JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm curious what you folks would buy if you had $200 to "mod" an off the shelf ar15 platform rifle in 5.56. No mags/ammo needed. And for the sake of completing the scenario it has irons currently.

I'd roll with a better barrel.

some 416R s. steel, midlength gas system.

I think you can get one of these for $200:

Screenshot_2019-08-02 Chainsaw Bayonet jpg - Washington Times.png

IMO serious use rifles are incomplete without...

1. A good two point sling, I prefer Blue Force Gear VCAS - A sling is to a rifle as a holster is to a pistol.

2. A powerful white light, I typically use Surefire but am looking forward to trying a Modlite OKW-18350. Most bad business goes down in low light, who are you shooting in the dark?

3. A decent Red Dot sight, I use Aimpoint but with a $200 budget look at Sig Romeo, Primary Arms and Holosun. A LPVO is the latest upgrade for optics but you can't touch anything decent for 2 bills.

A better BCG. Because most of the off-the-shelf ones are junk. It's the heart and soul of the rifle.

When we say "off the shelf" do you mean like a bare bones PSA/M&P sport 2 or Springfield saint? Or do you mean bare bones bravo company? Because if it's a PSA or similar, I'd go BCG and a stock. If it's a BCM, I'd go red dot and light (got a Romeo 5 and inforce wml Haley strategic products version from BDU for 200$)

A better BCG. Because most of the off-the-shelf ones are junk. It's the heart and soul of the rifle.

I think you and Andy are on to something there. What would be your choice in BCG? I will generally upgrade to a NIB BCG in most of my rifles, especially the ones with the rough black coating. That is absolute junk and it seems like it needs to be lubed more than others. When I have bought new BCG's, it's been from various companies like Right to bear arms, Fail Zero and most recently with my 6WOA an Aero Precision :eek:... From what I hear, BCG's like Tool craft are good, however, I've yet to try a toolcraft. What is a good BCG? Another $200.00 upgrade would be a good trigger like an RRA 2 stage varmint or Geiselle 2 stage, or single stage CMC. Another thing I'd buy is a good charging handle that helps to block gas from the shooters face like the Raptor, or the Griffin Armament. IF my rifle is not running 100%, sometimes I'll change a buffer to the appropriate weight. Would an adjustable gas block be something to consider instead of doing the buffer tube juggle? Recently I bought an oddball caliber for my AR and it wasn't running 100%. I had to buy something similar to the JP enterprises silent capture spring unit. This was the Armaspec stealth recoil spring unit. I also bought a NIB BCG to get it to running 100%. An AR platform is useless (as far as im concerned) if it does not run flawlessly. All of my AR's run 100%. No if's and's or butts about it... There are a lot of "upgrades" you can do to an AR, but most importantly is getting it to run flawlessly..

AR15 performance barrel in 6.8ll or/and a Young BCG with a AR15 Performance Bolt..

Please point me in the right direction for a 22" stainless fluted 6.8 spc precision barrel. I just bought 250 pcs of 6.8 spc brass from starline. If I cant' get my current 6mm (built from a 6.8 spc) to shoot well, I'm going to turn it into a tomato stake and look for a good 6.8 spc. Thanks...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top