JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all… The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic… There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else. Teddy Roosevelt

You are an American or you are not. If you are, identify yourself on line 9 of the census as; Some other race - Print race. Let it read AMERICAN!!!!

Couldn't agree more - I have always felt that way. I loathe the hyphen. Every time I've had to fill out paperwork for a gun I joke to the counterman (not really) about where is the "None Of Your F'ing Business" box under the race section. Alas, it's a government form and everything race related is still the most important thing to these idiots. You can't ration entitlements or court the correct voting bloc without knowing how much melanin someone has in his/her skin. It's nauseating.

Ok, so like bho you ain't proud to be an AMERICAN? Sad.

Acknowledging ones ethnic ancestry does not make them any less proud to be an American.

I am proud that my family came out of Ireland, Scotland, and Norway.

I am an American. Proudly so. But if you think that acknowledging where my family came from makes me unpatriotic or ashamed to be an American, perhaps you need to re-examine yourself.

Open up your mind and let some air in.

Acknowledging my ethnic ancestry does not make me any less proud to be an American. But I am proud that my family came out of Ireland, Scotland, and Norway as well.

I am an American. Proudly so. But if you think that acknowledging where my family came from makes me unpatriotic or ashamed to be an American, perhaps you need to re-examine yourself.

I, like you (given your stated genetic makeup), lack melanin as well. Do I have pride in who I am and where my forbearers came from? Sure, but at the end of the day I am the sum of all parts: an American.

The point the original poster was making – I think given the title of Census 2010 - is that when it comes to the census and government in general ethnicity is irrelevant entirely. We are all Americans – men, women and children. Nothing more, nothing less and skin color has exactly nothing to do with anything the government needs to know. Do I have pride in my ethnicity? Sure. Thing is that where my ancestors came from is exactly nobody’s business and shouldn’t be made a mandatory question box on any form as it’s totally irrelevant. The constitution calls for a head count, not race count.

Anyone on any internet sight who is a big enough bubblegum to say someone is not proud to be an American having never met or talked to them in person is a close minded jack-***.

The original thread had validity. The OP threw out that validity when he questioned someone's pride for saying they considered themselves members of the human race. I see what your saying tallshipsgo, but the op took it too far...

I don't see where he suggested it was bad to have pride in your origins, only that it is detrimental to the unity of this country to have your primary identity be anything other than AMERICAN. The people that rule us use this divide and conquer to keep us more manageable. If we're whacking at each other for some perceived difference, we won't look up enough to see what these bastards are doing to us. Whoa down there big fuzzy - I'm proud of my welsh ancestry too - but I'm an american first.

As for skin color - dont give a damn - if you'll stand up with me when its time, thats good enough for me.

This thread raises a question for me, although not directly related to the OP's post. What exactly are we REQUIRED to provide on the census form? My personal feeling is how many people live at my domicile. Anything else is none of their business.

Christopher Walken talks to a census taker. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XtuPvwBa2U

I actually thought about doing this when a preliminary census taker showed up at our house one day. I would include the cats, wolf,stuffed tigers, lions, leopards, but no bobcat yet... :)

I'll fill out the form, its not like Oregon will become more conservative if I don't and I think its kind of interesting to see the demographics of our society. What the government does with that information is another story.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/barnett/barnett18.1.html

<broken link removed>

Sample letter to Census Bureau

To Whom it May Concern,

Pursuant to Article I, Section 2, Clause 3 of the Constitution, the only information you are empowered to request is the total number of occupants at this address. My “name, sex, age, date of birth, race, ethnicity, telephone number, relationship and housing tenure” have absolutely nothing to do with apportioning direct taxes or determining the number of representatives in the House of Representatives. Therefore, neither Congress nor the Census Bureau have the constitutional authority to make that information request a component of the enumeration outlined in Article I, Section 2, Clause 3. In addition, I cannot be subject to a fine for basing my conduct on the Constitution because that document trumps laws passed by Congress.

Interstate Commerce Commission v. Brimson, 154 U.S. 447, 479 (May 26, 1894)

“Neither branch of the legislative department [House of Representatives or Senate], still less any merely administrative body [such as the Census Bureau], established by congress, possesses, or can be invested with, a general power of making inquiry into the private affairs of the citizen. Kilbourn v. Thompson, 103 U.S. 168, 190. We said in Boyd v. U.S., 116 U. S. 616, 630, 6 Sup. Ct. 524,&#8213;and it cannot be too often repeated,&#8213;that the principles that embody the essence of constitutional liberty and security forbid all invasions on the part of government and it’s employees of the sanctity of a man’s home and the privacies of his life. As said by Mr. Justice Field in Re Pacific Ry. Commission, 32 Fed. 241, 250, ‘of all the rights of the citizen, few are of greater importance or more essential to his peace and happiness than the right of personal security, and that involves, not merely protection of his person from assault, but exemption of his private affairs, books, and papers from inspection and scrutiny of others. Without the enjoyment of this right, all others would lose half their value.’”

Note: This United States Supreme Court case has never been overturned.

Respectfully,

A Citizen of the United States of America

I'm planning to fill out the whole form, but pretty curious to see what, if anything, will happen to people who don't. It looks like the maximum penalty is a $100 fine...

My gut tells me that the "see what will come of it" strategy makes the most sense. A letter with specific constitutional or legal objections may attract negative attention, but is not likely to otherwise influence the procedure the bureau follows for a particular household.

This thread raises a question for me, although not directly related to the OP's post. What exactly are we REQUIRED to provide on the census form? My personal feeling is how many people live at my domicile. Anything else is none of their business.

That is exactly what I will put on the form. How many occupants live at the address. NOTHING else.

Acknowledging ones ethnic ancestry does not make them any less proud to be an American.

I am proud that my family came out of Ireland, Scotland, and Norway.

What is being said here is you ain't a Irish-American, or a Scottish-American nor am I an Italian-American you are an American just like me. Proud? **** yes. But I'm an American before I am anything else. And you can acknowledge your ethnicity and your ancestry all you want when you mark "white" on the census form. Me, I'm going to claim my birth right, I'm an AMERICAN, no mater what my ethnicity or ancestry is! But maybe they will let you write in, Irish-Norwegian-Scottish-American. Or like me, mutt!

Give that man a tail & two ears!!!! Ladies & gentlemen we have a winner!!!!!!

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top