JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally got some time and courage to do it on my own. I bought all this around christmas with sales going on.
It is alot easier then I thought. Just lots of little details that all make sense in the end.
Anyways.
Took out the 270 loads and some 06.
Here are couple of pics from the groups that the guns liked.
270 is a TC venture with 140 SST with Ramshot Hunter. I forgot the 270 is sighted in at 200 yards. target is at 100. So thats why they are high.

30/06 is a tikka T3 shooting 168 Ballistic silver tips with ramshot big game. I made a quick adjustment on on the scope to bring it down as I dint want to be dealing with the same thing as the 270 (high shots)

Seems like after I get up to the max loads and past, I didn't notice that much velocity gain, but it had noticeable gain in recoil and diminished accuracy.
Im going to tinker with these loads and seating depths. But, I have to say I am kind of content at this point.
The orange stickers I got from a paint store. perfect 1" circle and I can write my grain loads on it.
EDB45D0C-40BD-4BA8-A71D-2DE1547C47DC_zpsbwvcu92i.jpg

F1443366-50DC-4D90-9D16-FBC1970B1D45_zpsfuuelp8q.jpg
and my bench in the shed.
0652CBBE-1EFE-4A5C-995A-0FBF857ABD1B_zpsgkevkym3.jpg

Looks great!! One suggestion is to seat the bullets a hair deeper (maybe .030" deeper) and see if that takes care of the 2 in 1 out group dispersion. It's common to get that when loading them too close to the lands.. Great looking bench and reloading set-up too. Congrats to loading your own.

Might be comparing "apples to oranges" as I shoot/hand load every round of my Browning A Bolt .270WSM. Have tried assorted manufacturers bullets and powders in numerous combinations. My specific rifle is spot on with 130 grain bullets. Any heavier and one or more walks away from the group.
Lighter rounds do not demonstrate as much variety. Killed a large Idaho black bear at 22 yards. Bullet struck dead center heart lung as the bear sat facing me. Nosler 140 grain partition killed the bear. To my amazement there was an entrance hole and no exit wound at all. I explain my experience with my rifle accuracy with 130 grain bullets is guns are like people. People have preferences, likes and dislikes. My rifle is happiest as to tight group accuracy with130 grains. It shoots 160 grains nice enough I can count on accurate hunting shots at all distances. Kill shots on game come from knowing what your rifle is capable of at the gun range before relying on it to make the one shot kill. Enjoy the reloading and work at loading and shooting benches.

Looks great!! One suggestion is to seat the bullets a hair deeper (maybe .030" deeper) and see if that takes care of the 2 in 1 out group dispersion. It's common to get that when loading them too close to the lands.. Great looking bench and reloading set-up too. Congrats to loading your own.
Ill try that couple other depths. Im no where near lands, I pretty much maxed out the mag, but Ill try to go down a bit.
Dre

Might take the next step and measure the actual rifles chamber depth to see where the throat and the lands are set, and then play with seating depth and see where that leads. I find that .30/06 likes a bit more room before the lands like .007 where as the .270 seems to like .004 off the lands. Maybe it will work for you, maybe not! Congrats on learning to roll your own, you'l find much better results then most of the good stuff, and you can save some money in the process!

Might take the next step and measure the actual rifles chamber depth to see where the throat and the lands are set, and then play with seating depth and see where that leads. I find that .30/06 likes a bit more room before the lands like .007 where as the .270 seems to like .004 off the lands. Maybe it will work for you, maybe not! Congrats on learning to roll your own, you'l find much better results then most of the good stuff, and you can save some money in the process!
I did measure the chamber depth and it's also deep.
Bought one of those Sinclair chamber depth Guage. I trim my case to max book length for now as I have room.
Don't have my note book/notes with me right now.

Aint it fun? I have a 270 and a 30-06 as well. 130gr Sierra Gamekings and H4831 for the 270, 180gr Nosler Partitions and H4350 for the 30-06.

I've also used 150gr Barnes Tipped TSX and H4895 in the 30-06. Leaves big exit holes even in big animals.

My 270 shoots 130 ttsx really well and is my back for Elk. my tikka 06 likes the 168 ttsx and is my main Elk load. But they are expensive.
Trying to find bullets with similar BC and. Keep them at similar velocities for off season practice.

Ill try that couple other depths. Im no where near lands, I pretty much maxed out the mag, but Ill try to go down a bit.
Dre

Ahhh yes, I forgot about the mag box. I load for my buddies 270 tc venture so I should have remembered that. Your groups look great. My buddies venture is also damn accurate. His loves 130gr. partitions and 150gr. speer grandslams.

I literally hand loaded with a Lee hand loader for 35 years my 270, I fine thing to bring home the venison with hand loads. You really don't need the 06 except for fun.
Glad to see another self sufficient sort.

My 270 shoots 130 ttsx really well and is my back for Elk. my tikka 06 likes the 168 ttsx and is my main Elk load. But they are expensive.
Trying to find bullets with similar BC and. Keep them at similar velocities for off season practice.

In the BC world, monolithics like Barnes have the BC of a ping pong ball. Lots of bearing surface for their weight as they are longer than cup and core bullets of the same weight. You'll find load data is different at any given bullet weight vs a similarly heavy cup and core bullet.

.277 130gr Barnes TTSX BC: .392
.277 130gr Sierra GameKing BC: .436

You've discovered the 'secret' that most of us did too,that high end loads are seldom accurate loads, they just go faster and make more noise,

I don't disagree with this, but I do not treat it as an absolute.
I agree that as you start pushing the limits the group size will usually open up. I've found that the powders that generate the highest FPS will group better at any given velocity than other powders that are reaching their pressure limits. (ie, a powder that can generate 2800 fps will likely group better at 2700fps than another powder that is near max at 2700fps) Along with that, some of the powders that can generate the the highest velocities will do best closer to the limits.

Because of intangibles like this, RL22 has been my "go to" powder in the 30-06 for several years. If you're interested in leaning pretty hard on a good hunting bullet, I've found no other powder that does both velocity and accuracy as well.

I used this technique to find my lands. I didn't measure as I put the bullet down next to standard bullet and saw the difference and mag length came to mind. This is why I maxed out my mag and have no worries.

Last Edited:
The problem with modern day .270s in my experience is the throat lengths are so long it's difficult to find a 130gr class bullet that gets anywhere near the lands.
In my M700, 130gr BT spitzers fall completely out of the case before they reach the lands.
I bought a new 24" take-off barrel for it from a recently manufactured ADL and it's the same story.

I don't really mind though, because I've gone to 150gr slugs almost exclusively.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top