Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WTS/WTT OR 1988 Suburban 4x4 or Tow Rig Project (Tranny maybe went out?)

Discussion in 'Non-Firearm Item Classifieds' started by sobe911, May 14, 2015.

1. sobe911

sobe911 Portland Member

Original craigslist posting found here: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5024450549.html
    EDIT: For some reason unbeknownst to me, my craigslist post was flagged for removal minutes after I posted it... WTF... The entire listings contents are as shown below, so if you have any idea why it's "inappropriate" then please let me know so I can repost and not have it deleted... :(
    I'm just gonna copy / paste, and leave this here...

Hey folks.

So here's the story on this Suburban. I'm gonna give it to ya straight.

THE OFFICIATED TITLE / NAME: 1988 GMC Suburban Sierra Classic 1500 4x4

Sierra Classic means POWER everything.
    POWER Windows, POWER Locks, POWER Steering, and YES. The brakes STOP THIS BEAST! (Gradually.....)

Also, the stereo works. You can't get the value too high due to the age of the speakers, but you can comfortably cruise and listen to music at the same time to drown out the road noise.

I bought this beastly mofugga almost exactly 1 year ago. I had the seller meet me at my girlfriends parents, where I was living at the time. Her mother referred to it as "the beast". I moved it to my parents house after I measured the garage, because it is the beast. My mother proceeded to call it "the beast" as well as every other human being graced with the privilege of seeing this monster. I live in an apartment with obviously limited parking now, and my parents understandably want this giant thing out of their garage.

I have left it parked at my parents since I got it because the flex plate was cracked. I maybe drove it on 3 occasions. To pick up a queen sized mattress, to pick up a foos ball table, and to pick up a TV.

I wanted to turn it into a 4x4 project, however there were a few problems with this for me. #1 I don't have any friends that are into it. #2 I have a pregnant girlfriend. And #3 I don't have the time for it.

It's seriously a great 4x4 project, with a little bit of work it could be the perfect tow rig as well.

Specs & The Down Low:
    MOTOR: Original 350 SBC Throttle Body Injected 5.7L V8 - unknown miles. Could be 200k 300k not sure. But this motor sounds really strong. However, the A/C compressor is seized. It needs to have the exhaust manifold gasket replaced, and I'm pretty sure that with a minor service it would sound even better.

TRANNY: 700r4 - unknown miles. Previous owned claimed it had a stage 2 shift kit. I had the flex plate replaced, and when I started my truck at the person who worked on it's house it was making a strange noise... I drove it about 30 yards, and lost power to my wheels. The noise went away. HMMM. Anyway, I'm not 100% sure that the tranny is bad. It could be that he didn't seat the torque converter all the way. 700r4's are a dime a dozen, and if you have this rig as project you can still probably rebuild it for cheap CHEAP C H E A P!!!!!!! ! ! ! ! !

Transfer Case: NP208 I think... Or 205. Don't remember... If this is SUPER important, I'll go to my parents and figure it out.

Front Axle: Dana 44 - front left manual locking hub is broken. :(

Rear Axle: Corp 14 Bolt. This axle is ready for some serious hauling. Drum brakes.

Tires: 38" Super Swampers. You could probably go mudding with these tires, but they're in bad shape. I had a full size spare, but it's rolling on that spare now and the tire that I had to pull off ( flat ) doesn't seem repairable, and it came off the bead.

Lift: Shackle flip, extra leaf springs. Not sure. I'm a Subaru guy, I don't really have a ton of experience with trucks, so it's all pure speculation. I've had several people who are knowledgeable with 4x4's tell me that my lift is pretty decent (all suspension). I take their word on it. Someone I know that goes wheeling and has a nice Chevy Cheyenne wants to trade me his 4" lift for my lift.

IN TERMS OF TOWING CAPACITY: The truck is wired for a 5 point and 4 point harness (one is disconnected). Unfortunately the previous owner removed the trailer brake controller.
    I'm pretty sure that the corp 14 and extra leaf springs would give this thing some serious hauling capacity. The only thing that'll restrict you is the motor (i think? or maybe the 350 sbc is some amazingly torquey motor. I have no idea. I am a Subaru lover). The manual locking hubs in the front axle are bigger than factory I think, because I got new manual locking hubs to replace the factory ones since the front left one broke, and they were too small.
    TL;DR
    Truck has 3/4 ton axles, and many leaf springs in the rear, in addition to a 5 point and 4 point harness. Tow your step-moms camper off your property finally!

