JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking for an inexpensive compact 20 gauge single-shot as a fun/camp/survival/whatever shotgun. I want break-open so that I can use chamber adapters for .410 and various rifle/pistol calibers. The reason I chose 20 is that these type of guns are usually so light that I don't think 12 would be very fun to shoot more than a couple shells. As it is, 20 usually packs a decent punch in the 5-6 pound range that is typical for these.

I've found a H&R/NEF used that fits what I want in barrel/stock length, weight, etc. The only problem is that it has a full choke. It might not be the problem that I think it is, which is why I ask.

I have 2 concerns:
Slugs. I know most slugs technically will work in a full choke but aren't optimal.
Pattern density. I can look up the actual barrel constriction numbers and what not, but I can't find much real-world info on what to expect out of actual patterns. Plus, all the info I can find is on 12 gauge, not 20. How much tighter would it be at 20, 40 yards? Would I have to really hone my shotgunning skills to be able to hit clays, and eventually small game/upland birds?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads