcome a new Rifle"man" to the family :s0155:

Yes, I'm sorry I couldn't do it without blubbering but damn I'm a proud papa. As soon as Mister Clark posts those pics I intend to brag on her properly :D

Just a note to those who think it is "cheating" to use a scope instead of iron sights, especially when we have older eyes that don't focus on the front sight so well. Using a scope only gives the advantage of being able to see the target better. If you need a scope in order to shoot better, then use it. It's great to be able to qualify with both, but if you don't use correct technique (position and 6 steps to firing the shot) it won't matter what kind of sight you use. Using a scope is no guarantee of a high score. If it was, anybody with a scope could do it! Work with what your body and eyesight allow as far as shooting position and sight system. A rifleman score is a rifleman score and you earn that score whether you use iron sights, red dot sight or scope to achieve it. If the skill isn't there the sights don't matter. I was very impressed this weekend by the persistence and determination of all the shooters; not just the ones who scored rifleman but the ones who worked so hard to improve. A learning attitude and willingness to persist to improve marks the true Rifleman.

:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top