JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
UPDATE: Got the problem fixed; turns out I had my hammer spring incorrectly aligned.

Guys,

This is my first attempt at building an AR lower, or any sort of gunsmithing or digging into the internals of a firearm of any type.

I thought I followed the directions carefully with the Geissele SSA trigger (and watched the YouTube video from Bill Geissele), but for the ignorant and first timers like myself, the directions I've found don't go much further than "put the tigger assembly in, then put the hammer assembly in and make sure its springs rest on top of the trigger pin."

Somehow, I've messed things up.

Seems the hammer isn't engaging with the disconnector, and I don't have any real travel in the trigger to speak of at all.

I'm really, really lost here guys. Do any of these photos show something obvious?

That sure looks like the problem, doesn't it? Thanks, fellas.

Been trying to work the hammer assembly (with spring mounted correctly) down to the aligning the hole, and this thing's a bear. You guys got any tips or tricks?

The Geisselle is an AMAZING trigger- but it's also one of the most difficult to install. By no means hard but it takes some work.

I usually push the hammer in with it at a slight angle- partially cocked so to say. It allows a little more direct force, and the hammer face will "slide" down the trigger to the pin hole. Once it's basically there you CAN (not saying to do it, just that you can) cock the hammer to use the trigger as a third hand to help hold hammer in place.

Appreciate the help, guys.

I took a look at Bill Geissele's video on YouTube again and paid attention to exactly how ho finagled the hammer in and - wouldn't you know- it didn't take me more than a minute or two to get the pin started that time. Compared to most of my morning otherwise.

Learn from the masters, right?

So, everything looks squared away and seems to be function testing alright. Got some weird travel of about 1/16-1/8" on myA2 stock along the buffer tube, but other than that, my first AR looks good to go.

Gonna take it out to sight in my scope tomorrow and, with luck, will have some good news to report!

That sure looks like the problem, doesn't it? Thanks, fellas.

Been trying to work the hammer assembly (with spring mounted correctly) down to the aligning the hole, and this thing's a bear. You guys got any tips or tricks?

When I install a hammer/spring I use a tapered alignment tool I made from an old "Scratch Awl". The smaller point makes it easier to "catch" the hole in the hammer without having to have it perfectly lined up so the pin can be inserted. Once the alignment pin is in place you can move the hammer back and forth while inserting the pin from the other side of the lower.

Got some weird travel of about 1/16-1/8" on myA2 stock along the buffer tube, but other than that, my first AR looks good to go.

Did you get your buffer tube and stock from the same supplier? As a matched unit? This is pretty common when mixing aftermarket parts with "Milspec". Annoying but as long as the stock locks in place on the tube it won't cause much grief.

If you did get them as a unit from the same supplier, consider giving them a call and asking for a pair that "fit".

I think you missed the key though- A2. I meant to post yesterday- but where is the play in the stock? My only guess would be the spacer is missing, but once tightened there should still be no way for play in stock.

Did you get your buffer tube and stock from the same supplier? As a matched unit? This is pretty common when mixing aftermarket parts with "Milspec". Annoying but as long as the stock locks in place on the tube it won't cause much grief.

If you did get them as a unit from the same supplier, consider giving them a call and asking for a pair that "fit".

A2 kit all came together from RRA. Course, that's no guarantee all the parts came from the same place, but what can you do about that.

It functions just fine, but has a tendency to take a bit of skin on your thumb, is all. Just an annoyance.

I think you missed the key though- A2. I meant to post yesterday- but where is the play in the stock? My only guess would be the spacer is missing, but once tightened there should still be no way for play in stock.

A2 spacer is in there (and aligned correctly). Screw is tightened all the way down. Best way to describe it is that the stock moves up and down the buffer tube/spacer, while the screw stays immobile. Does that make sense?

A2 spacer is in there (and aligned correctly). Screw is tightened all the way down. Best way to describe it is that the stock moves up and down the buffer tube/spacer, while the screw stays immobile. Does that make sense?

You're right, I missed the "A-2" part. Too many Birthdays I guess.
Is the Stock moving at the front where it comes in contact with the receiver?

Could it be that the spacer is a little too thick for that buttstock and is the stock isn't tight enough to the buffer/receive?

Last question--Is the buffer tube screwed in enough? Should be torqued to just under 40#.

Man I just don't see how it's possible off memory- the screw goes through the tube so when fully tight the Tube/Spacer/Stock and receiver "become one". The stock should sit in the relief in the receiver preventing side to side. Maybe get some pics up?

Man I just don't see how it's possible off memory- the screw goes through the tube so when fully tight the Tube/Spacer/Stock and receiver "become one". The stock should sit in the relief in the receiver preventing side to side. Maybe get some pics up?

Yes, pic's would help. What you said all depends on what it "should" do but if one company made the spacer too thick, a buffer tube is too long, or the buttstock is a little too short, all may be within specs but when they "stack" that's where the problem starts.

If there's any gap between the receiver and stock I'd first see if the buffer is screwed in fully and torqued.

These are things that are covered by the "Gunsmith's" at the factory. If things don't fit properly the problem is fixed through parts replacement, parts modification, etc. When we "Build our Own" WE become those 'smiths.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top