JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So some things i noticed on my AR-15 during disassembly that i had questions about.

#1 - When the bolt carrier is fully assembled. Is the firing pin supposed to have a small amount of lateral movement in the carrier before the pin stops it from falling all the way out?

#2 - My actual bolt in the bolt carrier sometimes does not "twist and retract" back into the carrier when i charge the handle. I think this is due to me sometimes following the handle back with my hand so the full force is not applied. Am i suppose to just let the charge handle fly forward or do i possibly need to lube the actual bolt some more?

1. yes, play is normal

2. if its new, your gas rings are tight in the carrier.. so that's probably why it kinks up... but yea, you don't ride the charging handle. You pull back all the way and let go - riding it causes malfunction

3. with ar15s, if you CAN add more lube, you should. run that bisch soaking wet

to add to #2 - the old test of properly fitting gas rings is that you should be able to stand the extended BCG up on a flat surface, bolt on the bottom, and the BCG should *just barely* not collapse on itself. If it's much tighter than that, you know this is your issue here.

Like automotive piston rings, AR15 bolt rings need some time to settle down and lap in. Also known as breaking in but nothing is breaking. The firing pins floats. This means the pin should have some back and forth movement with the cotter pin in.

Easy to conduct some easy tests which are easy. Strip the carrier. Separate the upper and lower. Muzzle down. Plop the stripped carrier, (the key is still bolted on) down into the upper receiver and see if it plops down easily without ever EVER touching the gas tube.

Another fun and easy trick to cut down the break in time of your mighty AR15 is too empty the rifle. Remove magazine. Lube up everything very heavy. Muzzle down. Hand charge. Deftly release the charging handle. Squeeze the trigger. SNAP. Hold it down.

Re hand charge the rifle. This means cocking it. Deftly. Then release the trigger. You should feel a definite "click". That is the disconnecter resetting. You will not hurt your rifle dry firing it. Repeat this about 200 times. Yep. The lube should fly everywhere.

Take down the gun. You will smell hot metal. That is good. Clean off all the gray goo inside the upper receiver and carrier group. You have just lapped in your new rifle. Fun, easy and doable. Yep ... over lube everything for the first 2-300 rounds. Enjoy.

hundreds of builds.

Put your big old thumb on the small top portion of the bolt release.
This will in fact catch the bolt, and lock it to the rear when you pull back on the charging handle.

Then you shove the charging handle to it's forward parked position. With the bolt remaining locked to the rear.
This way there will be no drag caused from the charging handle riding home with the bolt carrier.

Insert one loaded 30 round magazine and press the bolt release, thus loading the weapon.

Congratulations!
You. Like millions before you. Have just effectively ''Locked and loaded'' your AR-15/M-16 rifle. :s0155:

Now go ahead and switch your selector lever from ''Safe'' to ''Fire''. And engage your targets. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top