Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

2/9 practical rifle

Discussion in 'Competitive Shooting' started by jfw, Jan 30, 2013.

1. jfw

jfw Clackamas county Active Member

Just checking to see if anyone here is going to TCGC practical rifle on 02/09.

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

I might go just to watch for a while. Never shot at a range over 100 yards. They don't have a pre-orientation for this one, but they have one the day before (Fri 2-5pm) for the one in March.

Hard for a LD newb to prepare for something like this when you can't use the AR action range or have anywhere to shoot w/ movement out to 200y or so. Maybe the close quarters rifle event would be better for a first timer.

3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I might enjoy that. Is there any membership requirement? Parking? What hrs. And can one sit while viewing (bad knee)?

4. jfw

jfw Clackamas county Active Member

Non members are welcome.
    It's 9 am to 4 pm on sat. Kinda of a big gravel pit so no sitting area unless you bring a chair.

5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

jfw, thanks for the info!

6. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

In what range will this be held?

7. SensibleHeat

SensibleHeat United States New Member

Tri County Gun Club

8. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

What range in TCGC? There are several ranges there. Only two I know have 200yd are: backpowder/rimfire & 200/300/600yd.

Perhaps I should ask, can anyone describe what the TCGC "Practical Rifle" is like?

9. Smiddy

Smiddy Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Youtube has a number of video's. Its not on the range. It takes place in the TCGC rock quarry and has a number of stages that showcase several skills, standing, kneeling, sitting, prone, from ranges of point blank to 200 yards and engaging multiple targets at various elevations.

10. drlove

drlove Hillsboro Member

Do I have to attend the orientation thing on Friday?

11. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

This month is the sniper match.

12. Smiddy

Smiddy Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Sniper match is super fun! ...if you have the glass. If you dont have a BDC or mildot or some other cool reticle for on the fly shot correction its tough to do well. You wont have time to dial in shots and do well. Ranges are from 150 to 500 yards and tackle multiple ipsc size targets at multiple ranges to very small targets like golf balls or small steel or whatever. Good luck fellas!

13. drlove

drlove Hillsboro Member

so stupid question but do you still need to go on Friday or can I just go on Sat?

14. Armchair Operator

Armchair Operator Beaverton Active Member

Here's the email from Randy regarding the February PR Match:

The February 9th Practical Rifle match is our annual Sniper match. It will start at the 200/300 range at 930am with a mandatory safety briefing. If you show up late you cannot enter the match. We will be using the 200/300 range, the Action Rifle range and the big pit.

Entry is $15. The normal Friday Orientation will not occur this Friday and is not required for the Sniper match. Rifle cases and chamber flags are required. Guns may not be removed from cases and cases can not be opened at any time unless told to by a stage range officer or at a designated safety table. Round count is about 40 but I'd bring extra in case you miss.

This years match will probably be shorter and simpler than previous matches. There won't be a lot of movement but you should expect to load your rifle with loose rounds under time pressure.

Sorry, but no magnum calibers or steel core ammo allowed to save our steel targets. Please check your bullets for steel by seeing if a magnet attracts them.

See you at the (200/300) range!