JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at 2-10 scopes for my 16" AR-15. Considering the 2-10x36 Trijicon Credo as it has a lot of features I like, the reticle, glass clarity, weight, and price. It does not have a parallax adjustment though. Is it needed for shots out to 600 meters.

Why not a 1-6 or 1-8 out of curiosity?

I wouldn't be too concerned with the parallax at that range as you can easily put rounds on a silhouette target with a simple red dot at 500-600 meters.

Having had scopes without adjustable parallax, I'd say it's a huge plus with it.

Why not a 1-6 or 1-8 out of curiosity?

I wouldn't be too concerned with the parallax at that range as you can easily put rounds on a silhouette target with a simple red dot at 500-600 meters.
So my reasons for wanting a 2-10 are as follows.

1. I own two AR's a high quality Centurion 13.9" pin and weld, and a BCM 16" Midlength. Currently the 13.9" has a 1-6x24 Trijicon Credo which I love and I really like on that rifle. I'd like the 16" build to offer some additional capability and something different than my 13.9" build.

2. Having 1-6's on both feels kinda samey and redundant. Not that it's bad just if i'm gonna spend the money might as well have some variety and be able to do some different things.

3. 1-8's are cool but good ones are significantly more expensive and often require bigger mounts as they are usually 34mm scopes. I currently have a spare 30mm scope mount that I can use.

4. The Credo 2-10 has a cool Christmas tree style reticle with wind holds and I kinda want that on my 16" for ease of use at range.

Might not be relevant reasons for others but it's where my headspace is at right now. Subject to change.

Last Edited:
So my reasons for wanting a 2-10 are as follows.

1. I own two AR's a high quality Centurion 13.9" pin and weld, and a BCM 16" Midlength. Currently the 13.9" has a 1-6x24 Trijicon Credo which I love and I really like on that rifle. I'd like the 16" build to offer some additional capability and something different than my 13.9" build.

2. Having 1-6's on both feels kinda samey and redundant. Not that it's bad just if i'm gonna spend the money might as well have some variety and be able to do some different things.

3. 1-8's are cool but good ones are significantly more expensive and often require bigger mounts as they are usually 34mm scopes. I currently have a spare 30mm scope mount that I can use.

4. The Credo 2-10 has a cool Christmas tree style reticle with wind holds and I kinda want that on my 16" for ease of use at range.

Might not be relevant reasons for others but it's where my headspace is at right now. Subject to change.
I guess it really depends on the mission set behind the rifle. If it was me I'd run the 1-6 on the 16" AR and a Eotech or Aimpoint red dot on the 13.9" best of both worlds without going the SBR route.

I ran with a Red Dot on my 14.7" for a bit but am afflicted with can't see chit.
I had a PA 1-8 that was mounted so wound up putting that on for now.
Turned it into a fatty but I can see what I'm shooting at.

Primary Arms is taking pre-orders for the new SLx 5x micro for $400, 8.5 oz.
If they release one in a GLx I'll like it even better and would pay more for something not made in friggin china.

I put the 2.5-10x42 on my 18" rifle, tried a 4-16x50 first but that's a big fat nope.
The NF had what I was looking for in that magnification range so I went with that.

SWFA has a nifty little 2-10x30 with a 1" tube, 9.5oz for $265. Made in Japan.
Backordered though, but what isn't these days.

My 14.7" was using a PA 1-8 and I have been leaning towards an NX8 1-8 to replace it but that's not happening for a while.
Since I use this rifle the most I mounted the NXS on it, so far I like it and will most likely leave it.
A bit longer than the PA 1-8 and is just 1 oz heavier using a 1.93" NF mount. The 1-8 is on a 1.6" Swampfox mount.

I like the SFP better on this rifle where it's on 2.5 to start with.
I adjusted the parallax to 100 and 50 yds, marked it and start it at 50.
A nice clear image at 2.5 power with both eyes open seems to work well for me at the 50 yd range.
Being cross eyed dominate it works better on the left side, I can make it work on the right for a little bit then my eye spazes out and I go to squinty mode.

Quite Happy with my Vortex PST II 2-10x32. I like shooting 100 - 300 yds and this works perfectly. It will go out further, but I have other options for that I prefer more. That said, while it's also good at 20 yds, this scope It's not a good choice for CQB situations. 1-6 would be better for that.

Looking at 2-10 scopes for my 16" AR-15. Considering the 2-10x36 Trijicon Credo as it has a lot of features I like, the reticle, glass clarity, weight, and price. It does not have a parallax adjustment though. Is it needed for shots out to 600 meters.
For rapid engagement at various distances between 1 - 600 meters parallax adjustment won't come into play as you don't have time to adjust between targets. Now I would rather have it and not use it when situations dictated than not have it and wish I did. I think you are spot on going with a christmas tree reticle.

My current favorite setup for a do it all/spr style platform is a Leupold Mark5 2-10 with an offset red dot. My understanding is that Leupold will be dropping a christmas tree style reticle in this platform very soon, likely on/around shot show. Another great optic to consider would be a Nightforce NX8 with Mil-XT reticle in the 2.5 - 20 magnification range. Used ones can be picked up off various forums for $1,300 - $1,400 and Nightforce has the same transferable lifetime warranty like Leupold so you don't have to worry about buying a used turd and being SOL. The Nightforce NX8 would be much more inline with an SPR setup and not sure that is what your going for.

Like others have alluded to, an LPVO in 1-8 or 1-10 might be a better choice if your going to forego getting parallax on a 2-10. I have no issues getting consistent impacts with an LPVO 1-8 and 1-10 out to 600 meters. One optic is on a 12.7" SBR and the other a Bren 2 16". Now I am not shooting for groups, just impacts on a B-Mod size steel target. In prone, slow fire I rarely have a miss with either of these setups at 600 meters and neither has parallax adjustment. You can also negate the lack of parallax with consistent, repeatable cheek weld/eye alignment but to what degree is dependent on consistency.

LPVOs either have great low end and meh high end or great high and mediocre 1X... because physics. When an LPVO has a 10x max mag, that magnification level is often paired with a nasty unforgiving eyebox or brightness issues. Plus they're heavy, often weighing 30+ ounces with a good mount (featherweight mounts are toys).

A 2-10 or 2-12 solves many of the problems that are inherent in LPVOs and still remains very usable at closer ranges. A piggybacked dot and an MPVO is a very nice setup; good eyebox throughout the magnification range, similar or lighter weight, and better light transmission and FOV.

As far as adjustable parallax goes, it's absolutely necessary over 10x and its absence is noticeable when engaging targets at distance without a perfect cheekweld and an eye not directly centered.

At 600 meters (656 yards) I'd rather spend the money on more barrel than another scope. An 18 or 20 inch 1/7 or 1/8 with a Wylde chamber will help your accuracy more than a couple more numbers of magnification.

Quite Happy with my Vortex PST II 2-10x32. I like shooting 100 - 300 yds and this works perfectly. It will go out further, but I have other options for that I prefer more. That said, while it's also good at 20 yds, this scope It's not a good choice for CQB situations. 1-6 would be better for that.
Agreed. I have the same scope that I use for 2-300 yards. 2-10 is appropriate for PRI uppers/Mk.12 clones.

I would not buy a 2-10 scope without a parallax adjustment.

At 600 meters (656 yards) I'd rather spend the money on more barrel than another scope. An 18 or 20 inch 1/7 or 1/8 with a Wylde chamber will help your accuracy more than a couple more numbers of magnification.
Please expand on this, I am curious to know what the additional 2-4 inches of barrel length provides outside of the added velocity.

A longer barrel doesn't increase accuracy unless you're relying on iron sights. A 16 inch 7.62 NATO barrel is just as accurate as an identical barrel that happens to be 20 inches long. Ballistically they'll be similar and velocity will be within a few hundred FPS. Once your DOPE is calculated, you can be a accurate with any barrel length (I'm talking "normal" length barrels that reliably impart bullet rotation).

A longer barrel doesn't increase accuracy unless you're relying on iron sights. A 16 inch 7.62 NATO barrel is just as accurate as an identical barrel that happens to be 20 inches long. Ballistically they'll be similar and velocity will be within a few hundred FPS. Once your DOPE is calculated, you can be a accurate with any barrel length (I'm talking "normal" length barrels that reliably impart bullet rotation).
True, but if you start with more velocity, you'll end with more velocity. Also, that extra little bit of oomph might be what it takes to make a handload perform properly. You can download a round to match velocities from a shorter barrel. It's tougher to push 'em faster from a short barrel.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top