JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many prophets/etc., were considered heretics in their time because they challenged the status quo, the current paradigm, et. al.

All I seek is the truth, and most people not only don't want to hear it, they don't want others to speak it. I have been attacked (figuratively) on many forums for speaking the truth, hence my alias.
I agree, the truth often makes people uncomfortable. The truth may set you free but it won't always make you feel good. I still think Church of the Heretic is straight out of a Dan Brown novel.

If I were the father in this case, and wanted to do everything aboveboard with potential future liability in mind, I'd give the firearm to my son with a dated, handwritten birthday card that described the gift. And I'd staple the purchasing paperwork to the back of the birthday card. Actually, that's what I did a couple years ago when I gave a handgun to my son-in-law. He doesn't know it yet, but he's getting a bolt-down handgun storage container for Christmas [just haven't decided which one yet].

If I were the father in this case, and wanted to do everything aboveboard with potential future liability in mind, I'd give the firearm to my son with a dated, handwritten birthday card that described the gift. And I'd staple the purchasing paperwork to the back of the birthday card. Actually, that's what I did a couple years ago when I gave a handgun to my son-in-law. He doesn't know it yet, but he's getting a bolt-down handgun storage container for Christmas [just haven't decided which one yet].

You're alright.... for a Father IN Law! ;)

:s0155:

I may be mistaken, so check out what I say. I believe that a 18 year old may purchase a handgun, but can't purchase one from a FFL. Kinda makes no sense to me, but what ever came from a Government agency makes sense?
Anyway, have your Dad buy it and give it to you. Then it's all good. What you do for your Dad in return is nobody's business. Just keep it that way.

I may be mistaken, so check out what I say. I believe that a 18 year old may purchase a handgun, but can't purchase one from a FFL. Kinda makes no sense to me, but what ever came from a Government agency makes sense?
Anyway, have your Dad buy it and give it to you. Then it's all good. What you do for your Dad in return is nobody's business. Just keep it that way.
That is true but now in Washington and Oregon you have to use a FFL for paper work BS (not talking about family here) now so how does that work?
Most ffls will tell you a 18yo cannot own a handgun,they don't even know the lawo_O

Hello, I am looking to buy a Glock 19. One problem, I'm 20. My father would be buying the pistol, on one condition: We need to find a way to transfer ownership to myself. Is it possible??

A few question you may have: Yes, we both live in Oregon, Yes, we have clean backgrounds.

Please feel free to ask me any further questions as I'd love to find a way to get a Glock 19.
Transfer through an FFL is impossible since OSP uses the FBI website for checks, and handguns are 21+ federally. I spoke with the ATF, FBI, and OSP at great lengths recently about this topic exactly.

Cannot transfer through FFL.

However, immediate family members can sell to one another.

What they can't do is a straw purchase as I explained earlier; Father cannot buy from an FFL or other private party (not in his family) with the intention of turning around and selling it to his son. Father can gift a firearm to his son, father can keep the gun for a while, decide he doesn't want it, and then sell it to his son without an FFL or BGC, assuming he didn't intend originally to sell the firearm to his son.

Straw purchases are kind of hard to prove, but some people do manage to get caught at it nonetheless.

What constitutes a transfer of a firearm within the immediate family? That would be one that does not require a background check.

I've received differing answers elsewhere about what relationships might qualify and whether the people have to members of the same household. I'm contemplating selling my adult daughter a deer rifle, so I thought I would check it out. The more answers I get the more confused I am.

Here's the statute:

(2) Except as provided in ORS 166.436 (Department of State Police criminal background checks for gun show firearm transfers)and 166.438 (Transfer of firearms at gun shows) and subsection (4) of this section, a transferor may not transfer a firearm to a transferee unless the transfer is completed through a gun dealer as described in subsection (3) of this section.

(3)(a) A transferor may transfer a firearm to a transferee only as provided in this section. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, prior to the transfer both the transferor and the transferee must appear in person before a gun dealer, with the firearm, and request that the gun dealer perform a criminal background check on the transferee.

[SNIP]

(4)The requirements of subsections (2) and (3) of this section do not apply to:

[SNIP]

(c)The transfer of a firearm to:

(A)A transferors spouse or domestic partner;

(B)A transferors parent or stepparent;

(C)A transferors child or stepchild;

(D)A transferors sibling;

(E)A transferors grandparent;

(F)A transferors grandchild;

(G)A transferors aunt or uncle;

(H)A transferors first cousin;

(I)A transferors niece or nephew; or

(J)The spouse or domestic partner of a person specified in subparagraphs (B) to (I) of this paragraph.

Last Edited:
  1. A transferor's: spouse or domestic partner; parent or stepparent; a transferor's child or stepchild; a transferor's sibling, grandparent, grandchild, aunt or uncle, first cousin, niece or nephew, or the spouse or domestic partner of any of the above relatives;

2. Spouse or domestic partner to any of the relatives noted in 2(d) above;

Your Daughter is good to go. The relative that seems to be missing in the exceptions is in-laws.
I could not gift/sell a gun to my Father in-law, or Brother in-law. My wife or son could, but I could not directly. He could gift/sell to me under the spouse exception, but I don't see it working the other way?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads