JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
saw a sporterized smle at the last show for 150 (16" barrel, a real flame thrower), I have a m91/59, an m44, and a m38. any of which would make great brush guns, I to think a scope is a bad idea on a brush gun. K.I.S.S. guns are the best. A "brush gun" is one that will be used at close range on moving targets requiring reactive, instinctive shots, a scope just gets in the way.

the only mod I would do is to modify the bolt handle with what used to be called a "butterknife" or "manlicher" bolt handle. This will require cutting,welding, and shaping.
I would only do it to make the rifle into a snag free package. If a scope was really required a LER scout mount type would be best, in a low power magnification.

just my 2 cents
Once went hunting with a friend who had an Enfield.
Nice gun. Lighter than I expected.
I liked the peep sights.

Scopes can actually be of help in the woods.
They can "cut" through the brush and help determine if you're actually seeing what you think you're seeing.
The secret is using a very low power scope.
Your distances are not very far, so no need for something like a 3-9x.
Keep it under 2x and you'll be fine.
This is why pistol scopes were once a popular accessory on 336's and 94's.
Not only did they address the "shell flinging" issue, they also worked very well at ranges under 100 yards.
A friend of my Dad once had a 94 chambered for the .375 and he put a straight 1x pistol scope on it.
Worked like a champ.
He scored a couple of deer and (I believe) an elk with that gun.

Dean

"You can still find some 303 british Enfields out there for around $150. "
Not in military trim you aren't. Lowest I have seen in a LONG time is right around $200-250. Century had wire wraps for a little under $200, but you'd still be around the $200 mark with shipping and a C&R.

Sporterized Enfields are a travesty. Unless you are keeping your original stock, and making a sporter stock, or buying one. If you cut the barrel, it's a sin.

"You can still find some 303 british Enfields out there for around $150. "
Not in military trim you aren't. Lowest I have seen in a LONG time is right around $200-250. Century had wire wraps for a little under $200, but you'd still be around the $200 mark with shipping and a C&R.

Sporterized Enfields are a travesty. Unless you are keeping your original stock, and making a sporter stock, or buying one. If you cut the barrel, it's a sin.

Of course, but I was refering to ones that some one else had cut down:D. BTW Southern Ohio Gun has #1mk3's for $100 bucks (demilled bolt) and Apex has bolts for $30

you still have to have a C&R for the rifles because the barrel and reciever are not demilled, you do have one don't you?

Of course, but I was refering to ones that some one else had cut down:D. BTW Southern Ohio Gun has #1mk3's for $100 bucks (demilled bolt) and Apex has bolts for $30

you still have to have a C&R for the rifles because the barrel and reciever are not demilled, you do have one don't you?

One should be extremely wary of the DP (Drill Purpose) Rifles. There's probably a reason why they converted it over, and who knows what else they did to them (barrels welded up, holes punched, etc).

Looking over SOG's website, they have No4's which are good rifles in their own right for $199, and for a little more, they have the excellent M39 Finnish Mosin's... at $250. Lots of folks have extolled the virtues of M39's, being very accurate, and a good shooter.

Lots of good options for inexpensive hunting rifles out there.

Cheers!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads