JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After many years of not fishing, I was goaded into getting my permissions from the crown by my dear friend @Baseacegoku to go fishing back in July.
I resisted because I knew the box belonging to Pandora would be opened back up again.

Fast forward to the following months and I made a purchase of an Old Town Topwater 120 PDL kayak. My wife was using a 10' Lifetime el' Cheapo until she realized I was having more fun and went forward to purchase a Perception Pescador 120 Pilot.

I have my Topwater setup almost how I'd like it, a few additions and revisions need to be made to include some securable storage in the back and a better anchor retrieval system.
9CB3C83D-4718-4325-A9F7-312393E2F41B.jpg

IMG_0567.JPG
Went up the S. Santiam arm from Foster Res. to the point where I needed to lift the drive up and paddle. Nice to have the flexibility of feet power and speed.
Can keep a constant 3.5-4mph with pedal power.

My son using his moms Pescador out in the Alsea bay at high/slack tide.
My parents have Hobie Outbacks that they use.
IMG_0614.jpeg

Best part about these are their ability to be towed around behind the Prius.
While I only get 35mpg when pulling the trailer, it is still efficient.
IMG_0820.jpeg

I've since added chest waders for the colder months so I stay dry along with preparing for the purchase this coming spring of a dry suit capable of keeping me warm in the event I tank into the ocean while fishing.
Goals will be to have more time on the water and less time behind the keyboard and electronic screens. The kayak doubles as good exercise when spent out on the water, trolling for fishies really helps this.

So far we've caught countless perch, bluegill, bass, crappie, trout and others I'm sure I am forgetting.

I'd like to run some larger fish species in the ocean and recently I upgraded to some larger and heavier rods/reels/line combos to accommodate the deeper water fishing.
I'll be working on surf launches once I secure a dry suit, I need to overcome my water phobia, not so much the fear of water but the unknown under the water. See: Thalassophobia.

a while ago:
Some rock fishing off the south jetty in Newport, while using some jigs for these critters I managed to hook into three chinook, the last one which took line and ran without stopping bending the hook.
IMG_0874.JPG

Early morning on the water is always good.
IMG_0892.jpeg

Looking forward to the reservoirs being lower in water level where it limits access for the boats that like to send huge wakes my way.

Old Town Kayaks & Canoes Topwater 120 PDL
Length: 12' 6"
Width: 36"
Stability: Very good
Speed: Reasonable
Weight: 106lbs
Propulsion: Human & Pedals
Price: varies but around $2150
Price as equipped: about $3,000 with all gear

Last Edited:
Very nice...reminds me of my younger days back in Oklahoma, on the little chain of lakes in the Wichita Wildlife Refuge. Inner tubes with chest waders, kickers or flippers, ultra light tackle, fishing for small and large mouth bass...good times!

Man, it's a sickness! I haven't taken my Guillemot out for several years, but man, you want a good solid kayak for big water, and these traditional cedar strip boats are a whole nother level of cool when you build your own! Not the fastest of boats, but I can still out run a big bunch of them in the big water! I don't run rod holders on mine ( Ruins the looks of the boat) but I can strap the rods to the decks and it's all good! Use soft "Kill Bags" and lash them to your deck and wet them down now and then and you can keep your fish far longer with out risking them in the water behind your boat!

@Ura-Ki I wish I could run a narrower kayak but my stability isn't very good, I can get vertigo for no reason. All leads back to one incident about 15 years ago on a fair ride. Kind of scrambled me a little.

@Ura-Ki I wish I could run a narrower kayak but my stability isn't very good, I can get vertigo for no reason. All leads back to one incident about 15 years ago on a fair ride. Kind of scrambled me a little.
That's the best thing about the Guillemot design kits, you can make them/modify them for better stability if needed! I didn't need to change mine, but could have, mine has the "Swede Form" hull which is very stable despite it's narrowness, and it's very fast, and very sure in the rough stuff! It's so stable that it doesn't need a skeg, keel, or rudder! Once you get into the Sea Kayaks, your actually better served building rather then buying, some of those ( Like my old Composite Eskimo 19 footer) can run several thousand dollars!

Looks like tons of fun, but you might want to rethink the waders. If you ever did wind up going into the drink, those things would fill up with water pretty fast. Might become an anchor at that point.
I wear a PFD at all times, not "within reach" so I'm not too concerned. It was a consideration of mine but I run waders in calm water, when I hit the ocean the Dry Suit will be the go-to for that reason. If and when I go in the drink.

The 36" double U shape of the hull on this one lends to a very stable platform.

