JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I live in a reasonably liberal neighborhood (I know of one registered Republican within a block, at least a couple dozen registered Democrats, and at least half a dozen "the Democrats aren't liberal enough" independents.) Yet I also have a large number of gun-friendly neighbors. I have open carried in my neighborhood (ironically, accidentally - I switched from my IWB to an OWB holster to investigate someone on my property with a chainsaw, deciding open carry was a good deterrent. Put my jacket on after, then went for a walk and took my jacket off immediately before leaving - forgot I was now open-carrying instead of concealed-carrying until I was half a block away. Talked to neighbors just like normal, including a couple of the "Dems aren't liberal enough" ones. (I was honestly worried that one of them would call the cops, so I was a little self-conscious, but figured I was already going, I'd finish my walk.)

I have at least a couple "good liberals" nearby that I know have violated certain of Portland's gun laws. (Although shooting a coyote that is menacing your animals is still legal even in the city, right? Right?)

I suppose the trick is not to wander random neighborhoods OCing an AR-15 - but to walk around your own neighborhood, where people know you, OCing a handgun. Once they've gotten used to you doing that, maybe move up to an M1 Garand... :p

Kind of my whole point. Given the current environment, the legislature may very well decide to put an end to this kind of thing. Just because it's legal doesn't really make it a good thing to do.

Hey, I once walked into a bank wearing a revolver in a western holster on my hip. Wasn't anything wrong with it at the time, but now it's illegal pretty much everywhere. Me and my mom couldn't figure out why everyone was eyballin us weird in the bank.

What makes you think it is illegal now? I open carry into our Well-Fargo every time I go there.

Someone needs to call the news stations and tell them that those guys did not have assault rifles. The anchors keep repeating that over and over again as if it were truth.

Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dummer and the traveling YouTube circus with special guest appearances by various LEOs. Does absolutely nothing to help the cause of protecting the 2A.

I am well aware of the OC laws. That said, if two guys with AR's were walking down the street towards my house where my wife and son were, I would be alarmed. I would have no way of knowing if they were law abiding citizens exercising their 2nd Amendment rights, or if they were a couple of wacko's looking to do harm.
On the side of caution for my family's safety, they would be in my sights.
Sorry, my family's safety takes priority over your activist actions.

What makes you think it is illegal now? I open carry into our Well-Fargo every time I go there.

It sure would be nice if you at least acknowledged that what plays out in the sticks of Washington won't play the same in the 'big city'. We don't have 40 mile round trips to the drug store here and ride around roping steers. It's a different world like it or not. Open carry scares the crap out of people in downtown Portland and they call 911 just like they did this time.

This has been on my mind for a bit and was verified by addresses given in the 911 calls. Two sketchy looking 22 year olds with black rifles and handguns are walking right by a busy daycare within a few blocks of a middle school in a quiet neighborhood like Sellwood after recent events which we've all been talking about with friends, relatives and strangers for weeks now. Am I missing something? There's educating and then there's sending people into a GD panic (which it looks like this fellow has enjoyed doing). For those that don't mind such things, be glad for your own childrens' sake that there are those who do. This is not normal or reasonable behavior and it won't be until we make it such.

I've already read too much about this fellow but his entire internet persona (mind you I've never had a beer with this dude and wouldn't want to if he behaves similarly at home) is devoted to being an insulting prick to others and recording himself instigating conflict with law enforcement.

I can envision a diverse group of my peers and myself shopping at Clackamas Town Center or Washington Square with ARs hanging casually from our shoulders, but it's not something I'd do tomorrow. Like I alluded to before, I'd approach it as an image campaign with the tact that it deserves considering the current climate.

There is a major difference between open carry of a rifle slung across your back calmly walking down the street and open carry with the rifle at the ready with hate or crazy in your eyes and in your actions.

I am grateful for these guys excercising their constitutional rights and protesting by open carry of their rifles. They were completely legal, they did nothing wrong, and the fearmongers among us overreacted as expected, including some ignorant gun owners.

More gun owners should protest by open carry of their rifles to help educate people and remove the fear of the evil black rifle. I say "good job" for these guys in their protest, they gained national media attention and they were within their legal right to openly carry their rifles. They were very effective with their protest.

Thanks to these two idiots, there are undoubtedly more people who may have either been "on the fence" or neutral on the Gun Control issue, now joining the calls for more restrictions.

Just because you can legally do something doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it.

Acts such as this in the current political climate where Oregon is facing gun control measures is not too smart. This may well lead to the legislature banning all open carry. Those who do practice open carry of handguns in Oregon can thank these guys for getting that right banned. Pick you battles and time them for when they will promote your position. This is not the time to be walking around with AR's. Very poor timing, and it just may cost you in the current political climate. IMHO

As has been stated, the life style of city dwellers is much different than the life style of the rural dwellers. it's unfortunate that the entire state is subject to the dictates of the three largest cities, Portland, Salem and Eugene. Like most of the 50 state if you eliminate the large cities, the states are conservative not liberal. It's unfortunate for us in the rural areas because most of the population is in the cities, we are forced to live according to their ideology.

For God sake, this is the kind of stunt that irritates me with some in the OC crowd. There is a time and place for everything. Carrying an AR or any "Assault Rifle" in public, at this point in time, just because you can is just asinine. People are on edge right now given the senseless murders carried out recently by cowards with AR-15's and other firearms. I'm sure not one person that is anti-gun had the urge to approach them and ask questions.

I would also like to add, when 911 gets flooded with calls about a man with a gun, people with real emergencies will have to wait as the dispatcher and the first responders are tied up dealing with the current non-emergence calls.

Lefty.
guess 911 should start asking what is the man with a gun doing, nothing illegal about walking with a gun have a good day and call if they do something illegal

I am well aware of the OC laws. That said, if two guys with AR's were walking down the street towards my house where my wife and son were, I would be alarmed. I would have no way of knowing if they were law abiding citizens exercising their 2nd Amendment rights, or if they were a couple of wacko's looking to do harm.
On the side of caution for my family's safety, they would be in my sights.
Sorry, my family's safety takes priority over your activist actions.

^ this ^

You might be jauntily whistling Dixie and have a Cheshire Cat smile across your dumb face as you saunter with your OC AR, maybe its because you want to look approachable or maybe it's because you're really, really looking forward to shooting every woman and child in that Fred Meyer. I'm not as telepathic as I'd ideally like to be so why should I take the chance you are a good guy ?
"What officer ? Two guys with rifles just shot up the housewares department ? That's crazy, I just saw those two guys a half ago ago and they looked so happy..."

We keep hearing how people saw signs that something was "not right" with Lanza and Holmes, but no one did or said anything before the murders.

Maybe these attention seeking gentleman bear closer examination

guess 911 should start asking what is the man with a gun doing, nothing illegal about walking with a gun have a good day and call if they do something illegal

Are you serious? Do you really want someone in a 911 call center that is nowhere near where the situation is calling the shoots? Maybe he/she could help the Fire Department or EMT's as well by questioning the caller? "Are you sure they are having a heart attack? Just because they are clinching their chest and barely breathing doesn't mean it's a heart attack, could just be heart burn. If you see them turning blue, call us back."

The cowards that are responsible for the recent mass murder/shootings are white males, early 20's, using AR-15's. People were hiding from these two out of fear not going to them for an education. As far as i'm concerned, these guys are just looking for attention and i regret giving it to them.

Lefty.

Are you serious? Do you really want someone in a 911 call center that is nowhere near where the situation is calling the shoots? Maybe he/she could help the Fire Department or EMT's as well by questioning the caller? "Are you sure they are having a heart attack? Just because they are clinching their chest and barely breathing doesn't mean it's a heart attack, could just be heart burn. If you see them turning blue, call us back."

The cowards that are responsible for the recent mass murder/shootings are white males, early 20's, using AR-15's. People were hiding from these two out of fear not going to them for an education. As far as i'm concerned, these guys are just looking for attention and i regret giving it to them.

Lefty.

so your the kind of person that see's someone open carrying and call the cop's and tell's them there's a man with a gun, glad you came out of the closet and showed your true colors

I support their right to walk around with their AR-15's in the same way I support their right to walk around wearing nothing but pink leather jock straps. In other words...Im glad we live in a free country where open carry is legal but I think what they are doing is stupid, insensitive, and counterproductive towards advancing the cause of 2nd amendment rights. At the very least, if their goal is to make a political statement then they should also carry large signs explaining that fact so that people will at least understand what they are doing rather than getting scared and wasting valuable police resources with unecessary 911 calls.

so your the kind of person that see's someone open carrying and call the cop's and tell's them there's a man with a gun, glad you came out of the closet and showed your true colors

Do you have school age children?

Taking into consideration recent events....do you truly expect that the sight of a man with an AR-15 walking near a school or a mall will not warrant some sort of police response?

If you had just dropped your children off at school or at a mall and then spotted a man with an AR-15 walking towards them, would you really just drive away and think to yourself "good for him for upholding his 2nd amendment rights"?

There is a huge difference between openly carrying a handgun holstered on one's belt and openly carrying an AR-15 on one's back at a location where there is no legitimate reason to be carrying one.

Once again, are you serious? If i haven't made my feelings on this subject clear in this thread you and i can debate via PM.

Lefty.

Thanks to these two idiots, there are undoubtedly more people who may have either been "on the fence" or neutral on the Gun Control issue, now joining the calls for more restrictions.

Just because you can legally do something doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it.

Yes. I'm expecting a tough road this legislative session and would like to avoid digging our own potholes.

I'm hoping this isn't a pyrrhic victory.

Do you have school age children?

Taking into consideration recent events....do you truly expect that the sight of a man with an AR-15 walking near a school or a mall will not warrant some sort of police response?

If you had just dropped your children off at school or at a mall and then spotted a man with an AR-15 walking towards them, would you really just drive away and think to yourself "good for him for upholding his 2nd amendment rights"?

There is a huge difference between openly carrying a handgun holstered on one's belt and openly carrying an AR-15 on one's back at a location where there is no legitimate reason to be carrying one.

why is there a huge difference?
and no legitimate reason to be carrying one, where do they live and where is the range they shoot at? are you going to give them a ride so they can get there without carrying if they don't have a car?
Who said anything about a school?
I'm not saying these guys are smart but they do have a right to do what they were doing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top