Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.20 gauge 2 3/4 magnum load.

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by andy*, May 15, 2011.

1. andy*

andy* Everson Wa Member

A friend gave me two boxes of .20 gauge 2 3/4 magnum shells. I was wondering if they were safe to use in my 1950's era 2 3/4 chambered non magnum 870 ?
    Thanks,
    Andy

2. Generator

Generator Bend Member

Magnum usually means that there is more shot in the shell. Not more powder. If it was a bullet in a case, then magnum would mean more power in the shot and could be problematic. Since you are talking about a shotgun....a few more pellets/balls will come out of the barrel but it won't be shot 'harder' or with more force than any other 2 3/4 shot.

3. andy*

andy* Everson Wa Member

Thanks, I don't want to wreck the gun I got from my grandpa.
    Andy

4. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Howdy Andy,
    Perfectly safe. That old 870 has excellent steel, and is a good strong gun. You may find that milder loads are much more fun, unless you are chasing pheasants or ducks.

5. andy*

andy* Everson Wa Member

Spitpatch,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I've had this shotgun since I was eight. Love to use it for Grouse,but as you said with a much milder load. As I am more of a BlackPowder rifle guy I always thought the term "magnum" was referring to the receiver, as least as far as shotguns go. Nice to learn more though.
    Thanks, Andy