JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone, relative newbie here, just submitted my CHL app this morning. Does anyone have experience with how long Marion County takes to process and issue the license (if approved)?

Sent from my mobile device - please excuse any spelling/grammar errors

exactly 45 days from finger prints to card in wallet. And mine was a renewal after an extended lapse. So you can circle your calender 45 days from when you washed the ink off your fingers. It will not come early.

Mine came in about 30 days, this was about a year ago. It took 3 weeks to get an appointment though, so schedule your appointment now even if you don't have the paperwork done. I just did my change of address appointment, and it was about a 3 week wait for that too. They printed a new one out for me on the spot for an address change.

Mine came in the maximum time limit, whatever she said it was (30 or 45 days, I can't remember). When I got it in the mail the birthday was wrong; I called her back, and a replacement with the correct birthday arrived the following day.

Thanks to everyone who's posted so far. Just to clarify, mine is a new license app, not a renewal or anything like that. I guess I'll expect it in the maximum 45 days.

On a different note, where do folks from our neck of the woods practice? I've been to the Clackamas County sheriffs range a few times, but it's difficult to get there without a car from Salem and seems dicey to transport firearms legally via bus/train to get there (without a CHL)...

I would have to say 4 corners rod and gun club. Its expensive but as far as I know that's about all there is that you can get to w/o a car and even then its a bit out of town.

Thanks to everyone who's posted so far. Just to clarify, mine is a new license app, not a renewal or anything like that. I guess I'll expect it in the maximum 45 days.

On a different note, where do folks from our neck of the woods practice? I've been to the Clackamas County sheriffs range a few times, but it's difficult to get there without a car from Salem and seems dicey to transport firearms legally via bus/train to get there (without a CHL)...

I usually go to Browns Camp (well not now since the main pit is closed due to current rock crushing ops there), the two pits on Salmonberry Rd, or the pits on Memaloose Rd.

45 days wait for a permit? Thats kinda long. Ive gotten FBI background checks done on me when I was doing homehealth work in Nevada in 2 weeks. :p

So you don't have a car at all?

Yeah, I just graduated college and never really needed one. When (hopefully) my CHL comes in, it'll be as much a license for me to go practice as a license to carry, at least until I get some wheels.

Thanks for all the suggestions on where to practice. I've heard a bit about Four Corners, but the membership fees and location are a bit out of reach for me. Looks like getting a car trumps another gun for now... :p

45 days wait for a permit? Thats kinda long. Ive gotten FBI background checks done on me when I was doing homehealth work in Nevada in 2 weeks. :p

According to ORS 166.292, counties must issue the CHL to an applicant within 45 days of submittal of the application, assuming that the application is approved (I looked it up, bored at work). From what I've heard from my CHL-bearing friends and folks on this thread, MCSO is either majorly swamped with CHL apps or they're dragging their feet and issuing CHLs only after the max allowable time has passed...

Mine took right at 45 days. Would have been quicker but the state kicked back the fingerprints twice. Had to go to the state police office and have prints taken by them at an additional $20.

Well, I'm now the happy recipient of a Marion County CHL! It took 44 calendar days, from submitting the application to getting the card in the mail. Happy waiting to everyone with apps pending.

52 days, extra $20 for a visit to the state police for electronic fingerprinting after the ink and paper failed. Turns out I have no fingerprints.

There is a thread here somewhere that is a series of reports on time taken by each county.

Well, I'm now the happy recipient of a Marion County CHL! It took 44 calendar days, from submitting the application to getting the card in the mail. Happy waiting to everyone with apps pending.

When you get some wheels you might consider ARPC. They are in Shed Oregon just south of Albany off I-5. You can draw from your holster, shoot full auto, .50 cal., etc.....I love it there. It's not that expensive, especially if you volunteer some time. It's one of the few ranges left that doesn't nit-pick you to death with very restrictive range rules. You should read the range rules before you even consider joining a place like four corners. :s0159:

You can check the portion of this forum dedicated to informal shooting areas. Most ranges require membership, which is a surprise for someone accustomed to a wide range of public options--in the SF Bay area, no less.

If you check their onlline calendars you'll find the clubs do have frequent events--usually competitions or training--where the public is welcomed.

Four Corners is a convenient location for marksmanship. Tri-County and Albany Rifle and Pistol Club have more options and are about equidistant from Salem. Tri-County is nice with large property and may have more shotgun options. Albany has less restrictions than Tri-County and a more developed (weather protected) series of ranges and bays for handguns, rifles, full auto.

<broken link removed>
Welcome to Tri-County Gun Club
www.arpc.info

As an aside, Albany sponsors full auto shoots with public participation and the gun show this weekend at the Linn County fairgrounds.

<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews