JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks like tons of fun, but you might want to rethink the waders. If you ever did wind up going into the drink, those things would fill up with water pretty fast. Might become an anchor at that point.
A cheap alternative to a dry suit might be the old neoprene type of wader.

Yes, I was going to say neoprene chest waders fit tight and float very well, unless you get upside down in them. But what is this about "old" neoprene waders? I've got some lightweight rubber coated nylon chest waders that I bought for hunting the marshes, but I much prefer neoprene with polypropylene underneath for cold season river fishing! A dry suit might be overdoing it a bit for that...

When we're on the lake...Just recently Siltcoos for three weeks... When were done fishing and pull anchor to head in, I say to Wifey...HEY! There's some kayaks, let's buzz 'em!

We never do, I just say that. Snork. I treat kayaker's with the same, maybe more, consideration as I do other motorized watercraft.

@Dyjital I'll figure you being a solid gun enthusiast would probably have more common sense than the plain old kayak owner. So I'm not addressing you specifically. But I'll say this just to get it off my chest I suppose.

Kayak pilots can be as dumb and inconsiderate as bicyclists on our city streets. Our place at Siltcoos was right next to the public boat ramp. Our place on the right and the single lane ramp on the left.

We witnessed some of the most inconsiderate ramp blocking I've seen. Not to mention kayaker's taking up the parking for vehicles with trailers with only their Prius... And their friends, another whole lane. Two people taking up the ramp for 30 minutes while they slowly and meticulously tied their Yaks to the top of their SUV, while it was parked on the ramp. There were a boat or three waiting out on the dock to take out, and at times, waiting to put in. not all, but enough to be a problem on a Saturday afternoon. Courtesy dictates you get in and out in a quick manor. Park you car to the side and carry the yaks away from the ramp to load. Do the same putting in. Yaker's should lobby the powers, seeing as they are at least paying something now for ramp use, to make some simple up grades. The ramp above could easily be cheaply modified by removing some grass down to the water and make a 15'-20' sandy beach for yaker's. It would be better for them I would think as they wouldn't have the yaks on the hard concrete ramp.
Kayaker's should seriously consider putting up a whip with a brightly colored flag at the top. I think a lot of kayaker's have never spent much time in a decent sized power boat. You're red/yellow yak isn't all that visible sitting less than a foot above the water. Add some chop and it's worse. Not so bad when yaker's hug the shore, but when out in the middle of a large body of water?

Yep, nobody owns the water. But there are still the rules of nature you can't fight. Kayaker's can be given the right of way, but when they don't pay attention and are fiddling around in the middle of a river that is also used, legally, by jet boaters? Their just dumb and/or dicks.
I think anything over ten feet needs to have tags and such, and you pay by the foot. Love your idea of expanding the launches to accommodate kayaks and canoes, as the pavement is not ideal to launch such craft.
A lot of people on the water are stupid, just like the roads and everywhere else, can't fix that.

Yes, I was going to say neoprene chest waders fit tight and float very well, unless you get upside down in them. But what is this about "old" neoprene waders? I've got some lightweight rubber coated nylon chest waders that I bought for hunting the marshes, but I much prefer neoprene with polypropylene underneath for cold season river fishing! A dry suit might be overdoing it a bit for that...
Neoprene waders were more popular than the polyester waders which have taken over the market, if I recall correctly neoprene was the only option for chest high waders when I was growing up.

Last Edited:
Neoprene waders were more popular than the polyester waders which have taken over the market, if I recall correctly neoprene was the only option for chest high waders when I was growing up.

Now I'm gonna haveta go up in the loft to see what those marsh waders are made of... they sure are lightweight. But not warm. No, not warm at all!!!

Thoughtless, irresponsible and dangerous. That's the way to do it.

Your missing the point. There are quit a few places where jet propelled boats can't shut down, such as in shallow water. Or even deep water, where speed needs to be kept up to get through up-coming shallow water. backing off the throttle at such time could put the power boat, and it occupants, in danger. It would seems pretty flippin' selfish for a paddle boater to insist on occupying such waters and claiming right of way. Something like a guy riding his Honda 90 in the far left lane on a freeway where the speed limit is 75 mph. :D Common sense goes both ways.

Edit: Oo, just dawned on me...You might have bee speaking about those in kayaks.

Impressive! Try not to swamp the guy in the jet boat will ya? LOL I had no idea there were so many of this style available now. I've seen the Hobies in the coastal bays, they look fairly accomplished. You likely paid more than I did for an aluminum boat with a 25hp motor, those things don't seem cheap. Can you speak to why you got an old town and not a Hobie?

11 Best Pedal Kayaks: Your Easy Buying Guide
and
Pedal-Powered Kayak Olympics: The Ultimate Fishing Kayak Testing | Kayak Angler
A base Hobie outback was about $900 more than the base price I paid without adding accessories and at the time there was about a 3 month wait for the Hobie. More and more pedal powered kayaks are coming into the market and prices are dropping with introductory models. Most base start about 1K less than a reliable pedal powered version. The one I have without pedals was $1200, a lot of price is that drive system.

I may have paid more but I know that I can quietly cruise along the water burning no gasoline. I'm a quiet and reserved person most of the time so they suit my needs better. Add to that, if capsized, these SOT kayaks float.

Your link shows the Ocean Mirage as their top choice, it is almost identical to mine, smaller drive unit and shorter a little i believe. Same mfg.