The Good:
    INTERIOR is in OK shape. The dash is torn up due to the previous owner removing his CB radio by cutting a hole around the mounting bracket instead of unscrewing it... goddamnit. Also, he decided to install some tweeters or small speakers by cutting a hole in the dash. It's like, a foam dash. It's ridiculous. The front seats are not factory, they're really comfortable captains chairs. The 2 front seatbelts are 4 point harnesses (Crow Enterprizes) and the previous owner had completely removed the factory seatbelts... Very annoying. I'm sorry for not replacing these... Hahaha. Anyway. To be 100% honest, the interior is not perfect at all, but it is pretty nice in some aspects such as the seats not being torn or ripped or really noticeably worn that badly... It SMELLS REALLY NICE!!! Not sure why.

THE GLASS SITUATION:
    The windshield is unfortunately cracked. It's not SUPER bad, but it is. It doesn't impede your vision.
    The rear-passenger window is cracked but still together, and rolls up and down.
    The rear-(bed-area?)passenger side long panel of glass for the "bed?" is also cracked.

WINDOW MOTOR SITUATION:
    The drivers window motor makes no noise at all, and definitely needs to be replaced. The passenger window motor makes noise, and currently has to be rolled up and down by hand. That being said I'm pretty sure it's just off the track and an easy fix once you remove the door panel. Both rear windows roll up and down nicely.

Other Misc Bad Things & Other Stuff & Also A Quick Recap:
    -Missing the grille - These are easy to find, it just wasn't exactly a priority for me.
    -A/C Compressor Seized - pulled the fuse for A/C for now.
    -Barn Door - The button next to the handle fell out. You need to open the barn doors with a screwdriver.
    -Driver window = won't roll down. Passenger window = rolls down by hand. Rear windows = OK
    -TRANNY MIGHT NOT BE BAD. It could be the torque converter. Park works. Drive, reverse, all that? Nope...
    -Front left manual locking hub is broken.
    -Needs new tires.
    -Needs a steering stabilizer.
    -I pulled the chrome trim off all the way around the truck. CHROME SUCKS!
    -I was going to paint it, but I don't have a DA sander... So I tried to sand the front fender by hand. I gave up, and primed it to keep it from rusting. Speaking of which, there's a little rust on the truck, but NONE on the frame. No holes. The rust on this truck is really minor, and not a huge deal at all.

The GREAT!:
    -I pulled the chrome trim off all the way around the truck. CHROME SUCKS!
    -Motor runs strong.
    -Smells good. Seriously.
    -GREAT 4x4 or Tow Rig project - This truck has a lot of good parts on it already.
    -Interior upholstery is pretty good, except for the dash. The barn doors are at about 50% (the paneling on the inside fell off on one of them... kinda.)
    -4 point harnesses in the front.
    -With the parts that it has, it offers a lot of potential.

Don't hesitate to shoot me a text or give me a call with any questions. I'd really like to get CASH out of this. If you don't feel that $1000.00 is fair, then feel free to make an offer.

Yes, I'll entertain firearm trades. I'm interested in Glock 21SF, Glock 20, Glock 30S... Can't think of much more I'm interested in, but the worst I can say is "no".

Cheers. Thanks for reading, if you made it this far. Hahaha

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  2. shotsfired

shotsfired Ridgefield Active Member

It's "inappropriate" because it has scary words liberal , progressive, dems ,HATE like Glock and firearm that's why it was Flagged

3. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

:s0122:Got any pics?

4. sobe911

sobe911 Portland Member

pics

FB_20150415_14_05_49_Saved_Picture.jpg

V__C80F.jpg

V__8B03.jpg

V__C0AD.jpg

V__DC7E.jpg

V__7FF9.jpg

5. FireArm

FireArm Beavercreek 97004 Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I have a 2006 forester thats crash with a good 2.5 motor and trans. Trade?