You've inspired me to get a serious kayak with your stories! It helps to see the prius pulling all those kayaks, since that's what I have now. I'm going to start looking into it. Good luck out on the water! Tight lines!

*note on that type of wader, they're pretty safe as with a properly adjusted wade belt.A cheap alternative to a dry suit might be the old neoprene type of wader.

You've inspired me to get a serious kayak with your stories! It helps to see the prius pulling all those kayaks, since that's what I have now. I'm going to start looking into it. Good luck out on the water! Tight lines!

*note on that type of wader, they're pretty safe as with a properly adjusted wade belt.A cheap alternative to a dry suit might be the old neoprene type of wader.
TorkLift sells and makes 2" receivers for these cars.
this way I can use any stinger or accessory and not limited.

Kayak fishing? Never heard of it. Good Lord Kayaks are a big enough nuisance as is without loading them down with expensive fishing gear. My jet boat loves them. Kayaks are used as pylons in my neck of the Willamette River. Run them up the small streams and tributary's but stay out of the main channels during Summer!

Kayak fishing? Never heard of it. Good Lord Kayaks are a big enough nuisance as is without loading them down with expensive fishing gear. My jet boat loves them. Kayaks are used as pylons in my neck of the Willamette River. Run them up the small streams and tributary's but stay out of the main channels during Summer!
Ummm... no.

Then don't get upset when we jet boaters buzz you at 60 MPH and the River Patrol tickets you for not wearing your PPE. Stay shallow when the river is low.

Then don't get upset when we jet boaters buzz you at 60 MPH and the River Patrol tickets you for not wearing your PPE. Stay shallow when the river is low.
You make a wonderful contribution to this thread, and I'm sure that is reflective of your place on this earth.
;)

TorkLift sells and makes 2" receivers for these cars.
this way I can use any stinger or accessory and not limited.
I'll have to look into it more. I have been looking at roof racks, but will add this to the list. I did think it was curious and maybe a redundancy when there was a recommended service maintenance list for towing.

No need to be philosophical about it. I love fishing (which I do), just had a bad experience w/kayakers hogging the waterways.

No need to be philosophical about it. I love fishing (which I do), just had a bad experience w/kayakers hogging the waterways.
I agree that it is every boaters responsibility to be aware of their surroundings and the other boaters on the water.
I guess I can relate when I see bicyclists on timber roads... :s0114:

When we're on the lake...Just recently Siltcoos for three weeks... When were done fishing and pull anchor to head in, I say to Wifey...HEY! There's some kayaks, let's buzz 'em!

We never do, I just say that. Snork. I treat kayaker's with the same, maybe more, consideration as I do other motorized watercraft.

Last time I checked, nobody in particular owns the waterways.

@Dyjital I'll figure you being a solid gun enthusiast would probably have more common sense than the plain old kayak owner. So I'm not addressing you specifically. But I'll say this just to get it off my chest I suppose.

Kayak pilots can be as dumb and inconsiderate as bicyclists on our city streets. Our place at Siltcoos was right next to the public boat ramp. Our place on the right and the single lane ramp on the left.

We witnessed some of the most inconsiderate ramp blocking I've seen. Not to mention kayaker's taking up the parking for vehicles with trailers with only their Prius... And their friends, another whole lane. Two people taking up the ramp for 30 minutes while they slowly and meticulously tied their Yaks to the top of their SUV, while it was parked on the ramp. There were a boat or three waiting out on the dock to take out, and at times, waiting to put in. not all, but enough to be a problem on a Saturday afternoon. Courtesy dictates you get in and out in a quick manor. Park you car to the side and carry the yaks away from the ramp to load. Do the same putting in. Yaker's should lobby the powers, seeing as they are at least paying something now for ramp use, to make some simple up grades. The ramp above could easily be cheaply modified by removing some grass down to the water and make a 15'-20' sandy beach for yaker's. It would be better for them I would think as they wouldn't have the yaks on the hard concrete ramp.
Kayaker's should seriously consider putting up a whip with a brightly colored flag at the top. I think a lot of kayaker's have never spent much time in a decent sized power boat. You're red/yellow yak isn't all that visible sitting less than a foot above the water. Add some chop and it's worse. Not so bad when yaker's hug the shore, but when out in the middle of a large body of water?

Yep, nobody owns the water. But there are still the rules of nature you can't fight. Kayaker's can be given the right of way, but when they don't pay attention and are fiddling around in the middle of a river that is also used, legally, by jet boaters? Their just dumb and/or dicks.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top