I think anything over ten feet needs to have tags and such, and you pay by the foot.
for Kayaks, 10' and over requires an $18/year 'permit' or $32 for two years. No charges beyond that. Only if you put a motor on one.

Your missing the point. There are quit a few places where jet propelled boats can't shut down, such as in shallow water. Or even deep water, where speed needs to be kept up to get through up-coming shallow water. backing off the throttle at such time could put the power boat, and it occupants, in danger. It would seems pretty flippin' selfish for a paddle boater to insist on occupying such waters and claiming right of way. Something like a guy riding his Honda 90 in the far left lane on a freeway where the speed limit is 75 mph. :D Common sense goes both ways.

Edit: Oo, just dawned on me...You might have bee speaking about those in kayaks.
Sorry, I was speaking as a decades long highspeed power boater, water skier, fisherman and kayaker. I apologize for reacting to the juvenile spin dropped into this conversation. Which started, incidentally, as a reasonable chat about the joys of kayak fishing (speaking of missing the point).

Last Edited:
As a fisher man and someone who works on the water for my living, I do get annoyed at some kayakers.

That said I get even more annoyed at those who aren't responsible about their wake, or ignorant about the right of way laws (talking about you mr sailboat under power).

I enjoy watching people use our waterways responsibly, as too few understand how to follow the rules on the water. I say whatever gets you out and enjoying nature in a responsible way is awesome!

First real outing this year was exhausting.
Recently added a Hobie Pro Angler 14 to the lineup and that thing feels like a yacht compared to the others

Dog went with and he was a good boy.
Kayak anglers aren't all experienced boaters, too my nephew 'fishing' yesterday and his first experience on a kayak was a good one since there weren't any boats on the water to rock him and freak him out.

Hard to fish when your companion is always putting forth diarrhea from his mouth and you can't tell if he is talking to you or just needs duct tape for his inner monologue.

Between buddy of mine and us two, only one trout (native) was caught and released. Water a little cold for what I wanted to target. I'd like to go again without needing to haul everyone's gear up there. Travel light and efficient.

A08402A5-2740-4C3C-9BF9-D94C55134E0E.jpeg 84EAEA4E-24A1-4587-B3DC-BFB73DC389AA.jpeg EA78A83B-3E65-4AE7-A25C-E96E1623C05C.jpeg

First real outing this year was exhausting.
Recently added a Hobie Pro Angler 14 to the lineup and that thing feels like a yacht compared to the others

Dog went with and he was a good boy.
Kayak anglers aren't all experienced boaters, too my nephew 'fishing' yesterday and his first experience on a kayak was a good one since there weren't any boats on the water to rock him and freak him out.

Hard to fish when your companion is always putting forth diarrhea from his mouth and you can't tell if he is talking to you or just needs duct tape for his inner monologue.

Between buddy of mine and us two, only one trout (native) was caught and released. Water a little cold for what I wanted to target. I'd like to go again without needing to haul everyone's gear up there. Travel light and efficient.

View attachment 850321 View attachment 850322 View attachment 850323

My lady and I are seriously considering a Hobie for having fun in the water and a bit of exercise together.

That said the Hobie isn't exactly a small investment, was it worth the up charge in your opinion?

That said the Hobie isn't exactly a small investment, was it worth the up charge in your opinion?
Lots of pros and cons.

Two major cons of the Hobie: price, no instant reverse like a pedal kayak.

Stability is great on this one and the orients have the outbacks.
I really like the Topwater PDL... Old Town has some great kayaks.

Hobies are nice but spendy and have proprietary rail systems etc. two different class of kayaks.

I am serious, looking forward to a good season! Don't be so suspicious of someone who likes the Oregon waterways.

I'm always saddened by drownings of swimmers and boaters alike. I guess I could lump you into the boating class as well. Be safe!

I am serious, looking forward to a good season! Don't be so suspicious of someone who likes the Oregon waterways.

I'm always saddened by drownings of swimmers and boaters alike. I guess I could lump you into the boating class as well. Be safe!
That's fine but..
I quote:

Kayak fishing? Never heard of it. Good Lord Kayaks are a big enough nuisance as is without loading them down with expensive fishing gear. My jet boat loves them. Kayaks are used as pylons in my neck of the Willamette River. Run them up the small streams and tributary's but stay out of the main channels during Summer!
Then don't get upset when we jet boaters buzz you at 60 MPH and the River Patrol tickets you for not wearing your PPE. Stay shallow when the river is low.
No need to be philosophical about it. I love fishing (which I do), just had a bad experience w/kayakers hogging the waterways.
Then adding the last facetious comment....
Plenty of H2O for us all.

your words, not mine.

I was excited about this thread. As I've been thinking about trying kayaking, not for fishing, but for recreational activity. Maybe I'll stick with biking and hiking, don't need to get run out of the water! Yikes!

Sorry a thread about something you are excited about got quickly pooped on @Dyjital Ive experienced this one too many times on NWFA sadly.

I was excited about this thread. As I've been thinking about trying kayaking, not for fishing, but for recreational activity. Maybe I'll stick with biking and hiking, don't need to get run out of the water! Yikes!

Sorry a thread about something you are excited about got quickly pooped on @Dyjital Ive experienced this one too many times on NWFA sadly.
I'm a terrible fisherman. I do it to get out so it's more recreational.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top