JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Wow.....angry thread.

Fred Meyer is union by store and by department. A store may have union meat-cutters and non-union cashiers under the same roof. Some stores are all union and some are not.

That is up to each group of employees within a department, within a store to decide that as a group on what is the best direction for them to take.

It's disheartening to hear that some of you would stop patronizing Fred Meyer for giving their associates a choice and patronize another establishment for tactics that have been shown to be anti-union across the board.

I suspect that Safeway, Albertsons, Target, Fred Meyer, etc....probably didn't promote unionization such as Walmart does. They just didn't go to the extremes that Walmart did to prevent it.

Everyone can shop where they want to based on their beliefs, but it is sad to hear some of you boycotting your union neighbors for doing what they thought is best for their families.

Oh....by the way I'm not in a union.

Back to the original topic.

I think most reasonable people understand the intent of the sign and that is a poor reason to call them out as "traitors" IMHO.

If you choose to not shop them (as I generally do), find more valid reasons.

Well, since we've already deteriorated into foolishness, and since some of you were rude enough to bring up politics outside of the political forum, I'll tell you my trade politics: I prefer goods made overseas.

And the original poster doesn't understand the word "traitor".

I have stood in a Walmart orientation meeting for 20+ new employees that were given food stamp applications in their orientation packets. I fail to see how any conservative could approve of a company intentionally using welfare programs to subsidize their workforce instead of offering their workers living wages. This was not one rogue store. I argued against this practice with regional management at the time. They thought it was hilarious that I even cared.

Personally, I consistantly get better service in union retail stores. I am more than willing to pay very slightly higher prices for better products, service, and cleaner stores. Sometimes we hit rough spots in life and we need to save every penny. Nothing wrong with doing so. For myself, at this time, the tiny price difference is worth the superior service I get. I tend to be a sale/bulk shopper, so I only really pay a difference on the occasional perishable things I want to buy in small amounts whether it's on sale or not.

Unions can easily get out of control. So can greedy executives and stock holders. Sometimes things in a company tilt one way or another. Take Hostess, where the CEO tripled his wage, gave the other executives an average of 40% pay raises, and then tried to cut the union's wages (I don't blame that union one bit). Take Walmart, which intentionally uses the welfare system to subsidize its workforce.

In many construction projects Union crews consistantly beat nonunion crews for cost, despite higher wages. Medical facilities are one of these. When I'm involved in opening new medical practices, it's very rare that a bid from a nonunion outfit even meets the qualifications to successfully perform the project. Those union guys not only work just as hard, but they are nearly always far higher skilled, and therefore faster. It's not a perfect rule, there will always be exceptions. In general though, the more complex the construction project, the more cost effective the union crews are.

I have stood in a Walmart orientation meeting for 20+ new employees that were given food stamp applications in their orientation packets. I fail to see how any conservative could approve of a company intentionally using welfare programs to subsidize their workforce instead of offering their workers living wages. This was not one rogue store. I argued against this practice with regional management at the time. They thought it was hilarious that I even cared.

Personally, I consistantly get better service in union retail stores. I am more than willing to pay very slightly higher prices for better products, service, and cleaner stores. Sometimes we hit rough spots in life and we need to save every penny. Nothing wrong with doing so. For myself, at this time, the tiny price difference is worth the superior service I get. I tend to be a sale/bulk shopper, so I only really pay a difference on the occasional perishable things I want to buy in small amounts whether it's on sale or not.

Unions can easily get out of control. So can greedy executives and stock holders. Sometimes things in a company tilt one way or another. Take Hostess, where the CEO tripled his wage, gave the other executives an average of 40% pay raises, and then tried to cut the union's wages (I don't blame that union one bit). Take Walmart, which intentionally uses the welfare system to subsidize its workforce.

In many construction projects Union crews consistantly beat nonunion crews for cost, despite higher wages. Medical facilities are one of these. When I'm involved in opening new medical practices, it's very rare that a bid from a nonunion outfit even meets the qualifications to successfully perform the project. Those union guys not only work just as hard, but they are nearly always far higher skilled, and therefore faster. It's not a perfect rule, there will always be exceptions. In general though, the more complex the construction project, the more cost effective the union crews are.

Maybe in the medical field, but the 2 union jobs ive had, fellow employees hide behind the union protection, and do anything they can to get the job done half assed, SLOWER THE BETTER! PAID BY THE HOUR! is the way of the union workers life.

I now work in construction. Union jobs are always behind, unorganized, and cost a LOT more in the end, not to mention the 5x longer to complete.

There is give and take with any point you can make. There will never be a better way or answer, because both are highly flawed, corrupt, and damaged by government interference, because people wont take responsibility for themselves. THAT simple. Truly is. Nothing but dishonestly these days, seems like moral values arent even understood...

Anyways... Vote with your dollar ;) Seeing most the country was to lazy to vote for their president....

OH YEAH, one more side note.... The beloved UNION Fred Meyers pulls the same BS with hand outs.... I watched an un-trained employee get paid more then me, *I having extensive experience in the department/job*, AND he got food stamps, clothing allowance(from fred meyers), and many more benefits because he was a 'minority'. This corruption isnt Non-Union, it is nationwide, in every chain store.

Well, since we've already deteriorated into foolishness, and since some of you were rude enough to bring up politics outside of the political forum, I'll tell you my trade politics: I prefer goods made overseas.

And the original poster doesn't understand the word "traitor".

I almost "Like" this post. I prefer local made instead of overseas!

something i have been wondering for a couple days now............if shopping at walmart makes we fellow 2A supporters traitors, pauly, why were you shopping at walmart? you hypocrite!

Maybe he was planning on shopping there before he saw the sign. Pauly is a great guy and an asset to the forum. (Best polish job on Saiga 12s you can get, if he still does that work).

When I think of Pauly, I see him holding that "I Buy Guns - legal" next to one of those awful PDX police gun-grab 'buy backs." Funny!

and

Yes, yes I do.
I own my own business, you just work for one. So I think I understand a bit more about investments, payroll, expansion and where my money is going than yourself sir. I don't have to negotiate with anyone for anything.
Do you play a part in running UPS..as in making financial decisions? Do you keep a close eye on their current gains and losses?.. I'll give UPS credit since they are from the private sector and yes they are a profitable company so kudos to them! I in no way give any credit to unions for UPS's success. Because they don't actually do anything. The employees do. The unions greedy little fingers like to get into everything.. Like I said, the unions more often than not help the employee.. but do in fact drain the company over time. Little by little. And honestly man.. if you don't understand what a hyperbole is.. than your union provided UPS ride along tutors should help you figure it out. But it did get your attention didn't it? :s0155:
Your "teamsters" are extortionists.

Onto the next point..

It is funny you bring that up.. So then, you eat up and believe everything your union tells you?
You do know unions are in the liberals back pockets right? Or should I say vise-versa.. Not sure.. Perhaps you could tell me.. Check your union pamphlet and let me know.
Am I right wing? Eh, I agree more with the right than I ever will with the left.. so yeah I guess you could call me that. I'm a white non religious, pro-firearm, pro-private sector and I believe in small government.
I'm home grown American Patiot.. or as we're now known now as "terrorists".

Have you ever been a union member?

Have you ever worked in a union shop?

Have you ever managed a union shop or negotiated a labor agreement with your employees?

The fact that you happen to own your own business doesnt change the fact that, when it comes to unions, you dont know what the hell you are talking about.

Union are to protect the workers from crooked owners. Owners who try to get there workers to work free. Theres alot of that in the construction industry. But at the same time Union workers need to work hard to make there employer $$ Goes both ways. Theres also Union who don't do crap. They are only good for the big industries. Theres also big companies who aren't Union but they take take of there ppl. There alot less of them. Ppl just don't like Walmart because they have shady practices and are the richest retailer

Not all unions are bad. I'm sure some do good things for their workers. But the bottom line is that when the general public hears the word union, they no longer think about protecting the workers from hostile work environments and oppressive corporations. They think of this:

Chrysler workers canned for drinking on the job reinstated | Fox News

Seems like some unions, like most organizations, could use a little house cleaning...

There isn't a question that there are very good workers in unions and outside of unions just as there are poor workers in and outside of unions. However, unions certainly have developed a reputation for protecting workers that should have been let go long ago. In addition unions have developed a reputation for illegal trespass, destruction of property, intimidation and blackmail. I've personally witnessed union members: smashing vehicle windows, slashing tires, committing arson, destroying company and personal property and more. If unions had continued to stand for worker rights using common sense and a standard of morality, then I would still support them. What I have seen however, is that unions members have long ago crossed the line into behaviors that will never be accepted by decent Americans.

The fact that you happen to own your own business doesnt change the fact that, when it comes to unions, you dont know what the hell you are talking about.

Soberups.... Your comments were not directed towards me, but if I may, I will respond to some of them from a perspective that perhaps you may not have encountered. For several years, I was employed by a corporate risk management and investigative consulting firm.
Many of our clients were Fortune 500 firms throughout the lower 48, among them, airlines, heavy truck and equipment manufacturers, newspapers, mining companies, utility and waste companies, grocery chains, tire manufacturers (sorry, I can't name their specific names) and so on. All of these actively involved in contract negotiations with unions, such as the Teamsters, machinists, steel workers, aerospace mechanics, grocery (UFCW), AFLCIO affiliates, and the list goes on. Often negotiations would deteriorate into strikes, threats, intimidation, vandalism, assault and even arson. You, working in a generally sedate part of the country, may not have seen this happen, but I can assure you it does occur and often in the presence and with the approval of union officials. This is the true definition of "union thug", I have been there, recovered the evidence, and testified to it in NLRB hearings.

Sadly, the rank and file union member often remains uninformed about the goings on in labor negotiations, especially by their own unions. Case in point...a few years ago a simultaneous strike occured over health benefits in a very large city to the South of us against a number of mega-chain stores, which went on for several months. The end result, as the strike funds became depleated, much of the membership had to find other jobs, the survivors being told by their own union that they had "won the battle". The untold truth however was that they ended up signing on a less generous package than what was originally offered.

I have also seen time and again client production and efficiency go up during strikes when using replacement workers (or "scabs" as those on the strike line call them). I have witnessed union members turn on their "own" and assault members who "cross the line" when they can no longer hold on financially and return to work during a strike. Here you see unions at their ugliest, not only attacking fellow workers, but threatening their wives and children as well, following them to school as a terror tactic.

Not to cast all union workers as slackers, but from my years of observation all over the country, I think the problem is more profound than many are willing to admit. Strange, as the hard working population in the unions would stand as much to gain by helping change things from within.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top