JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
it's pleasurable, and offers the promise of more pleasure.

it's not, however, so pleasurable that it's worth the cost to health and wallet thickness, so it is a bit of a mystery.

i started smoking when i was a kid, 15 years old, maybe 14? at that time, in the early 90s, i feel like smoking was still pretty common. i don't know facts, but it feels like half or more of people smoked. most of my friends smoked, all of my family smoked, movie stars still smoked rampantly in movies, airplanes still had ashtrays in them (even if you weren't allowed to smoke in most Western airplanes [you can in fact still smoke in foreign domestic flights, all over this globe tho]), and while not exactly "allowed," my high school still had an unofficially designated smoking area out behind the school and it was fairly common for teachers and students to smoke together between classes.

the first cigarette i smoked was a djarum "clove" cigarette, and i very much enjoyed the buzz it gave me. i was also excited for this rite-of-passage, as i perceived it. i smoked off and on for the next 3 or 4 years until i got married and the wife put an end to it. i think when i quit, cigarettes were $3-4 a pack - spendy, but not a big deal.

fast forward the better part of two decades to my eventual (but inevitable) divorce, and i started smoking again because i could. c it was an act of rebellion against my puritanical ex-wife, an acknowledgement of the fact that i'd only quit because she "made me," and i wanted to be the only guy who looked cool in group pics. i also loved that i was the only athlete i knew that smoked, and was still winning races. there's little that brings me more pleasure than competing with a handicap and winning anyway!

cigarettes were now $6-7 a pack for GOOD smokes (am spirit), but still not financially ruinous or anything. we certainly already knew it wasn't healthy, but i think i just figured i'd quit once before, i can do it again when i want to. which is true... but easier said than done. i just really, really enjoyed it, and everything about it - i loved how much everyone else hated it, i loved that it made me look like i didn't "give a bubblegum," because i really didn't give a bubblegum about anything except how i looked - and i thought smoking a cigarette made me look pretty cool. but i also, of course, loved the little buzz, and loved how it was a mini therapy for emotional distress - life is hard, go take a cigarette break and resent and come back when you've calmed down! i loved the taste, i loved the feeling, i loved the image.

a cigarette and a cup of coffee in the morning (as i am doing right now)? aaahhhh... heaven. so good. a cigarette and a glass of whiskey in the evening? jesus christ heself offers no better salvation to ones soul, my friend.

there does absolutely come a point when it goes from something that offers moments of relaxation and pleasure in ones life, to a thing that actually CAUSES the emotional crises that it alleviates, once addiction is so set in that cravings drive one mad until satisfaction is had through smoking one. at this point, smoking goes from something voluntarily pleasurable to something more obligatory, and thus less of a "cure" and more of a problem in need of a cure. for me, that happens within a year or so of starting smoking regularly... but it can still be very pleasurable, nonetheless. that morning coffee and that glass of whiskey will ALWAYS be better with a cigarette, regardless of how addicted one is.

but then comes the point when you crave a cigarette, so you go smoke one, and it doesn't even taste good. it may even taste gross to you, but you do HAVE to smoke it, lest ye dive into a mood.... and at this point:

it's time to quit.

add to these facts that it's now $9-10/pack... jesus F chriky

but there are people who can smoke "socially" only. i have a couple friends who dont smoke regularly, but bum smokes off me when we're hanging out. they get to enjoy its pleasure without suffering its pain. i envy those guys.

anywho, there's my answer to this question. im sure others' would be somewhat different, but share many themes.
So you smoke crack now?

Lol, just kidding!
A play on the length of your post, which is of course cogent, germane and appreciated.

845AF200-5AC3-4259-89C4-D4C11469C171.jpeg

I never understood the lure of cigarettes. After one is hooked I understand why they would continue, but why anybody smokes in the 1st place is a mystery. I understand why people smoke giggle bush - it makes them feel good, but cigarettes don't, so why bother?
For me it started when I was about 10. Parent's smoked. Back then it seemed everyone did. It was common to see the Doctor smoking. So wanting to be "grown up" had to learn. Deathly ill at first but, had to look grown up. Of course did not take long till it was no longer something that was not fun.

I never understood the lure of cigarettes. After one is hooked I understand why they would continue, but why anybody smokes in the 1st place is a mystery. I understand why people smoke giggle bush - it makes them feel good, but cigarettes don't, so why bother?
I tried it to see what it was like. Then I discovered that it made cheap beer palatable. Then I learned that a smoke with coffee was really nice. And of course it went downhill from there.

I was hooked on Skoal for several years. Now that's a hard habit to break, and it took numerous tries before I finally managed it. A post-prandial dip was especially enjoyable. However, the idea of getting mouth cancer convinced me that it wasn't a good idea.

Stopped drinking in 1987. Got married for the third time. Changed careers a few times. Lived a few places. Owned 3 homes. Been an adventure, with more to come.

Stopped drinking in 1987. Got married for the third time. Changed careers a few times. Lived a few places. Owned 3 homes. Been an adventure, with more to come.
I tried three different times to quit drinking. I tried group therapy, hypnotism, and what's that thing with the needles? Heroin, yeah. Boy that one didn't work at all.

:D

Just trying to lighten the mood... :s0030:

I tried three different times to quit drinking. I tried group therapy, hypnotism, and what's that thing with the needles? Heroin, yeah. Boy that one didn't work at all.

:D

Just trying to lighten the mood... :s0030:
Coffee, cigarettes, sex lotsa sex.
Nothing hornier than a milf with 30 days sober.

made it almost two months.. but in the last 17 days, ive had 17 beers.. so nothin cray

at least i dried out and reset, for now.. talk to me again in a couple months and we'll see if im suckin a bottle a wiley turkey a day again

20 days sober today. I also quit smoking the same day and added up how much I have saved not paying for my bad habits in 20 days and it was $660.

Thats a sig 365 or a glock 19x every 20 days…a 1000rd case of 5.56 ammo or 2 car payments.

I am not tooting my own horn but to anyone who is battling addictions I hope this may be encouraging to you or give you a goal to shoot for.

Isn't it funny how when your wife or kids need something that costs $40 you act like they are asking for too much but you can always find the money for those addictions?

I can't believe how sick I was until I wasn't anymore…
I say go ahead and toot your own horn man! Stay safe, stay sober, and have a great new year! I want to see a report in 2022 about one full year sober! :s0023:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top