Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

20 ga slug barrel

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by littlecars, Oct 18, 2009.

1. littlecars

littlecars tacoma wa Member

I have never shot a slug before so I have a few questions. I recently bought a remmington 870 with a 28" ribbed barrel and a 21" slug barrel. the slug barrel is not rifled. What are the differences between a slug barrel and a standard shotgun barrel. I know it is shorter, has different sights, and no choke. but is the inside diamiter a little diferent/ is the medal different?

I just bought a box of rifled slugs and plan on shooting them next weekend. What kind of accuracy can I expect?
    if I bought a rifles barrel and used non rifled slugs would I get better accuracy?

2. drstrangelove

drstrangelove Vancouver, WA Active Member

A rifled barrel has a tighter bore so that the lands/grooves engage the sabot encasing an unrifled hourglass shaped slug (sabot = german for boot). This gives the best accuracy.

An unrifled barrel may or may not have a tighter bore than a shot-barrel; my guess is not so as to cut down on manufacturing costs. It shoots best with the Foster-type rifled slug, but won't compare to the accuracy of a rifled barrel. Browing offered a rifled choke about 3" long back in the 80's that did tend to help accuracy.