JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

SS desert eagle 50cal or stripped desrt eagle 44cal

• SS desert eagle 50cal

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • stripped desert eagle 44cal

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
Personally, not a fan of tiger stripes on any firearm. But hey, if you like it, that is all that matters. :s0155:

I got a SS 50AE myself. I'd love to add a 44 and 357 to the herd.

How often do you get out and shoot 'em?

Personally, not a fan of tiger stripes on any firearm. But hey, if you like it, that is all that matters. :s0155:

I got a SS 50AE myself. I'd love to add a 44 and 357 to the herd.

How often do you get out and shoot 'em?
not often as i would like

How reliable do your DEs run? It seems like it is hit or miss. I wouldn't carry one for defense, but if I get a handgun, I like it to run reliably.

I normally don't like tiger stripe either, but the black tiger stripe looks good. I guess I only dislike the gold tiger stripe ones.

I always wanted a Desert Eagle but they are just too big and bulky. Last year they finally came out with a light weight L5 model in 50ae and I finally jumped and bought one. Love it! Found a great price on a 44 barrel that I couldn't pass up.

I wish they made a stainless version of the L5.

0128192159a.jpg

Last Edited:
Sorry not a DE fan.:eek: It is a novelty piece. Carry it in a case to take it to the range. Too big,
heavy and bulky to carry in a holster.:eek: I have seen several with reliability issues. Have you ever
shot one in 50 AE?:rolleyes: Nothing short of absolutely BRUTAL recoil.:eek::eek::eek:
upload_2019-3-9_4-1-5.jpeg

I owned one back in the 90's in 50 AE. Took a deer with it. Recoil wasn't much more than the 44, it was just expensive to shoot. I think most of the people who talk badly about them or the recoil, never owned one or have limited experience with them. I'll probably get one in 357 before long.

30 years ago I use to shot a lot of 44 mag in 4 inch and 6 inch revolvers. Not much anymore.
Maybe I have become too recoil sensitive. Too old.:mad: But to shoot one in full power 50 AE.:eek:Wow
I own a J frame AirLite 340 PD 357 and I thought it kicked bad.:confused::confused::confused:

Nice collection I like that desert eagle you got I heard their lighter

The Desert Eagle L5 is about a pound and a half lighter than a full sized Desert Eagle and it has a 5" barrel instead of the usual 6" barrel. All L5 models have integrated muzzle brakes. I really like the size of the L5. It has a bit bigger outline than the 1911 and Beretta 92 in the picture but it is also a good bit thicker. The L5 is considerably lighter than the Dan Wesson 744 with 8" barrel... it is even lighter then the 744 when the 744 is wearing its 4" barrel. The frame of the L5 is aluminum and the steel slide has considerable lightening cuts.

Before I bought my L5 in .50ae the only other DE I had shot was a full size DE 20 years ago or so... I think it was a 41 mag. I had no idea what to expect from a 50ae in such a light weight (compared to a full size) hand gun. The first shot I was hanging on for dear life as I didn't want the muzzle to come flying through my forehead.... pfft... I definitely knew Ihad shot a big gun but it wasn't punishing at all. The little DB9 in my picture is a MUCH more punishing gun to shoot. I have a long hand and the DE has a very fat grip (but slightly smaller than the full size DE) and the fat grip does a really nice job of spreading the recoil out over the area of my hand instead of concentrating the recoil right in the center of my hand. The revolver in the picture is an 8" Dan Wesson in 44 mag with a muzzle brake... it is much more punishing than the DE L5! The semi auto action of a DE really does take a lot of the sting out of firing a big round. I use some wimpy handloads in the Dan Wesson when I have the 4" barrel on it which makes it a comfortable shooter... but the wimpy loads won't cycle the DE. The Dan Wesson really has too small of a grip for me... it is comparable to the grip on a 629. The DW came with a pachmeyer grip and I put the hogue grip on it. Some day I will make a big wooden grip for the DW that suits my hand better.

A little while after purchasing my DE I found a guy selling a 5" .44 mag barrel with a magazine as he decided he wanted to upgrade to a 50ae. Shooting 50ae and 44 mag one right after the other I can't tell much difference at all in the recoil. If someone handed me the L5 and didn't tell me which load was in it I don't think I would be able to guess which load it was by shooting the gun.

The L5 with the 50ae barrel has its "Wow" factor but my L5 usually wears the 44 mag barrel mainly because 44 mag components are considerably cheaper making for cheaper reloads. I really like the size and weight of the L5 and too me it is more packable than a 44 revolver. Like all DE's the L5 does like to be clean and starts to act up after a few hundred rounds (The slide starts to not fully return to battery and takes a thumb to push the slide the last 1/8" of the way closed). A quality revolver on the other hand will continue to function after a lot of build up... which to me makes it a bit more practical than the DE for packing in grizzly country.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads