JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I noticed a couple of weird looking stains inside the action of my 2 months old Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed (308 Win). I purchased the rifle brand new at Cabela's on March 13, 2021 (I guess "13" in the purchase date brought me a bad luck. I took some close up pictures of these weird stains and could not see any structural problems. Moreover, the rifle works smoothly and shoots accurately. However, I took pictures of these stains with a scope on the rifle, so the images were not that good to make a final judgment. Thus, this evening I removed the scope and took better pictures from a different angle. I now can see that my rifle is cracked in two directions just behind bolt lugs (not a place to have any structural issue with rifle action). I attached a high-res image. Now I have to send the rifle back to Browning to have the receiver replaced or whole rifle replaced. I do not believe that this cracks could be fixed without replacing the whole action.

X-Bolt#3.jpg

Yikes, I am sure they will be happy to replace the rifle. I am also sure members here will tell you to keep shooting it. Both sides of the coin are represented on NWFA. Be happy you noticed if it is a crack.

I already got a reply from Browning. They sent me a pre-paid UPS label as well as pre-filled service form. Thus, I am shipping the rifle back to Browning. I am crossing my fingers that it does not take too long for them to fix the issue.

Here is an update about my X-Bolt. I received a call from Browning service center yesterday. They told me that 2 gunsmiths carefully inspected the imperfections and they claim that these imperfections are not cracks, but just machining surface imperfections that do not affect neither safety nor functionality of the rifle. I am fine if that is the case, but I will insist on Browning Customer Service to email me a written statement about what they told me on the phone. As soon as I receive the rifle I will sell it, but I do not want to sell something that could be dangerous to anyone. Of course, I will fully disclose this issue to the future buyer. I personally do not have anything against Browning and their products, but I got 2 Browning rifles and both had some issues, so I guess Browning is not destined for me. Of course all companies these days produce few "bad apples" and this could had happened with any other of my rifles from other manufacturers.

I noticed a couple of weird looking stains inside the action of my 2 months old Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed (308 Win). I purchased the rifle brand new at Cabela's on March 13, 2021 (I guess "13" in the purchase date brought me a bad luck. I took some close up pictures of these weird stains and could not see any structural problems. Moreover, the rifle works smoothly and shoots accurately. However, I took pictures of these stains with a scope on the rifle, so the images were not that good to make a final judgment. Thus, this evening I removed the scope and took better pictures from a different angle. I now can see that my rifle is cracked in two directions just behind bolt lugs (not a place to have any structural issue with rifle action). I attached a high-res image. Now I have to send the rifle back to Browning to have the receiver replaced or whole rifle replaced. I do not believe that this cracks could be fixed without replacing the whole action.

View attachment 877194
I have the same thing on a brand new Mountain Pro 300 PRC. I noticed this while giving the gun its initial cleaning. I've already emailed Browning photos and waiting to hear back from them. I will be taking my gun to a local gunsmith for inspection. That way, if the gunsmith says it's cracked, I will tell Browning to send me a new rifle if they try and say it's tooling marks.

Let me be the first to say,,, JB-Weld...
Kidding.

I agree that judging by your photos it looks like a crack, however maybe the Browning guys are right. Lots of ways to learn the truth.

Crack test

Sad story. Years ago (shortly after the "A-bolt" was introduced) I was at the range, and a man down the line was shooting his brand new A-bolt when the bolt shroud (final piece on the rear of the bolt) cracked and fell apart. Factory loads.

Since then, I have been very interested in the reports of exceptional accuracy from the Browning bolt guns, I like the looks of them, and still lust for a Micro-Medallion in .284 Winchester.

But that incident at the range sticks in my memory.

Sad story. Years ago (shortly after the "A-bolt" was introduced) I was at the range, and a man down the line was shooting his brand new A-bolt when the bolt shroud (final piece on the rear of the bolt) cracked and fell apart. Factory loads.

Since then, I have been very interested in the reports of exceptional accuracy from the Browning bolt guns, I like the looks of them, and still lust for a Micro-Medallion in .284 Winchester.

But that incident at the range sticks in my memory.
Wow I have 2 a bolts both with boss one is a medallion in 308 the other a left hand stainless stalker 30-06. I have had 0 issues with and are super accurate

Unacceptable what Browning told you. Since when is a defect an "imperfection"? Imperfection is something you might pick up with a microscope, not defective crack like you have. Makes me wonder, is Browning walking the same pathway that Remington went? I hope not, but all the same glad my Brownings are older models.

Wow! While I've seen plenty of accurate a-bolt rifles, I've never seen an x-bolt shoot well in person. I did recall a video from some years back of major forearms company rifles having the barrel obstructed and how they reacted to such a thing. Browning's came completely apart and on the other end of the spectrum you had Sako who's barrels bulged a little. You can look it up on YouTube

Wow! While I've seen plenty of accurate a-bolt rifles, I've never seen an x-bolt shoot well in person. I did recall a video from some years back of major forearms company rifles having the barrel obstructed and how they reacted to such a thing. Browning's came completely apart and on the other end of the spectrum you had Sako who's barrels bulged a little. You can look it up on YouTube

1676317723609.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads