JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked up my first AR rifle and super excited! It has a 16.1 inch barrel with 1 in 7 twist, 5.56. Can some of you with more experience let me know what weight bullet you would recommend?

I'll mostly be just target shooting for fun, 25 to 100 yards, but like to get good groups.

Even the lighter bullets, those under 50 grains can work out to reasonable distances just fine, but the ideal weight is going to be 60 grain and up, with the 70's and mid 80's being best for long range work! I have had mixed results with 85 grain and above with the 1/7 twist barrels, so it would seem, up to 80 grain works for me for the intended purposes!

Even the lighter bullets, those under 50 grains can work out to reasonable distances just fine, but the ideal weight is going to be 60 grain and up, with the 70's and mid 80's being best for long range work! I have had mixed results with 85 grain and above with the 1/7 twist barrels, so it would seem, up to 80 grain works for me for the intended purposes!

With all the smoke we had for those 10 days, I couldn't work outside in the yard, so I spent time in the garage loading a few hundred .223 with 69 grain Nosler BTHP bullets for my 16" carbine. Now I need to get it out to at least 300 yards to test and record some sight settings.

The 55g Nosler Ballistic Tip is of a longer profile than probably any other 55g bullet, granting it versatility in twists across the range in most .223's. The two bonuses it comes with are phenomenal accuracy in just about any rifle, and deadly effectiveness on Prairie Dogs to Pronghorns.

My starting load for any recently acquired .223 is 25.0grains of H335, and a benchrest primer with the Nosler bullet. Below max, safe in all guns tried, flawlessly reliable function in automatics, and creates a solid baseline for comparison toward further load development. Often it is also the final choice.

Yep, fire companies will hose down my neighbor's houses, and watch my place burn. Primer, Powders, stored per Federal Regs. :rolleyes:
ETA, IIRC, the limit is 10K primers, 45# powders.

I'll at this point only invoke what a previous (incompetent) boss used frequently when the pressure was on:

"Oh!...I wasn't aware of that."

This might help. 20190129_173831.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews