JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
being this is a straight 6 and you have consecutive cylinders dead you could have a bad headgasket, cracked cylinder wall between the two is probably the most probable cause. not to say that is what is going on but its more common than a broken connecting rod

what i would do is take 5 and 6 spark plug out, fill 5 with water and spray air into 6 look for bubbles in 5.

being this is a straight 6 and you have consecutive cylinders dead you have:

a bad headgasket, cracked cylinder wall between the two is probably the most probable cause. not to say that is what is going on but its more common than a broken connecting rod

what i would do is take 5 and 6 spark plug out, fill 5 with water and spray air into 6 look for bubbles in 5.
Did all that. 5 and 6 are not consecutive, 3 is between them. But have a common intake runner. And no it was not a intake leak.

I would suspect a blown head gasket, too. If not all plugs are removed during a compression test, especially the ones in the "dead" cylinder, a false reading may occur. If compression is good, it could be a vacuum leak at the shared intake port.
Kinda weird. A flat lobe on the exhaust will still usually show compression in that cylinder and when running, will pop thru the carb under acceleration.

head gasket was good. all the plugs were out for tests. 125psi for all one on stroke. 150psi after 2 strokes. Intake leak looked for early on in this struggle. Spark plugs were only 3 weeks old, replaced the 2 just to cover my self. wires were good. Put on a new set as I was running out of ideas. cap and rotor replaced as they were 15 years old. Then a new distributer. The I pulled the head to look around. No washed out spot or other signs of blown gasket. The engine was not using coolant, no white smoke, not over heating. no 7-up bubbles in the radiator when running. assembled and set valves with engine not running. then reset 5 and 6 with the engine running. No, I and 2 others did not notice 5 exhaust. Its has only lost maybe a 1/4 of its lift. Earlier when pulling wires to locate dead cylinders, 5 was firing a little. 6 was completely dead. Also rotated crank forward and back to check cam gear wear, a little but not bad.
That's when I had enough and pulled it out.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top