JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK I'm deciding if I want to go with a Vortex,which is my second choice behind Leopold,for the lifetime warranty,or do my first choice.
Gunna be about the same cost.Within $100 or so when you get to the ones I'm looking at.
Oh that was another thread,sorry
I'm looking for 6-24 power with at least 30mm tube and at least 50mm objective.
$1000-1200 price point.May need more cash I know
This will be on my new 7mm mag m700
So are the one piece bases more better or am I fooling myself that they make the action more rigid?
I do like the fact that there is plenty places to mount the rings
Don't want the Leopold type .I will use picintiny rings.Just my preference
Thanks for the responses in advance
Mike

Screwing on a piece of metal (steel or aluminum) with some dinky 6-48 screws will not make you action any stiffer. Maybe if you welded it..... I like most of the two piece bases because they utilize all 4 screw holes in the top of the action. If you get a good picatinny rail that uses all 4 holes then that would give you the additional mounting points and the additional places to mount your scope to the rail...

I generally like the 2 piece bases for another reason also; they do not block any access to the loading port on my rifles. I have big fingers and this can sometimes be a problem...

I vote Leupold simply I like to support local businesses and should I never need to take advantage of the warranty I can just drive it over there. As far as mounts, I like a one piece as it gives more options for whereto place the scope and rings to get the eye relief I want. The small boost in rigidity, especially for the longer action doesn't hurt either. The biggest downside is loading, which can be solved by a detachable magazine. Trying to top load can be a real PITA with a full length rail.

That's the thing with the one piece is blocking the action. And I have those big fingers too
Now the magazine may be an option for this gun but they are ,what,400 bucks?
The eye relief argument holds true if you get a shorter scope,less length to move back and forth. But if you get a longer tube scope you should be able to get the eye relief you need.
Maybe I'll need to get the 2 piece as I think I have a one piece in my shop.Then if the scope I find needs the one piece I'll use it.I do think I'll try 2 piece just for the loading room
Thanks

I've got a Mk4 mounted with DNZ Hunt Master rings. This rifle was my first experience with both and I couldn't be happier. But then again I'm not super tactical and this scope doesn't ever leave the gun.

835ea6689e.jpg

Im confused..you are deciding between a leupold or vortex becuase u like the vortex lifetime warranty? Leupold started the lifetime warranty program on their gold ring scopes and they still back their scopes for the lifetime of the scope.

Go with Leupold. USA manufactured, designed and assembled.

The big difference is Vortex will replace their scope if you run over it,dog eats it you drop it
I don't tend to run over my guns,for that matter I don't tend to drop them either
But Vortex is in the running,just seeing if others have used them and if the equal priced scopes are equal glass
Hopefully the local Vortex dealer will get in what I want to look at so I can compare to my VX III
I'm hours away from real sporting good stores

Designed and mostly assembled, yes. They do NOT manufacture the scopes here. The glass comes from L.O.W. in Japan. Most of the tubes and all the erector sets come from some other Asian mfgs.

You must be listening to the vortex rep ;)

I know for a fact they make their own tubes from bar stock, because I have seen them doing it during a factory tour.

I can't speak to the erector set however. And as their website states they do get their glass from outside the USA because no U.S. manufacture can supply the quantity and quality of glass they require.

this my 2 cents actual buck fity with inflation

lifetime means being around a lifetime and then some . Talked to a guy at a range who inherited his grandfathers leupold . He fell on it while hunting and took it to leupold and they fixed it. Vortex is the new kid on the block they hit the mark with some outstanding scopes at a fair price and I am sure they will be around long enough to honor their lifetime warrantee. But leupold has proving it over and over how great their product is how great their warrantee is and they have been around a longer longer than most of us and that only happens by putting out a top tier product.

as far as mounts go as 1 pc vs 2 pc either way it comes down to the quality of the rings and mount. I learned in my early days shooting a 7mm magnum that screws do come loose on cheap rings and when that happens you loose a zero and you miss your target and that could be at the biggest Mule deer you have ever seen in your life.

the nice thing about a quality 1 pc is you should not have to lap it which means better contact to your scope body and proper alignment from front to rear ring less stress put on the scope. and less screws to come loose .

2 pc quality rings that are machined together as a set you will accomplish the same but you will still have the extra screws but with the higher end rings the quality of screws are far better and properly torqued and a little lock tite they should never loosen up

Now you can make mid priced rings do about the same just by lapping the rings and using lock tite on the screws which is fine for most general usage. but the better the quality the less ammo you'll spend on readjusting your zero from time to time .

they do get their glass from outside the USA because no U.S. manufacture can supply the quantity and quality of glass they require.

And you listened to the Leupold Rep;)

The only one who sources SOME of their glass from the states, is US Optics. Quality isn't the issue, price is.
I'm sure they make some tubes, why I said most. But they at least USED to import many as well; from different sources. The multiple sources is one of the reasons why several of the MK 4 scopes can't have different turrets installed/swapped by them. They are built with different specs from different places.

Not a dig against Leupy, they sell a fine product. Marketing can.... massage the truth sometimes:)

And you listened to the Leupold Rep;)

The only one who sources SOME of their glass from the states, is US Optics. Quality isn't the issue, price is.
I'm sure they make some tubes, why I said most. But they at least USED to import many as well; from different sources. The multiple sources is one of the reasons why several of the MK 4 scopes can't have different turrets installed/swapped by them. They are built with different specs from different places.

Not a dig against Leupy, they sell a fine product. Marketing can.... massage the truth sometimes:)

the reason is that different magnifications result in a different EFL (efective focal length). this results in adjustments that will track differently in different scopes. if adjustment A tracks .25 MOA in a 4.5-14, it may track .18 MOA in a 6.5-20 as an example. thus why while they may have a style of adjustment, say M1 in their case, they have multiple different adjustments in that serise so that they will track properly with the magnification and scope they are installed in. all the parts are not interchangable with the same result, and there are many different factors that control that. i have spent countless hours on the phone with leupold with the same questions and they have helped me to better understand how the internals work in relation to one another.

I put this in the matching scope with gun thread.
I went over to Long Rang Hunting forum to see what the guys over there had to say about scopes.
MAN O MAN ,1 guy will tell you he has both leupold VX4 and NF,the next will tell you that luppy isn't even in the same league as NF,next will say there ain't enough difference for the 1k price of the NF
And the best is the guys that say the others wouldn't know good glass if it hit them in the eye socket
I came away remembering what I decided about high priced stuff long ago.
if a guy spends 20% more for any product than the supposed next best thing,he's gunna say it is WAY better.
He has to justify to himself that is was worth the price.
As far as the Vortex? Don't bother starting a thread,no one will respond,lol
There is a perfect Leupold VX4 that retails around the 1400 mark I will try when the funds are available (next spring)

XV4? I don't believe they make a VX4...yet. You mean VX6? The VX6 is the top of the line Leupold and it's very nice. I did a top end side by side comparision between a VX-6 to a Zeiss Victory. While the Victory was slightly brighter (according to both my eyes and my buddy's) than the Leupold, I went with the VX-6 because it was just as nice at a fraction of the price.

XV4? I don't believe they make a VX4...yet. You mean VX6? The VX6 is the top of the line Leupold and it's very nice. I did a top end side by side comparision between a VX-6 to a Zeiss Victory. While the Victory was slightly brighter (according to both my eyes and my buddy's) than the Leupold, I went with the VX-6 because it was just as nice at a fraction of the price.

Correctomundo
<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews