1st AR. What bullet weight would work best?

Phillyfan

Reactions
Picked up my first AR rifle and super excited! It has a 16.1 inch barrel with 1 in 7 twist, 5.56. Can some of you with more experience let me know what weight bullet you would recommend?

I'll mostly be just target shooting for fun, 25 to 100 yards, but like to get good groups.

Even the lighter bullets, those under 50 grains can work out to reasonable distances just fine, but the ideal weight is going to be 60 grain and up, with the 70's and mid 80's being best for long range work! I have had mixed results with 85 grain and above with the 1/7 twist barrels, so it would seem, up to 80 grain works for me for the intended purposes!

Reactions
Even the lighter bullets, those under 50 grains can work out to reasonable distances just fine, but the ideal weight is going to be 60 grain and up, with the 70's and mid 80's being best for long range work! I have had mixed results with 85 grain and above with the 1/7 twist barrels, so it would seem, up to 80 grain works for me for the intended purposes!
With all the smoke we had for those 10 days, I couldn’t work outside in the yard, so I spent time in the garage loading a few hundred .223 with 69 grain Nosler BTHP bullets for my 16” carbine. Now I need to get it out to at least 300 yards to test and record some sight settings.

Spitpatch

Reactions
The 55g Nosler Ballistic Tip is of a longer profile than probably any other 55g bullet, granting it versatility in twists across the range in most .223's. The two bonuses it comes with are phenomenal accuracy in just about any rifle, and deadly effectiveness on Prairie Dogs to Pronghorns.

My starting load for any recently acquired .223 is 25.0grains of H335, and a benchrest primer with the Nosler bullet. Below max, safe in all guns tried, flawlessly reliable function in automatics, and creates a solid baseline for comparison toward further load development. Often it is also the final choice.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Lead Farm Precision Rifle Match
The Lead Farm
34006 Gwinn Rd, Prosser, WA 99350, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom