JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, we scored 2 elk for the 4 of us. We had 3 cow tags and one 3-pt or better bull tag. We got a fat old cow (345 lb hanging) and a big calf over in West Klickitat, GMU 578.

I myself saw only one fresh set of elk tracks and a pile of fresh crap. It was slim pickings out there.

I saw a buttload of deer tracks (during elk season), but no hair. Saw a couple of older bear tracks, 2 sets of coyote tracks and no cat tracks. I don't know where all the critters are hiding.

Got 6 inchres of snow on Tuesday which melted and re-froze making for somewhat less than ideal sneaking conditions.

All in all it was a good time. 2 elk ain't too bad I reckon.

Jerry

We really lucked out and got 11 out of 15 tags

81e8df71.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Had spike only tags and were hunting the southeast corner of the Starkey unit on private land. It's usually a very good area, but this year we saw absolutely zero elk with antlers. Saw many cows and calves, and quite a few bucks and does. Oh well, beats the heck out of working!

Got a half decent spike opening day of Oregon coast first season. He was 404lbs. hanging weight, not bad for a spike:). Maybe it was the spring peas that decided to come back for a second harvest this fall. Shot it off of my buddies farm two weeks after he knocked a nice 5x5 off the same property. Should eat good for a while.

Spent several days in and around Badger Creek wilderness. Saw one set of fresh bull tracks up pretty high, lots of cow tracks and beds down low, but not a single animal seen. This was my first time hunting, solo to boot. Already looking forward to next year.

To jrozes, hang in there. I've been fortunate enough to have harvested mor elk than I can honestly remember, BUT,, I didnt hang a tag on one this year. The fog killed us for three days. We had put four nice bulls to bed friday night and wouldnt know it, we might as well as put down our rifles and picked up a bow's! You couldnt see more than 50 yrds for three long, really long days. Such is elk hunting and all of it that keeps us coming back. We did manage a couple of bulls out of five, but so goes the best laid plans of mice and men. God I love elk hunting!

I saw 4 elk over the course of the 5 days I got to hunt. The first one was laying down, taking a nap while 4 guys in orange (I thought they were county workers because they were all 4 just standing there staring at it :s0114::s0114:) Then a 2 point with a cow, but of course, a 2 point isn't good enough for WA. It sure looked delicious though! Then the last one was laying next to the logging road in a couple pieces. The crows sure were having a good time with it. Even with the reduced license fees for a vet, this year was pretty close to being a waste of money.

My Wife and I went out all weekend camping in the Salmonberry with the pop up. Lots of snow!
We stumbled upon a cow that had a leg wound and a spike that pulled a Houdini. Tracked the Mom for most of the day up out of the North fork through the steepest, wettest, thickest ****. Someone was about a half click behind us for the first hour or so but they were on the wrong side of the river so I think they had no idea where it went. Later we ran into Mom and Spike again but they were bolting straight down an unbelievable grade through the trees. Never seen them again and although I did a few crash and burns trying to keep up, they won that battle and so we forfeited and went for tequila and beer.
Went back out the next day, reverse hike because we found dozens of signs and fresh tracks. By that time it was dumping out so we had to get the trailer out.
Oh yeah, to the guys in the three rigs on Monday, thanks for leaving us stuck in a snow storm after we left the road so you could pass with your fifth wheel. Can't wait to meet you all face to face, cowards.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top