JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm wanting to find a brush gun under $200 that i could put a scope on if I wanted. Being a poor college student I'm going to have some left over money from loans and don't want to hunt with my AK :(. Mosin? beat up k98 at the pawn shop with no markings? Need some suggestion.

Check out H&R or New England Firearm's Handi-Rifles. They are a break action single shot that are available in a variety of hunting calibers and are fairly inexpensive. You could possibly find a used one under $200. I believe new, they run just a little more than that.

The newer NEF handi rifles ar drilled for scope mounts. some of the older ones are not. I just bought a 223 a few days ago. it is very light, easy and fun to shoot. easy to clean, dependable accurate and yes, inexpensive. some people say they are garbage, but thats becouse they have never owned one. The only problem I see with them is they kick harder than others. that doesnt realy matter unless you are shooting a bunch.

Check out H&R or New England Firearm's Handi-Rifles. They are a break action single shot that are available in a variety of hunting calibers and are fairly inexpensive. You could possibly find a used one under $200. I believe new, they run just a little more than that.

I own H&R single shot rifles in .223, .308, and 45-70. I bought them at Bi-Mart for $230 for the .223, and $243 for the 45-70 and .308. I have seen H&R's in pawn shops for around $200. Although single shot, they perform very well. They are very safe because they have a transfer bar trigger system similar to Ruger revolvers. Although not optimal for survival use, they are sufficient for 99% of any other shooting you may need to do. They all use the same scope base so you can buy one scope with quick detachable rings and switch from one gun to the other. I LIKE MINE! Nuff said!

I like the idea of the Mauser K98. If you can find one with a good action and a reasonable bore. Also if you ever decided you wanted to try sporterizing it, the mauser action is a great platform for that.

I believe that the Moisin-Nagant and Mauser are dependable and powerful rifles. I think the Mauser is far superior for sporterizing, especially if you want to put a scope on it. Ammo for 7.62X53R (Moisin) and 8MM Mauser are both plentiful. There are a lot more accesories for the Mauser. The Moisin kicks hard with the factory stock but ATI has an American style replacement stock that should ease the recoil somewhat. Either will do.

I have a mosin nagant 91 carbine in beautiful shape that would be fine for open sight hunting. Also cheaper than dirt has scope mounts for them. I'm selling it for $200.00 .

Last Edited:
Well I'm not sure where Oregon laws fall on this but be careful with the Mosin. Even though it is plenty powerful for hunting some states have regs that exclude rimfire cartridges from big game hunting use. If that is the case you probably wouldn't have trouble but law enforcement could give you a bad day if they felt like it.

If someone could chime in with the appropriate regs/law it would be helpful.

Well I'm not sure where Oregon laws fall on this but be careful with the Mosin. Even though it is plenty powerful for hunting some states have regs that exclude rimfire cartridges from big game hunting use. If that is the case you probably wouldn't have trouble but law enforcement could give you a bad day if they felt like it.

If someone could chime in with the appropriate regs/law it would be helpful.

The 54R cartridge is RIMMED, but not RIMFIRE. It is a centerfire cartridge. There are no commercially available rimfire high power cartridges available.

I apologize for spreading misinformation then. It has been years since I used a Mosin Nagant and I was less into guns then. The owner of the rifle told me it was rimfire and that's what the R stood for.:huh: I have believed that since.:eek:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top