JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looking for some input on my current inventory of the safe. For designated hunting rifles I'm currently sitting at:
MRC .300 Win topped with Leupold VX-6 3-18x50 "Extended" range/clear cut glassing rig
Husqvarna .30-'06 (needs scope) General/all purpose/do everything in any situation rifle
Kimber Hunter 84M 7mm-08 Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 Ultralight, long hike, smallish game intended/big game capable
Ruger .44 Carbine with Leupold VX-I 1-4x20 Close quarter, heavy hitting brush gun

For the '06 I can't decide which of these different scopes.
1) VX-3i 4.5-14x50 30mm CDS-ZL
2) VX-3i 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL
3) VX-3i 4.5-14x40 *no CDS*
4) VX-3i 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL
5) VX-Freedom 4-12x50 CDS firedot
6) VX-Freedom 4-12x40 CDS
7) VX-Freedom 4-12x40 *no CDS*
VX-Freedom 4-12x50 *no CDS*

BUUUT a couple thoughts I had...
Move the scope from the 7/08 to the '06 and buy a cheaper scope for the rifle I don't use as much?
Sell Kimber, look for something else. It's almost a one hole gun (see pic) A7F3DE84-54F6-4F8A-B6D1-6D8F260C1B27.jpeg when I shoot it on a lead sled but I don't seem to shoot it well in the field. Undoubtedly has the most atrocious hit:miss record of any of those 4. I have trust issues with it
But what to replace it with then? I'd prefer to stick with CRF actions and lightest weight would be M70 Featherweight-Thoughts?
Do I then stick with 7/08?
Or .280 Rem? .270 Win? .243 Win?
SO HELP ME GOD, IF ONE PERSON SUGGESTS 6.5 CREED, I'LL MAKE IT MY MISSION IN LIFE TO DEFAME EVERY ASPECT OF THAT CARTRIDGE LOL
Suck it up and learn to shoot the Kimber better? I really like most everything about that rifle but I just don't shoot it well or trust it...
Alright folks, lemme hear it!

I would presume you have already tried to improve your performance on the Kimber, shooting it offhand as you would in the field. If not, try to improve on that one.
Have someone video you while shooting. Have them first load a dummy round in the round box, so you don't know which one it is. What you do when firing a non-firing round is very telling.
You can also take it to a *wise* gunsmith who can look at you shouldering the gun and tell if it fits you.
You might also try to clamp one or two pounds onto the rifle just in front of the trigger, to see if that changes your shooting dynamics and improves your aim.

If it's anything like my light Ruger 7mm-08, it has stout recoil, probably more than the Husky.
Mine has the same Leupy VXII scope as your 7-08. It's a great scope -- not as good in low light, but awesome clarity and brightness in the day. The VX3i is much nicer, though.

If you have tried all of the above, to no avail, mistrust is a devastating thing -- sell it.

3)

The ultimate go everywhere do anything scope is a Leupold VX3 in 3.5-10x40. Mount it lower than a x50, keep it simple and light. 1" tube is still plenty for most of us to get the job done. You the the flexibility to use a lot of different bullets for the '06 without overcomplicating it.

I'm a big .270 person but if I had more time to reload I'd be tempted to roll with 7/08.

I got a savage 11 30-06 with a 3x9 Bushnell.

Works for everything i need for big game on the west/wet side.

AR works fine for yotes down to ground squirls.

Only thing I might need is something that is long range if I were to hunt out East.

I don't any top of the line scopes but I have had thepleasure of having several friends with top of the line Nightforce and Zeuss [sp] scopes and there is a difference.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top