JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have never shot a slug before so I have a few questions. I recently bought a remmington 870 with a 28" ribbed barrel and a 21" slug barrel. the slug barrel is not rifled. What are the differences between a slug barrel and a standard shotgun barrel. I know it is shorter, has different sights, and no choke. but is the inside diamiter a little diferent/ is the medal different?

I just bought a box of rifled slugs and plan on shooting them next weekend. What kind of accuracy can I expect?
if I bought a rifles barrel and used non rifled slugs would I get better accuracy?

A rifled barrel has a tighter bore so that the lands/grooves engage the sabot encasing an unrifled hourglass shaped slug (sabot = german for boot). This gives the best accuracy.

An unrifled barrel may or may not have a tighter bore than a shot-barrel; my guess is not so as to cut down on manufacturing costs. It shoots best with the Foster-type rifled slug, but won't compare to the accuracy of a rifled barrel. Browing offered a rifled choke about 3" long back in the 80's that did tend to help accuracy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top