JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Spring Bump...Riding weather is NOW! This is a real old school classic cruiser folks. If you've never ridden in winter with heated grips a full fairing and a pair of 500cc foot warmers, you will be shocked at how comfortable it actually is!

Hi batcat6,

I am going by the comments of the previous owner. The odometer numbers are not in perfect alignment and currently read something like 13,988 or so...and I "think" the odometer works..I know the speedo works. It was bought in 2005 and I have put maybe 2000mi on it since. When I first got it home in 2005, I did a complete "freshen up" on the bike, every part was inspected and either replaced, refurbished, or reinstalled. The only components that will need attention in the future is the clutch disc and tires. The clutch is fine now but was less than half-life remaining. Still, the clutch works perfectly and will pull any hill at full throttle. The tires are serviceable and have plenty of tread but, are “old”. If you are familiar with the Beemers, you are aware of the gearbox splines requiring lube to prevent the clutch splines from sticking…from time to time I think it may need attention but that is a “relatively” easy task. The last “long” trip I went on was to Mt. St. Helens a couple years ago and it performed flawlessly. Honestly, the only thing I “worry” about is the electronic ignition. Ironically, it is probably the most reliable part barring any lightning strikes! The 79 was a transition year as far as the ignition goes and the previous owner converted it over from points/condenser to the Hall effect transducer module. The “box” can be seen in the under seat (online slideshow) photo just ahead of the orange colored battery.
Moving on, the new parts that I can remember in no particular order… shocks/springs, seat/pan, genuine BMW windscreen, genuine BMW heated grips, all three brake calipers/master cylinders were rebuilt, the brake pads are fine. The forks were disassembled, flushed and reassembled with new seals, the pistons were re-ringed and the cylinders were honed just a bit to break-in the new rings, the big end rod bearings were replaced. The original big valve cylinder heads were too expensive to restore so I sold them to fund a good set from an early R100/7. The valves seem to seal fine although I haven’t done a compression test to verify. New stainless head pipes/crossover pipe were installed. The gearbox was flushed and refilled with a quality synthetic gear lube, the rear final drive was replaced, cleaned/flushed/greased, with a used unit with better condition drive splines. The swingarm bearings were inspected, cleaned, greased, reinstalled. The carburetors were completely disassembled, cleaned and resealed. The frame itself was inspected, cleaned, sanded, repainted here and there as needed. A new “fancy” battery and all functioning electrics including the clock. Also, as you would expect, all engine seals were replaced as I went along…no leaks worthy of mention. The intent was not to make the bike “perfect”, just clean and reliable. This was my third BMW and second “restoration”. After the first restoration, which I did try to make perfect, I learned a valuable lesson… the cost is remarkable and you will lose your shirt at sale time! I didn’t want a repeat. If I were to look at my receipts…no, I guess I don’t want to do that! Have you ever looked up the price of a genuine BMW electronic turn signal flasher? Yeah, it’s in there…$$$.

Well, thats all I can think of, let me know if you have any more questions or need any additional photos.

I will be leaving on a trip this Wednesday till July 7th or 8th so, I will be out of touch till then.

Ed

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top