JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was fooling around the other day with a Remington Slugger round. I shoot 20 ga. slugs, and depending on what they hit they can come apart and fragment & lose energy. Sometimes that's ok. But I bored out a 5/8 oz. slug and lightly pressed in a .357 Hornady 140 gr. XTP. That 5/8 slug is now close to 7/8 oz. and weights .85 oz. or 374 gr. I don't load shotgun ammo, but I wanted to see how it looked. It might have merit. I might have to get some dies and load some up and do some testing, What do you think? Am I crazy? Wait a minute, don't answer that...

20ga 357.jpg 20 ga 357a.jpg 20 ga 357b.jpg

I would imagine you would want to use 110 grain XTP instead which would put you around 344 grains, 6 grains below Lyman's 350 grain slugs. But I think it would expand very little. The XTP would want to expand but would have defeat another layer of lead.

Upon impact, I think it would be a hot mess. I believe it would 'drive' the XTP back out and the entire contraption loosing energy in the wrong direction leaving a weakened hollow cylinder (bored slug) to try and penetrate the target.

Perhaps a better solution would be to use a smaller diameter caliber using a plated flat nosed type or hollow point bullet bored into the slug from the front. The slug would need enough lead in the rear (not bored) to propel the bullet forward after impact. The bullet would have to still have enough velocity to expand or deform. I'm assuming that is what you're after: explosive energy dump upon impact (bored slug) with penetration damage (bullet). The entire projectile will have to move pretty fast. Of course, this is all theoretical.

I was fooling around the other day with a Remington Slugger round. I shoot 20 ga. slugs, and depending on what they hit they can come apart and fragment & lose energy. Sometimes that's ok. But I bored out a 5/8 oz. slug and lightly pressed in a .357 Hornady 140 gr. XTP. That 5/8 slug is now close to 7/8 oz. and weights .85 oz. or 374 gr. I don't load shotgun ammo, but I wanted to see how it looked. It might have merit. I might have to get some dies and load some up and do some testing, What do you think? Am I crazy? Wait a minute, don't answer that...

View attachment 855144 View attachment 855145 View attachment 855146
Interesting idea. You might find that the .357 slug doesn't want to expand unless you hotrod the velocity. It might act more like an fmj and just overpenetrate.

Brenneke has some pretty stout 20 ga. rounds. Both the 2 3/4" and 3" use 1 oz. slugs. Their info follows:
3" Magnum 1,476 (fps) Energy 2,120 (ft lbs) ( @ the muzzle )
2 /3/4" 1,392 (fps) Energy 1,886 (ft lbs)
At fifty yards they both still carry over 1100 fps. which should expand the center projectile. Of coarse none of these types of rounds are available. But there are several 1 oz. hevi-shot loads listed on ammoseek. Someone could remove the shot and replace them with a 7/8 oz. modified slug. Should be a fast mover. I need to ponder for a while.

View attachment 855144 View attachment 855145 View attachment 855146
Some times an idea isn't that good an idea. Unless you glue the bullet into the slug (or fabricate some sort of end cap) you'll probably just blow the bullet out (already mentioned) and wedge the remains of the slug in the barrel. Then too no matter how much you "hotrod" the velocity you'll never drive it fast enough to make a difference and it will never expand enough to make a difference over a good slug. You're better off just staying with the slug. Remember, every reloaded cartridge has the potential to be a tiny bomb and ruin your shotgun and your day.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top