JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found these barrels for sale on Craigslist for $15 apiece. They are 55 gallons, food-grade plastic, and were used to store a food preservative. The have bung-holes in the top with threaded caps so it was easy to just stick a hose in there and rinse them out.

I drilled a hole about 3" from the bottom of one and installed a $2.50 outdoor faucet and sealed it with silicone. I then cut off the bottom part of my rain gutter downspout and installed an elbow to divert the water to the top of the barrel. You can buy attachments that fit onto your downspout and thread into the bung-hole, but all I did was to cover the bung-hole with some fine wire mesh from a broken window screen to keep debris and bugs out of the barrel. The water just drains right into the hole.

The last step was to drill a hole about 1" from the top and install a piece of PVC pipe with a 90 degree elbow and a downpipe to act as an overflow valve. Once the barrel fills up, the excess water simply drains into the downspout pipe. You could also allow the water to drain into additional barrel(s) as long as the last one in the series is sitting at the lowest level and has its own pipe that drains into your home's downspout opening.

The yield will vary according to roof size and rainfall amount. I have a pretty big roof and on a day with 1" of rain I can fill the entire barrel. I only have one installed so far but I could do 3 or 4 of them if I chose to.

In a SHTF situation where the water gets shut off, I have 55 gallons of water for washing or flushing the toilet. I am sure that it is safe to drink, but I would boil it first anyway if I needed to drink it.

Its easy to focus on the fun stuff like guns and ammo and camping equipment, but you cant overlook the basics like water.

rain barrel.jpg

Good post. I've been meaning to get a setup like this. Something to consider is that your roof might have some bird poop on it. There are diverter valves out there that let rain go out onto the ground for the first few minutes and then send the water into your barrel once it's rinsed off.

Good post. I've been meaning to get a setup like this. Something to consider is that your roof might have some bird poop on it. There are diverter valves out there that let rain go out onto the ground for the first few minutes and then send the water into your barrel once it's rinsed off.

He said poop!! :s0114:

Great post, I built some like these myself. To save $5 more...there is a food supply company up on airport way in Portland...sorry, I forgot the name...they make teriyaki and soy sauce and such...you can buy their barrels for $10; same deal 55 gallon and food grade, mine had been full of vinegar.

These are EZ to build too.

Great post, I built some like these myself. To save $5 more...there is a food supply company up on airport way in Portland...sorry, I forgot the name...they make teriyaki and soy sauce and such...you can buy their barrels for $10; same deal 55 gallon and food grade, mine had been full of vinegar.

These are EZ to build too.

Must be Mr.Yoshida's, it's the only soy sauce company I can think of in portland.

I'll see your 55 gallons and raise you 285 gallons:

<broken link removed>

we have 3 of these, two in the backyard collecting for use on the garden and one in the front yard for watering the grass in the summer. Not food grade at the moment but could be with a different filter on the intake and a food grade filter in the house.

If the state of Washington has declared ownership for the rain that falls on your private property you should sue them to keep it off or put in a meter and bill them for the disposal.

I know this is the Obama era so anything is possible but I find it hard to believe that they could make it illegal to capture the rain from your own roof (property). Now a river or stream is different but rainwater?

Are you FREAKING KIDDING?

T_H

:bsflag:

Be mindful of your roofing material - some composition roofing has been treated with anti-moss and fungal chemicals. Probably fine for most uses, but for drinking water I would try to use water from metal roofing.

Yeah, I read somewhere that rainwater harvesting was also illegal in colorado for a while. Crazy. And yes, drinking water should come from a metal roof--my next catch will go under the downspout from my carport because it is metal--will likely use food grade filters so I can drink it with one treatment from my indoor filter.

What he didn't say is this is illegal to do in WA. They consider rainfall state property so you can't gather it. Now that's poop!

Not true. IT IS NOT ILLEGAL.

http://www.harvesth2o.com/washington_regs_kurt_unger.shtml

"To the delight of the green building community and many other Washingtonians throughout the state, the Department of Ecology issued a policy statement issued on October 12th clarifying that water rights are not required for either the use of or the on-site storage of rainwater collected by a rooftop system or a guzzler (Guzzlers are devices used to catch and store rainwater and dew to provide wildlife or livestock with drinking water.)"

If you're debating between buying the blue container or the clear, go with the blue. Sun stimulates the growth of algae. If the blue doesnt' allow sun through to the water, you should not have problems with Algae. You can also combat this by putting the barrel in a shady spot, or indoors.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top